2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker upgrades? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by x_25
The stock head unit has a built in EQ that hypes up the midbass and highs, and you can't turn it off. Odds are the sound won't change much. Though switching fromeven my aftermarket head unit to an amp has helped with the athority of the bass, but I think that may have to do with the stock speaker wireing being so thin that it is acting like part of a crossover. (If the resistance of the speaker wire is too high compaired to the nominal impedance of the speaker, you start getting dips in the freqency responce where the impedence of the drivers is highest).
I dealt with the same problem on my last car, and was able to egt the sound I wanted with a similar amp setup. Its worth a try IMO. Besides, I'm only looking for a small improvement, not window shattering.

That stock speaker wiring is tiny. I'll be running my own wire to them, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by Fit4Spl
If you go with a double din the look is much cleaner vs a single din unit. And there are Double din units that are available that are not MONSTER priced. And even with the stock head unit being decently made it is still low quality compared to what you can get aftermarket. As for the sub, the fit has a TON of room in the hatch. You could easily put an 8" sub in a tube or a very small enclosure in the back and lose very minimal space. I built a box for a Sundown 8" that was just over 1 cuft (12x12x12 is a cubic foot) and it slammed in the car I put it in. So don't rule out a sub just because you have a baby. There are many ways to incorporate a sub and lose very little as far as hatch space. Some have even made enclosures that fit into the spare tire well while keeping the spare tire. So do a little searching in the ICE section.
I just don't like the look of any dash kit, double or single din. If this doesn't work, I'll just live with stock.

Its not just the fact that I have a baby on the way, its also the fact that I don't want a sub in my trunk. Waste of space IMO. I'm confident that I can get the sound I want without it.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
If you want anything under 100Hz in frequency then good luck, the stock size drivers just can't handle that and not many even aftermarket in the 6.5" arena can handle 100Hz and below. I've done car audio for over 25 years, is what you are saying possible, sure but it would take a ton of work and expensive gear. And if subs are a waste of space then you really do not like bass response, because a true subwoofer is required if you want true bass response. But each to their own!

But if you are just looking for decent overall sound then an external amp with components up front and coaxials in the rear should do just fine but don't expect any real bass response because it just isn't likely to happen.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit4Spl
If you want anything under 100Hz in frequency then good luck, the stock size drivers just can't handle that and not many even aftermarket in the 6.5" arena can handle 100Hz and below. I've done car audio for over 25 years, is what you are saying possible, sure but it would take a ton of work and expensive gear. And if subs are a waste of space then you really do not like bass response, because a true subwoofer is required if you want true bass response. But each to their own!

But if you are just looking for decent overall sound then an external amp with components up front and coaxials in the rear should do just fine but don't expect any real bass response because it just isn't likely to happen.
Yep, my bass actually got "worse" w/ new Polk speakers. Let the 6.5"s to do what they are supposed to do highs/mids...if you want bass at least look into a compact sub like myself or JDP has a compact sub encosure for the trunk that doesn't take up hardly any space in the group buy section.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 AM
I got the sound I was looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions tho.