2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

License Plate Bolt Size ?

Old 01-29-2012, 03:28 PM
License Plate Bolt Size ?

The yahoos at the dealership cross threaded the license plate bolts and I discovered the bolts will on go in half way.

I bought the car used and it included a 1 month warranty which of course when I got my permanent plate a month later the warranty ran its course.

Does anybody know the correct bolt/screw to use? I'm doubting the ones I have are even the correct size.

I would hate to have to get the bolt hole re-tapped so I am hoping someone might know which type of bolt to buy. I am assuming it is a metric but not sure of the diameter and the thread pitch or count.

As for the dealer, this is the second car I bought from them and probably the last. If they are too lazy to get the corrects bolts, I am sure they are slacking on the "125 point inspection" as well.

Thanks,

Schwimm

Old 01-29-2012, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by schwimmair
The yahoos at the dealership cross threaded the license plate bolts and I discovered the bolts will on go in half way.

I bought the car used and it included a 1 month warranty which of course when I got my permanent plate a month later the warranty ran its course.

Does anybody know the correct bolt/screw to use? I'm doubting the ones I have are even the correct size.

I would hate to have to get the bolt hole re-tapped so I am hoping someone might know which type of bolt to buy. I am assuming it is a metric but not sure of the diameter and the thread pitch or count.

As for the dealer, this is the second car I bought from them and probably the last. If they are too lazy to get the corrects bolts, I am sure they are slacking on the "125 point inspection" as well.

Thanks,

Schwimm

Half way? How far is that? And did they snug up to th temp plate?. Do the temp bolts have a shoulder instead of full thread? And how come the dealer won't supply you with the correct bolt? They ought to have bags of them. Use a matching hex head of matching threads to tap the threads
to the original.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Half way? How far is that? And did they snug up to th temp plate?. Do the temp bolts have a shoulder instead of full thread? And how come the dealer won't supply you with the correct bolt? They ought to have bags of them. Use a matching hex head of matching threads to tap the threads
to the original.
mahout, thanks for the help. As for the dealer it was Carmax not a Honda dealer but you would think they would see enough Honda's to know which type to install.

After researching I found out cars use 2 type of license plate screws/bolts.

Some use a standard screw which looks more like a screw. The threads on these are spaced wider apart and has a pointy end.

Others use metric screws which looks more like a bolt. The threads are spaced closer and the end is flat.

I am guessing only U.S. manufacturers use standard screws, as the rest of the world is on the metric system.

Carmax used a standard screw on my Fit but luckily didn't do any damage as I could hand tighten the metric bolts all the way into the hole with ease.

I am doubting this will be hopeful to anyone but the metric bolt size in a M6 (6mm) and was 20mm long.

I got my bolts from Home Depot. They are Crown Bolt brand and that package says:

Flange Bolts
M6-1.0 x 20mm
Zinc Plated

The SKU is 030699363988.

I am guessing this is a universal size so I am sure a zillion places has this size.

Schwimm

Old 05-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by schwimmair
mahout, thanks for the help. As for the dealer it was Carmax not a Honda dealer but you would think they would see enough Honda's to know which type to install.

After researching I found out cars use 2 type of license plate screws/bolts.

Some use a standard screw which looks more like a screw. The threads on these are spaced wider apart and has a pointy end.

Others use metric screws which looks more like a bolt. The threads are spaced closer and the end is flat.

I am guessing only U.S. manufacturers use standard screws, as the rest of the world is on the metric system.

Carmax used a standard screw on my Fit but luckily didn't do any damage as I could hand tighten the metric bolts all the way into the hole with ease.

I am doubting this will be hopeful to anyone but the metric bolt size in a M6 (6mm) and was 20mm long.

I got my bolts from Home Depot. They are Crown Bolt brand and that package says:

Flange Bolts
M6-1.0 x 20mm
Zinc Plated

The SKU is 030699363988.

I am guessing this is a universal size so I am sure a zillion places has this size.

Schwimm
Thank you very much for posting this information. This is the exact issue I have! I'm headed to the Home Depot this afternoon for the quick fix. Thanks again!

- Curtis

Old 05-30-2013, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
I just bought some stainless bolts and screws for the license plates. Rear license plate is M6 x 15 or 20mm. The front license plate is held in with what looks like wood screws. These are probably metric, but the closest I could find at my local hardware store is #14 x 1/2".