2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cutting and programming the transponder keys

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Cutting and programming the transponder keys

This isn't as much for my fit as it is for my wife's 2012 accord, she seems to have misplaced her keys, I want to get a new one so I can have my spare back. They want $175 ($110 of that is programming and cutting) at the dealership so that's not so good. I found a replacement key/fob for $40 online so I would like to have the key cut and programmed elsewhere if possible. Any suggestions? I saw a sign at Walmart that they do that now but I'm not so sure I trust those people.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Well at walmart it either works or it doesn't. That said, they need to have the Honda software to talk to the car's immobilizer and is typically a dealer only sort of thing.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
After recently getting the Acura switchblade key programmed (immobilizer) & cut at a Honda dealer (for my GE8) I can tell you that most if not all Honda dealers wont cut an after market key, not sure about the Walmart or Home Depot procedures. I know Home Depot now has a set up for cutting their own keys with transponders, but as mentioned either it will work or it wont.

If you wanted to go a less expensive route, you could've just gone straight to Walmart or HD, and get one of their keys cut. Or you can check and see if they will cut your current aftermarket key.

or

Buy an authentic Honda key (cheaper online), and call all the dealers in your area & see who will cut & program the transponder at a reasonable price. After spending hours calling up the Honda dealers ~close to me I finally found one who would program the immobilizer for $50 + tax, and as a courtesy cut it for free. That was the best price I found, but I heard some ridiculous quotes even as high as $175 to cut & program my own key.... and then they even told me that they wouldn't guarantee it would work.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
I'd just as soon suck it up and eat the cost. $175 is a lot... but how often are you doing this?

When I borrowed my sister's Pathfinder, one of the first things I did was get a new key. This was a 1999.5 (ie early 2000) model Pathfinder, that I borrowed in 2008. The key costed me $120 to cut and program (did not include FOB). I only borrowed it for about 2 years. It's funny... after giving the Pathfinder back to them (she and her husband)... they lost one of the keys again.

Which goes to my second point... if this is happening often... you might need to reconsider how the keys are kept (in purse, in pocket, on chain, off a hook, etc).

Old 07-12-2012, 01:47 PM
A little info here.
Honda Mall of Georgia Serving Buford, GA, New, Used Cars - Honda Transponder Keys

If your in Atlanta...I can hook you up!

Old 07-12-2012, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
After recently getting the Acura switchblade key programmed (immobilizer) & cut at a Honda dealer (for my GE8) I can tell you that most if not all Honda dealers wont cut an after market key, not sure about the Walmart or Home Depot procedures. I know Home Depot now has a set up for cutting their own keys with transponders, but as mentioned either it will work or it wont.

Regading this part, don't call a Hardware store for quotes on Automotive keys (unless you have a classic "dumb" car without electronics)

Your alternate source other than Dealer is local locksmiths. Automotive is probably half if not more of a modern Locksmith's work. They know car keys arguably better than the dealer (or at least can tell you a locksmith buddy who knows your particular car).
But knowledge and expertise is not free, so don't expect locksmith to be automatically doing stuff just for "cost".

Last edited by raytseng; 07-12-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Our dealership charges $52 to program a key, free to cut one. So call around.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Shit if you are around north Texas I'll hook you up like a tow truck! Doesn't take long to program a key. I'd get a key for $30 and program it for free for you.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member

If you wanted to go a less expensive route, you could've just gone straight to Walmart or HD, and get one of their keys cut. Or you can check and see if they will cut your current aftermarket key.

or

Buy an authentic Honda key (cheaper online), and call all the dealers in your area & see who will cut & program the transponder at a reasonable price. After spending hours calling up the Honda dealers ~close to me I finally found one who would program the immobilizer for $50 + tax, and as a courtesy cut it for free. That was the best price I found, but I heard some ridiculous quotes even as high as $175 to cut & program my own key.... and then they even told me that they wouldn't guarantee it would work.
I would love to also upgrade my key to the Acura switchblade key. Where did you buy the key and do you have a part number? Also, I have called one Honda dealer and they said their cutting equipment does not work on Acura keys. I will keep trying other dealerships to hopefully get a more positive answer.
Thanks,
Aitor

Old 07-12-2012, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
Regading this part, don't call a Hardware store for quotes on Automotive keys (unless you have a classic "dumb" car without electronics)
Wrong "part". I never recommended calling for quotes or getting keys cut at Walmart or HD.

Originally Posted by Aitor
..... Where did you buy the key and do you have a part number? ......
I think it was Hondapartsnow.com or hondapartsunlimited.com basically any online Honda parts dealer will be cheaper than your local dealer for buying the key. A few years ago the key was $27 then Honda bumped the price up by almost $100 more.

Just to be clear, I'd only recommend a Honda dealer to cut the key & program the immobilizer.

