2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Going to be living close to the beach

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Going to be living close to the beach

i have a cold air intake on my car right now.. and I was thinking about moving down to the beach area in a few months to start up college again... From my understanding areas like the beach are always raining alot and flooding. I had friends and family members who have hydrolocked cars before in this area...

Should I be ok with leaving my cold air intake on?? has anyone hydrolocked their fit with a cold air intake yet?

Old 01-31-2012, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
I had friends and family members who have hydrolocked cars before in this area...
I think that's your answer right there.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I think that's your answer right there.
i also forgot to include that they all drove Saturns.. a friend from college.. and a cousin.. they are both girls.. i don't mean to sound sexist.. but perhaps they don't pay attention when they drive?

the location that i will be moving to is literally less then a mile away from a beach.. its a school basically on the Beach...

it kinda sucks to throw on the stock intake on there. iam not even sure which way the stock filter was originally flipped.. i might have to buy a new filter.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Well, I don't have a CAI, never have used a CAI before (won't say I never will, but I probably won't), so I can't tell much more than that.

I think the stock filter only really goes in one way (down into the bottom half of the box).

Old 01-31-2012, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Unless the CAI plumbing extends the intake to a different area, I don't think it would be any more prone to hydro-lock than stock.

Here's a stock fit that bought it in New Orleans.

Don't drive through standing water.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:53 PM
The one downside to living at the beach is the corrosive salt air. I lived at the beach in L.A. when I owned my '90 CRX si at it destroyed the electrical system. Cost me around 2K to get it all replaced.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GTRPLYR
The one downside to living at the beach is the corrosive salt air. I lived at the beach in L.A. when I owned my '90 CRX si at it destroyed the electrical system. Cost me around 2K to get it all replaced.
Life is beach eh?

I am going out to play in the sand and salt slush on our streets later.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
I got my GE Fit when it was less than a year old with only 4K on the tach. When I checked it out, it had lots of white power everywhere in and around the engine and compartment. It was easy to clean off most of it. When I researched where the car originally came from, it turned out to be along the seashore in Maryland. That salt air gets into everything.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by einstein77
...it had lots of white power everywhere...

i wouldn't worry about driving with a CAI. you know exactly how low your filter is if you installed it yourself.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris
I saw that episode... that's just sooooo wrong. HAHA.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:29 AM
I live across the street from the beach and my road floods a lot. I would just be very careful when going through puddles as you really don't know how deep they are. Try to size them up by comparing them to how high the curb is and the level of the water. I'm sure the friends you had who've had this problem drove fast through the puddle/flood.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by adolan21
I live across the street from the beach and my road floods a lot. I would just be very careful when going through puddles as you really don't know how deep they are. Try to size them up by comparing them to how high the curb is and the level of the water. I'm sure the friends you had who've had this problem drove fast through the puddle/flood.

yeah see!!! iam going to be like SUPER close to the beach like that.... and everyone has been warning me about those kind of puddles are everywhere, and it floods all the time.... yeah i think i'll enjoy this CAI for several more months, and in May, I'll swap back to my stock intake before i move down there for the summer and for the school year.

i firgured it out.. yeah i was putting back together the stock intake today and noticed it had that little clip on the filter so its impossible to put it in backwards, i got it dirty from throwing it around.. but i guess that doesn't matter too much that theres greese on the opposite side of it.

after examining the stock intake... what the heck is that compartment for?? like that little box compartment that doesn't connect to the intake AT ALL, and it even has screws there for it.. is that just for sound? thats kind of a waste of space IMO.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Purchase an AEM bypass valve and call it a day. Just be smart and you should be ok!
AEM Air Bypass Valve for Cold Air Intakes - Prevents Hydro-lock

Good luck and enjoy the beach!