2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Sensor Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
Exclamation TPMS Sensor Question

I have done a search on the forum with no luck on finding the question and answer I was looking for.

Situation:

My fiancé and I both have 2011 Fits. I have the Sport model (16in wheels) and she has the Base model (15in wheels). I purchased aftermarket wheels and would like to give her my sport wheels with Tpms sensor and all, and I would like to get her base wheels and have the TPMS sensor removed and placed in my aftermarket wheels. Will I have trouble with her TPMS sensors on my wheels and calibrating to my car since she has a Base model and I have a Sport model?

Old 04-22-2012, 09:56 AM
you TPMS light will illuminate on your dash due to the TPMS sencer is not paired to a specific model or trim on the vehicle but paired to every single vehicle. which means every car's tpms sencer will only work on the car and if you change wheels without swapping the TPMS sencer it will show a fault. my suggestion to you will be to change wheels as u like and just drive with the TPMS light on, it wont affect anything at all other then loosing its purpose. or you can change the wheels and straight swapped the TPMS sencers which will requires some tire work or change the wheels without swapping TPMS and go to a dealer and have them re-pair the sencer to the system but its probably ganna cost you a few greens.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
You should be able to have the dealer reprogram the sensors in each car. Otherwise if a sensor went bad, the light would never go back off.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
I can't say for sure, but I would guess that the TPMS modules can be reprogrammed for another Fit.

I have two questions... are the tires staying with the wheels or with the specific trim Fit?

How much would it cost to simply move the TPMS modules? I was able to get my aftermarket sensors programmed to my Fit for $90. The "regular" price is $120. So, if its really cheap (or even free) to move the module... I'd do this.

Get the aftermarket wheels and new tires (unmounted). Make sure the wheels can mount TPMS.
Go to a tire shop with the Sport Fit.
How you do the following is up to you...
Tell them to take your old wheels, and remove the TPMS.. and not to bother reinflating the old wheels.
Mount the TPMS and then tires on the new wheels.

Once that's done... repeat the step with the Base Fit.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for your input guys. Everyone here stated correct information. After looking further into it, indeed, I would have to reprogram the TPMS sensors by taking it to the dealer.

I'm going to end up having the place thats mounting and balancing my new tires onto the new wheels, just take out my TPMS sensor and placing them in my wheels instead of giving my fiance the wheels without the TPMS swap and then both of us having TPMS lights on on our dash.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SickFit
Thanks for your input guys. Everyone here stated correct information. After looking further into it, indeed, I would have to reprogram the TPMS sensors by taking it to the dealer.

I'm going to end up having the place thats mounting and balancing my new tires onto the new wheels, just take out my TPMS sensor and placing them in my wheels instead of giving my fiance the wheels without the TPMS swap and then both of us having TPMS lights on on our dash.
All you have to do is do the same thing with your fiance... give her your sport wheel and tires, have it rebalanced with her TPMS modules.

Let it be a "random act of kindness."