2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does oem navi come from factory, installed, or does dealer do it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Does oem navi come from factory, installed, or does dealer do it?

I'm looking to buy my gf a new fit, and I will want a navigation system built in. Basically for easiness I want a Honda installed one.
Dealer says I can get a Honda one put in the Non- navi, by the dealer and it would be a "like a factory installed" option, more or less.
Is that true? Are they going to create a new window sticker?
They add on steering wheel controls also?
I drive a maxima myself, and I don't think you can put a Nissan gps into a non gps installed Maxima , but I really don't know.
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
It doesn't get any easier than just buying an auto-sport with navi. I wouldn't do it any other way, personally.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
honda doesn't support Dealer installed Accessories unless it is an official accessory (Like the MUGEN body Kit, Oem door visors, etc...) The Navi would not fall in this category as it is officially a different version of the FIT.
The Three trim levels are:

BASE
Sport
Sport NAVI

If I were you however, i would go with the sport and have a Pioneer or Alpine Navi installed. Will save you more money and give you many more features including much better sound and more regularly updated Navigation. you will get bluetooth integration with audio streaming if you have a smartphone as well.

Honda has made the integrated navi on the FIT less Relevant by Pricing it absurdly higher than the standard sport model and offering no other features.

Also, remember, The Navi technology on the Fit is at least 4 years old as there has likely been little (If any) changes since the vehicle first debuted in 2009. Aftermarket will be new every year.

~SB

Old 03-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the quick responses. I plan on buying the fit with a Honda oem navi system. I'm not trying to decide if I want honda vs aftermarket.
The sales guy implied that there was one Honda sport, and if you wanted a navi unit they would add it on at the dealer, and it would be the exact fit with navi unit you see in the ads and honda web site.
Sad to say I don't exactly trust him, and my question to those who have a navi equpped car:
When you went to the dealer, was the navi already installed, is it on the factory window sticker, etc,etc, or is what the rep implying true.

I said I want the navi, is it factory, and he said "of course, it's a factory option" and it will be what you get

Old 03-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Yeah, the navi stuff should be on the monrovy (sp?) sticker and not the dealer markup sticker. Technically, its not so much an option as a trim level.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Sad to say I don't exactly trust him, and my question to those who have a navi equpped car:
When you went to the dealer, was the navi already installed, is it on the factory window sticker, etc,etc, or is what the rep implying true.
There's a sport without navi and a sport with navi. Either your dealer is being too vague or you didn't understand him correctly. You can test drive and look at a sport without navi, on the lot. But that's not the car you will buy. If no sport navi is on the lot, they'll have to find you one from another dealer. They don't stick a navi into a sport without one on the lot and sell you THAT car as a normal matter of course.

If I were you however, i would go with the sport and have a Pioneer or Alpine Navi installed. Will save you more money and give you many more features including much better sound and more regularly updated Navigation. you will get bluetooth integration with audio streaming if you have a smartphone as well.

Honda has made the integrated navi on the FIT less Relevant by Pricing it absurdly higher than the standard sport model and offering no other features.

Also, remember, The Navi technology on the Fit is at least 4 years old as there has likely been little (If any) changes since the vehicle first debuted in 2009. Aftermarket will be new every year.
This is a common statement and it's not a bad way to go if aftermarket floats your boat. But for clarification, the OEM navi has been updated since 2009. It's no longer an odd flip-down screen to access the cd drive. It now has bluetooth with audio streaming. And although a guess- it's a good bet the maps have been updated as well. In my experience thus far, the maps have been percise wherever I am and the GPS is rock solid. Far as map updates- eh. I only care about my immediate area[s] and the US. If the updates don't tweak that, I'm not updating. I'm not saying the OEM navi is tops, but it's definitely better than the '09 version. I wanted navi a lot when I got my '09. I'm so glad I didn't get it then. I'm really glad to have it in 2012. Personally, I really hope the future versions don't make me sick with envy! But the reason I chose OEM is because it's fully integrated into the car, unlike aftermarket, and I don't trust many if any aftermarket installers, frankly. That's just my personal experience. You will pay more for a Fit with navi. But how much more depends on your bargaining skills and the dealers motivation to get the car off the lot at the moment- plus whatever incentives are running at the time. A sport with navi under 20k is still overall quite a bargain. And it's also a worthy navi system now too.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by linjon
Thanks for the quick responses. I plan on buying the fit with a Honda oem navi system. I'm not trying to decide if I want honda vs aftermarket.
The sales guy implied that there was one Honda sport, and if you wanted a navi unit they would add it on at the dealer, and it would be the exact fit with navi unit you see in the ads and honda web site.

I said I want the navi, is it factory, and he said "of course, it's a factory option" and it will be what you get
If you are set on getting the OEM navi from honda, then you neeed to get the "Fit Sport Navi". anything else is an add-on that is not covered by Honda as honda does not have an Accessory Navi System. The Dealer is looking at putting in an aftermarket solution that will look like OEM but it won't be the Honda OEM Navi system (unless they are charging you whatever the difference between the two trim levels is - HIGHLY HIGHLY unlikely - Still won't be covered as an accessory for more than 1 year)

Honda's website has all of the accessories when you build a fit and Navi isn't an accessory, it's a trim level. If the Dealer says differently, ask him to show you on the Honda Website where the accessory is located.

You want a "Fit Sport Navi", not a "Fit Sport with Navi"

~SB

Old 03-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Great, Great!!
You told me exactly what I want to know.
thanks

Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like you went to Paragon Honda on Northern...
I'm so glad I didn't get my 09 Navi from them.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Lol, how'd you know?
Where did you get yours?

Old 03-26-2012, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

I had very bad experiences with that dealership... strongly recommend against them.
I bought mine from South Shore Honda, I'll pm you some info.