2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Jack under rear springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Jack under rear springs?

Can I safely use my trolly jack under the rear springs? Seems like a nice big flat area to lift the rear tires with

Old 04-22-2012, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
You can try, but its not really all that useful since most of your effort will be spent compressing the spring into the car. As long as you have a rubberized pad on the jack, you can just use the normal jacking position between the wheels.

If you have a long enough floor jack, you can raise the entire rear end by using the center position (under the spare tire area). Then slide a pair of jack stands at the jacking spots by the wheels.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Rook
Can I safely use my trolly jack under the rear springs? Seems like a nice big flat area to lift the rear tires with
No, that is not a safe jacking point. Use the correct factory specified jack points on the car.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
You can try, but its not really all that useful since most of your effort will be spent compressing the spring into the car. As long as you have a rubberized pad on the jack, you can just use the normal jacking position between the wheels.

If you have a long enough floor jack, you can raise the entire rear end by using the center position (under the spare tire area). Then slide a pair of jack stands at the jacking spots by the wheels.

The springs are already compressed from the wieght of the car. Useing this point is fast because it lifts the car immediatly instead of spending the effort decompressing the springs away from the car when you use the standard point. I just wasn't sure about the integrity of the spring mounts. I thought since the down force was on them already that they would handle the reverse.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers

like the others said, jacking up at the spring points are kind of useless lol. goobers idea is solid. jack in right in between, will be a silver square spot to use as jack point. thats where i jacked my rear up when installing my coils

Old 04-24-2012, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
The springs are already compressed from the wieght of the car. Useing this point is fast because it lifts the car immediatly instead of spending the effort decompressing the springs away from the car when you use the standard point. I just wasn't sure about the integrity of the spring mounts. I thought since the down force was on them already that they would handle the reverse.
no... as you lift the jack, the weight of the car shifts, eventually, that jacked spring and the opposite corner are supporting more and more of the weight.

As there's more weight putting pressure, the spring compresses.

It's only fast, if your intention is to take off the wheel.

Last edited by Goobers; 04-24-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member
No... No... What do you think happens to the spring when you go over a bump? I think jacking it would cause them to be under a dangerous amount of stress, if the jack is uneven it would probably shoot out and drop the car down. Why wouldn't you spend a few extra seconds to jack the car properly?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:46 AM
It's not safe, just don't do it, period. No need to even argue the point.

Your eagerness to save 30 seconds of jack time could cost you an arm or a leg... literally.

Honda specified the correct jack points, USE THEM!