Trust me almost all the dealers around me wanted to overcharge, and some wouldn't even cut it if you didn't buy it from them.
Aitor, don't give up, expand your search to other Honda service depts around your area. Call all of them up and see who will cut it for the least expensive price ( I had to call over 20 or so dealers to get the best price and no hassle for bringing my own Honda key). When I brought mine to the dealer to cut & program I put it back in the Honda packaging it came with before giving it to them, I wouldn't worry about one Honda service dept not cutting an Acura key, many others have and will cut it for you.

Here's the part #'s you need for a GE8
Finally got this mod done last week, but still have to get the key cut, and the immobilizer programmed. I got the Acura key (35113-TL0-A10), and the RDX cover swap (35118-STK-A01). Swapped covers, and had the keyless programmed in less than 15 minutes. I only wish I bought the damn Acura key when it was ~ $27.. ......
I'd also strongly recommend reading this thread ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...e-key-fob.html
The majority of that thread is for GD3 owners, but it also mentions the correct process for GE8's.... lost of good info in that thread.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
fair enough, i'm just saying expand your search and try calling locksmiths too. they do a lot of auto keying work.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:52 PM
I have a switchblade on my fit. Got the same immobi number from a tsx, bought that key, had parts cut it with my code, then programmed it with the Acura scanner/HDS. Bam never had to leave work

Old 07-12-2012, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Wrong "part". I never recommended calling for quotes or getting keys cut at Walmart or HD.

I think it was Hondapartsnow.com or hondapartsunlimited.com basically any online Honda parts dealer will be cheaper than your local dealer for buying the key. A few years ago the key was $27 then Honda bumped the price up by almost $100 more.

Just to be clear, I'd only recommend a Honda dealer to cut the key & program the immobilizer.

Trust me almost all the dealers around me wanted to overcharge, and some wouldn't even cut it if you didn't buy it from them.
Aitor, don't give up, expand your search to other Honda service depts around your area. Call all of them up and see who will cut it for the least expensive price ( I had to call over 20 or so dealers to get the best price and no hassle for bringing my own Honda key). When I brought mine to the dealer to cut & program I put it back in the Honda packaging it came with before giving it to them, I wouldn't worry about one Honda service dept not cutting an Acura key, many others have and will cut it for you.

Here's the part #'s you need for a GE8

I'd also strongly recommend reading this thread ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...e-key-fob.html
The majority of that thread is for GD3 owners, but it also mentions the correct process for GE8's.... lost of good info in that thread.
Very cool. Thanks for all the info. I will definitely try all dealers in San Diego and even LA.
A

Old 07-12-2012, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by eurobeaner
.....Got the same immobi number from a tsx, bought that key......
This is very important information actually. Just in case one wants to double check and make sure the key will work, checking the immobilizer #, and FCC ID#'s on the OEM stock key & Acura switchblade key will confirm that they will more thank likely work.

Lucky you eurobeaner... it's good to work at a dealer...

No prob Aitor, anytime.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:42 PM
For sure. I had parts grab a TL, tsx, mdx, rdx key. I think it was the 09 tsx key that matched up. Expensive even with my cost. $110 or so? Worth it. Had the same key for y element. Now all I need is the RDX face plate and It will eliminate the "trunk" button that does not work

Old 07-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Having a wife that works for Mazda, I have to ask.

Mazda doesn't program the key, they program the unit in the car. It's really not all that different than pairing your sony playstation or wii controllers. They plug into the OBD, insert the key and the unit in the car stores the key's code. Takes all of about 3 seconds, really.

Does Honda program the keys instead?

Old 07-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Im the parts manager at a Honda dealer. I would love to offer these flip keys as an option for our customers...but they just seem problematic.

Any sources for these better than others?
My give it a try.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SgtBaxter
Having a wife that works for Mazda, I have to ask.

Mazda doesn't program the key, they program the unit in the car. It's really not all that different than pairing your sony playstation or wii controllers. They plug into the OBD, insert the key and the unit in the car stores the key's code. Takes all of about 3 seconds, really.

Does Honda program the keys instead?
It's just terminology.
The way you describe it is more accurate, the main computer/control unit is in the car and not the keys. but people casually talk about programming "keys" in terms of just the whole keying system.

It is the same as people throw around the term "motor" when that is inappropriate in technical talk for automotive engines (or is it? endless debate over this). Or "wheel"/"tire", or "petrol"/"gas". But as long as your audience understands what you mean, then just let it slide, which is the underlying principle of language and communication over semantic rules.

Last edited by raytseng; 07-13-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jables90
Shit if you are around north Texas I'll hook you up like a tow truck! Doesn't take long to program a key. I'd get a key for $30 and program it for free for you.

Is this offer still on the table? Can you still program Honda keys?? I lost my keys to my 2002 Honda CRV I already have a replacement key that just needs to be programmed. Please contact me back ASAP.

lindsay.morales462@gmail.com

Old 10-29-2013, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Jables90
I'm sorry my email is lindsay.ellis462@gmail.com, and I can pay you for it!

Quick Reply: Cutting and programming the transponder keys