2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Speaker upgrades? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think I need spacers, but you can see the fitment on my progress page. +40 Offset is pushing it w/o fender modification (I get some slight rubbing on hard turns/bumps but nothing major)

The lens cover is nothing more than ebay foglight vinyl

Old 03-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Hi all,

First time poster - I recently purchased my 2012 Fit about a month ago and want to switch out the stock head unit and speakers. This is my first time putting together a car stereo, but I put my home surround sound together so this can't be that much harder, right?

Anyway, I'm in the process of purchasing all the parts. Please let me know if I'm missing anything as I'd like to get this all done at one time so I don't have to keep taking my car apart.

1) Scosche 010HA1708B double din w/ pocket
2) JVC KDA925 head unit
3) Speaker wire adapter harness
4) Scosche Head unit harness (if the link doesn't work, it's a Scosche HA11B honda harness
5) Antenna Adapter
6) speakers.. haven't decided yet but they'll be 6.5" for the front

Amazon says the head unit harness and antenna adapter won't fit in the 2012 honda fit, but a rep from Scosche said they would.. so I was thinking trust the expert and I ordered them. Does anyone know for sure if they will (or won't) work with my rig?

Also, any pointers for where I can go to see a diagram or pics of how to remove the head unit or speakers would be greatly appreciated! I know I'm asking a lot but any advice for a newb would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-VS

Last edited by Voidspawn; 03-23-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:02 PM
How well do most aftermarket head units fit? The dash is an odd shape, so I'm just wondering.

I've noticed the speakers are awful, but the iPod interface on the stock stereo actually is pretty good, compared to similar functions on other new cars, which often tend to be miserable at best.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Ummm...they make kits that replace the center dash piece. Check the I.C.E. section.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Northernlights
How well do most aftermarket head units fit? The dash is an odd shape, so I'm just wondering.

I've noticed the speakers are awful, but the iPod interface on the stock stereo actually is pretty good, compared to similar functions on other new cars, which often tend to be miserable at best.
Lowkeysmods's advice is good. There are kits by companies such a Metra that enable aftermarket units to fit in specific model cars very well, imo. If you order through Crutchfield they’ll arrange all of this for you.

If you replace the speakers yourself be prepared to do some drilling into the metal. I did it and it worked fine and I’m very happy with the results; I mention this only to prepare you psychologically for a task that many have trouble with on their new cars.

I opted for a single-DIN unit, and as a result the interface is much worse than that on the stock unit. That’s the biggest drawback in going aftermarket, imo. Perhaps if you use a double-DIN unit this won’t be so much of a problem, but others will have to verify this.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Old 04-03-2012, 10:29 AM
question about mounting brackets

Thanks lowkeymods.. (and Jamy, if you're out there).

I successfully installed my JVC 925 Arsenal head unit over the weekend and immediately noticed more depth to my sound. Very happy with the purchase and my next project is going to be installing new front speakers and sound proofing the doors.

I've read you can use the mounting brackets that come with the OEM front speakers if you basically use an exacto knife and cut them out. I bought these speakers which are somewhat deep (read that with a bracket you can install up to just a hair under 3" deep speakers, and was wondering if I'll still have to buy a mounting bracket in case the OEM bracket doesn't cut it.

I found this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=265-821

and

Speaker Mounting Brackets Fits select 2006-up Honda and Acura vehicles (for 5-1/4", 6-1/2", or 6-3/4" speakers) at Crutchfield.com

Will I need either of these and if so, which will work with what I am trying to install?

Thanks!

-VS

Old 04-03-2012, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
You will need a spacer of some sort most likely. I have alpine type s components in my front doors and those are relativly shalllow and I still need 1/2" spacers. I tried putting in some speakers that were 3 and 1/8" deep and they were 1/8" too deep to fit with the half inch spacers. By the looks of it you should have quite a bit of clerence in front of the speakers, so aadding a 1" spacer should be no problem.

The rear doors, the windows don't go down far enough to be an issue it seems, but the way the openings are shaped does. If you don't want to cut or bend the door metal out of the way get some spacers for back there as well.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Voidspawn
Thanks lowkeymods.. (and Jamy, if you're out there).

I successfully installed my JVC 925 Arsenal head unit over the weekend and immediately noticed more depth to my sound. Very happy with the purchase and my next project is going to be installing new front speakers and sound proofing the doors.

I've read you can use the mounting brackets that come with the OEM front speakers if you basically use an exacto knife and cut them out. I bought these speakers which are somewhat deep (read that with a bracket you can install up to just a hair under 3" deep speakers, and was wondering if I'll still have to buy a mounting bracket in case the OEM bracket doesn't cut it.

I found this: Metra 82-4300 1" Depth Extender Pair 265-821

and

Speaker Mounting Brackets Fits select 2006-up Honda and Acura vehicles (for 5-1/4", 6-1/2", or 6-3/4" speakers) at Crutchfield.com

Will I need either of these and if so, which will work with what I am trying to install?

Thanks!

-VS
No worries, I had plenty of people on the forum helping me with the process when I did it. When it comes to the speakers, I couldn't tell you. I got my brackets from Crutchfield, which is why I had to drill/trim the door pannel. Sorry

Old 04-04-2012, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
It’s been two years since I installed mine and so I don’t remember the details. But I do recall that I set out to cut the OEM speakers out of their mounting brackets but discovered when I did so that the Polk db651s I was installing didn’t fit in the brackets. So I ended up drilling into the metal and using self-tapping screws to mount the speakers directly to the door. This has worked well, although the back of the speakers come to within 1/8” of the window when it’s lowered fully, and I can hear the glass hit the back of the speaker when I slam the door shut (front doors only; as pointed out above, the rears don’t go down far enough). As I recall, there is plenty of room in front of the speakers keeping the OEM grills, so there’s no need to worry about using some sort of bracket to mount.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:55 PM
K I got a random stereo question, I just picked up a new fit sport yesterday, and I have a kicker 700.5 amp and am gunna throw a little sub in there with that, and was wondering of it would be worth it to connect the other 4 channels to the stock speakers or not?

