2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling heat shield attatched to transaxle

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Rattling heat shield attatched to transaxle

Has anyone encountered this yet? I got the car up on wheel ramps, found the rattle in a second! I'll post pics when I am home, but if you can picture it, it's a very weird washer setup, it basically allows the heat shield to vibrate while keeping it secured to the mount, or whatever it is, on the transaxle. There is wha appears to be like, steel wool as part of the gasket setup, it's so odd! Reason I post here is because I can't figure out how to remove the washer setup, it appears to be permanently attached to the heat shield. The rattle is gone at this very second, bizarrely, though I am sure it will come back shortly. I didn't do anything aside from unbolting the heat shield and reattaching it.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Those washers/steel wool things are definitely permanently attached to the shield and i think they're designed so that the shield is able to vibrate a bit when tightened up without causing any noises. (although its not working as designed on yours). I actually had some axle issues a year or so back and had to replaced the metal clamps that hold the rubber boots on with giant plastic zip ties. Unfortunately, the plastic ties stuck out more than the flush metal bands and one of them rubbed on that shield every revolution. I drove that way for a couple of weeks until I couldn't stand it anymore and removed the shield entirely. I think it protects the axles and grease from the intense heat of the catalytic converter, but I've been driving with mine off for over a year without issue.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks so much for the response! Very helpful!! In case anyone ends up curious, I am posting the photos as promised earlier.

The top picture shows the problem washer-setup, and the bottom picture shows an identical washer-setup that is at the other end of the heat shield. You can see a difference, if my photos are okay. The top washer-setup is clean and in tact, whereas the problem washer-setup is gunked up and worn.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Just found this parts diagram... it appears that the heat shield and washers are manufactured together permanently, as one part. At least it's only a $32 part if it needs replacing.

: COVER, HEAT | OEM Parts @ Honda Parts Cheap

Old 12-27-2011, 10:29 PM
if that link doesn't work, I also found the diagram on the Honda Owner's Link eStore. Part no. 19 in the diagram.

Honda online store : 2010 fit driveshaft - half shaft (at) parts

Old 12-27-2011, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Can you describe the rattle as to when it happens?

I've been dealing with a "rattle" or noise under the front of the car, while in gear, moving and mostly when accelerating in 4th or 5th under load, but it comes and goes. It sounds like a grinding metallic noise.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Can you describe the rattle as to when it happens?

I've been dealing with a "rattle" or noise under the front of the car, while in gear, moving and mostly when accelerating in 4th or 5th under load, but it comes and goes. It sounds like a grinding metallic noise.
My rattle is definitely only during idle. When in gear it's worse. When the A/C is on it is worse. Once the car is under any load, I mean, the very second my foot is off the brake and on the accelerator to get going, it stops.

It sounds very rhythmic. I actually thought there was something caught in the fan, but that was sort of a silly thought, because it is a much more metallic rattling noise than that.

I tried to make a recording of it, but there was too much ambient noise to really hear it.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
My wife and cousin both had a "rattle" and it was the rear license plate that vibrates at a certain rpm. Go figure! 2 extra bolts and solved. You can test with some blue tape.