2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found evidence of mice/rat possibly living in car.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 03:33 AM
Found evidence of mice/rat possibly living in car.

So I've changed out the cabin filter and noticed that its been chewed on but did not chew enough to go through the cabin filter, also found a peanut shell on the cabin filter with a piece of mice poop. What are the chances that there is a dead mice somewhere in my vents? Where should I look? I did feel on top of the blower fans and felt nothing, but my fans are making an unusual noise that sounds kind of off, also noticed that my fan cuts off for like a millisecond maybe my alternator is dying.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member
I have the same problem. I have a 2012 that was recently purchased and it's on a gravel driveway near a brushy area. Within a week of parking it there, I couldn't close the fresh air lever to closed. I had no idea why and had just replaced the cabin filter. I opened up the cabin filter again and low and behold, a giant next of torn paper towels and leaves on top of the filter. As I pulled it out a bunch dropped into the fan housing. I got the vacuum and cleaned as best I could and put it back together and next day, same exact thing. I then got a traditional mouse trap and put them by the car - caught 3 mice over the next week. I've been watching since then and so far so good. I need to reset the traps as I think this will be a permanent challenge due to our location. I've had mice next around batteries and engine air filter housings, but this is the first time they've climbed into the cabin filter. I can't tell where I should close it up. My least favorite creatures - mice and ants. I have cats, but the damn things are house cats due to coyotes - I wish I could let them out to earn their keep catching mice!

Old 04-13-2016, 09:01 AM
The cabin filter seems to be a favorite nesting place for mice! When I first parked my Fit for the duration of the recall, I had it covered. I checked on it one day, and mice had chewed up a roll of shop towels I had in the hatch. Investigation led me to open the glove box and pull the cabin filter. There was a nice mess of paper towels there, but no other signs of mice. I now have the car uncovered, with dryer sheets inside and also stuck in 4 or 5 places around the engine. I have poison boxes by the tires----something I absolutely hate doing for many reasons, but I'm too poor to have to do engine repairs when this recall is over. I also open the hood every couple of days to check on things, and to scare away any critters that might think they've found a home. I've had no signs of mice at all since doing this.

I didn't realize it was so easy to change the filters, so now I'll be doing this myself rather than letting Honda do it.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:06 PM
How Mice Get In To A Honda Fit

My wife found evidence of mice turds, shredded kleenex, and nuts in her Honda Fit. After a bit of investigation on the internet we found out that they were getting in through the Fit's cabin filter. There are directions on YouTube on how to access this behind the glove box. In our case the mice had made a nest inside the cabin filter housing. They had also chewed through the plastic flap that covers a hole for the vent that can shut on/off the airflow from outside. This was too freaky but there are a number of reports on the internet from owners having similar experiences.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:36 PM
moth balls seem to work for me in and around the engine bay. I throw a bunch in an old stocking and tie it somewhere under the car. they do dissolve/evaporate, so you have to replace them over time. deters G-hogs, mice, and wasps

Old 03-24-2017, 05:24 AM
5 Year Member
Although this is from our CIVIC, the FIT gets it too.

I had the same experience trying to figure out why the fresh air / cabin air dash lever stopped traveling at 50% mark.

I recently changed out the CIVIC wiper motor and that exposed a huge nest in the metal sections leading to the cabin air filter area. So, the cabin air filter may only be the tip of the iceberg.

I started running a trap line too: meat or cheese. After the trap is set, I'll hold it with a pliers and run it over a lit candle to get my smell off of it. I've gotten a rapid succession of "hits" that way and then your done for a while.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
I need to fix this on my Fit. I turn on the AC and the air smells like a wet dog. Probably a dead mouse. There must be a fresh air intake somewhere with openings big enough for mice.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member

Replaced the wiper motor on a 100K mile Civic

Look past the wiper transmission arm. This deep well was filled with a big mouse nest - include a well used lavatory section This is just ahead of the opening to the Cabin Air Filter

I have to believe all Hondas are more similar than not, so I have no doubt that there is a huge mouse bathroom ahead of the FIT's Cabin Air Filter that ducts air from the wipers.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
That's what I figured. When I do spark plugs this summer. I figure out how to screen it off.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
With the CIVIC, the Cabin Air Filter was just catching the fluff off of the main nest. The all metal cavity in the car had 5x more stuff in it than what I was getting on the filter. I'm really glad these cars have that filter. Otherwise that crap would be throughout the ductwork causing smells and damper problems - tune on the fan and get sunflower seed shells blowing out everywhere.