Old 04-05-2012, 04:56 PM
I.think everyone in this thread replaced or is in the process of replacing their stock speakers.. Does that answer your question?

Old 04-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Voidspawn
Hi all,

First time poster - I recently purchased my 2012 Fit about a month ago and want to switch out the stock head unit and speakers. This is my first time putting together a car stereo, but I put my home surround sound together so this can't be that much harder, right?

Anyway, I'm in the process of purchasing all the parts. Please let me know if I'm missing anything as I'd like to get this all done at one time so I don't have to keep taking my car apart.

1) Scosche 010HA1708B double din w/ pocket
2) JVC KDA925 head unit
3) Speaker wire adapter harness
4) Scosche Head unit harness (if the link doesn't work, it's a Scosche HA11B honda harness
5) Antenna Adapter
6) speakers.. haven't decided yet but they'll be 6.5" for the front

Amazon says the head unit harness and antenna adapter won't fit in the 2012 honda fit, but a rep from Scosche said they would.. so I was thinking trust the expert and I ordered them. Does anyone know for sure if they will (or won't) work with my rig?

Also, any pointers for where I can go to see a diagram or pics of how to remove the head unit or speakers would be greatly appreciated! I know I'm asking a lot but any advice for a newb would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-VS
The Scosche adapter mentionned has the air bag light at the bottom of the bracket while my 2012 Fit has the air bag light positioned next to the hazard button up and to the left of the radio. Anybody know where to get a DIN adapter for this?

pic of the radio in my 2012 fit
http://www.ayushveda.com/wp-content/...t-interior.jpg
the only adapter I`ve been able to find: (the same one as the one in the post)
Amazon.com: Scosche 010HA1708B 2009 Honda Fit Double Din with Pocket: Car Electronics

Old 04-17-2012, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
The Scosche adapter mentionned has the air bag light at the bottom of the bracket while my 2012 Fit has the air bag light positioned next to the hazard button up and to the left of the radio. Anybody know where to get a DIN adapter for this?

pic of the radio in my 2012 fit
http://www.ayushveda.com/wp-content/...t-interior.jpg
the only adapter I`ve been able to find: (the same one as the one in the post)
Amazon.com: Scosche 010HA1708B 2009 Honda Fit Double Din with Pocket: Car Electronics
If it is like the metra kit I have (from crutchfield, they may have higher prices, but they incude everything you need for a head unit install) has the airbag light below the radio as well. You just cut the tape holding it to the wire harness and move it.

One other concern is that honda seems to have changed the radio bezzel and upper glove box to all black for 2012, whereas for all the earlier years it was silver. So watch the color when ordering.

Name:  DSCF7230Custom.jpg
Views: 3281
Size:  61.6 KB

Last edited by x_25; 04-17-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Ah Ha! Colour difference noted. Thanx.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
Ah Ha! Colour difference noted. Thanx.
Oh, also, if it isn't obvious, my upper glove box and bezel are not stock colors.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 PM
what would someone with the OEM navigation unit do if he wanted some better sound. I dont want to replace the headunit as i like the OEM integrations and cleanliness, but i would like better sound from the speakers. any options?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Just replaced my stock speakers with some of these.

Amazon.com: Kicker 11KS65 6.5" 2-way Car Audio Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics

There is noticeably less distortion than stock, but its still all mids and highs. I'm going to get a 4 channel amp, and run it off the high level input to see if I can get some better lows in there as well.

This is my only option. I can't add a sub, because I need the trunk space (baby on the way). I refuse to replace the head unit, because I hate the look of the aftermarket dash kits.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Schoat333

There is noticeably less distortion than stock, but its still all mids and highs. I'm going to get a 4 channel amp, and run it off the high level input to see if I can get some better lows in there as well.

This is my only option. I can't add a sub, because I need the trunk space (baby on the way). I refuse to replace the head unit, because I hate the look of the aftermarket dash kits.
The stock head unit has a built in EQ that hypes up the midbass and highs, and you can't turn it off. Odds are the sound won't change much. Though switching fromeven my aftermarket head unit to an amp has helped with the athority of the bass, but I think that may have to do with the stock speaker wireing being so thin that it is acting like part of a crossover. (If the resistance of the speaker wire is too high compaired to the nominal impedance of the speaker, you start getting dips in the freqency responce where the impedence of the drivers is highest).

Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Schoat333

If you go with a double din the look is much cleaner vs a single din unit. And there are Double din units that are available that are not MONSTER priced. And even with the stock head unit being decently made it is still low quality compared to what you can get aftermarket. As for the sub, the fit has a TON of room in the hatch. You could easily put an 8" sub in a tube or a very small enclosure in the back and lose very minimal space. I built a box for a Sundown 8" that was just over 1 cuft (12x12x12 is a cubic foot) and it slammed in the car I put it in. So don't rule out a sub just because you have a baby. There are many ways to incorporate a sub and lose very little as far as hatch space. Some have even made enclosures that fit into the spare tire well while keeping the spare tire. So do a little searching in the ICE section.

Quick Reply: Speaker upgrades? Worth it?