2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke smell 2012 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 05:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Your husband didn't borrow it to go get milk one day and come in the house smelling like too much cologne and change his clothes immediately following entry?

JK.
I wonder if she smoked after?

Old 06-20-2012, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
If you run the fan on full cold and outside air (not recirculate) for a minute after switching off the A/C, you shouldn't have any problems with the "mildew smell" the next time you turn on the fan or A/C. It goes the same way for any make/model car. Leaving it on outside air helps keep the air vents ventilated so they don't get all muggy.

Now for the smoke smell problem. I wouldn't suggest you go spraying Lysol to try to mask the smell. It's just going to mask the smell, not get rid of the source. Lysol smells terrible in my opinion anyway.

Do you smell more smoke when you have the air set on "recirculate" or "outside air?" If it's more pronounced on "outside air," check the areas where the fan draws in outside air:

First check around the front cowling, the black plastic pieces that run alongside the bottom of the windshield, where the winshield wiper arms go in. If I'm not mistaken, that's the area from which your car pulls in outside air. Maybe there's a cigarette butt lodged in there somewhere, fouling the air your fan pulls in. I've found cigarette butts lodged in my engine bay, front bumper, and grill before. It just happens when people toss their butts on the road, chance has it that one of those butts will eventually get caught somewhere in your car. It's strange though because I wouldn't expect that smell to get stronger as you drive the car, unless it's lodged somewhere that gets hotter as your car heats up, like on the engine block, or on the exhaust manifold (which would actually be close to the cowling, maybe a good place to look).

If the smell gets stronger when you leave the air on "recirculate," then check the cabin air filter behind the glovebox. But still, don't go spraying Lysol on it. The smell of cigarette smoke airs out, it's not a permanent stench. Even if you smoke in the car, it can be aired out over a day or two with windows down, or more if you hot-box it in there for weeks before you try to air it out.

Anyhow, if you smell cigarette smoke, then there's a cigarette or cigarette butt lodged somewhere. Cigarette smoke is a very distinct odor and is very different from automotive burning smells, as others have already mentioned.

Look under your hood, but because of the symptoms, I suggest concentrating efforts around the cowling and areas where increasing heat may cause an increasing odor.
Good, helpful post for the OP.

Yeah, I've been running the fan to reduce the problem, but it's the first car I've had to do this with. Also, that Ozium spray is pretty amazing. I bought some a few years ago to help with this problem and while strong, and seemingly deadly toxic when I spray it in my house, it kills smells fast. Good for visitors that stumble in on leisure activities with short notice.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by hayden
Good, helpful post for the OP.

Yeah, I've been running the fan to reduce the problem, but it's the first car I've had to do this with. Also, that Ozium spray is pretty amazing. I bought some a few years ago to help with this problem and while strong, and seemingly deadly toxic when I spray it in my house, it kills smells fast. Good for visitors that stumble in on leisure activities with short notice.
Going to +1 this, that Ozium spray is indeed amazing. GTFO of the car after you spray it inside, it will choke you immediately, but it works VERY well at removing any airborne odor (even smoke). I keep a can in my car usually.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
I still say someone is blowing it up the tailpipe.

Serious though being a former smoker I know what cig smoke smells like and you do not have a random butt giving off that odour. While butts are smelly it will not give you that clothes clinging smell. Someone is smoking in your car.

Does anyone else smell it? Just asking because my wife has the sensitive nose that will sometimes create odours in her head. I swear she does.

Now how do you keep a chipmunk for using your cabin filter as a restroom? While I like him he is going to join the roadkill cats if he doesn't stop.

The absolute worse car smell? My 88 Plymouth Sundance. Neighbors cat was under the hood when I fired it up. It crawled so that it was laying at base of motor down around the exhaust. It was disgusting. No idea how long it was there but got ripe. I went to a couple of garages and they would not touch it. Finally call the city and some works dept guy came. Said jack it up and he would remove it. I did NASCAR team proud in how fast I jacked it. Ever after when it got real hot I could smell tabby.