2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is Honda going?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Kind of think this should be in OT or Wasteland?

Or Tell Honda maybe? LOL

Old 07-10-2012, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
I agree ugly aftermarket wheels should not be allowed.

That's why I don't condone them.

If you're saying all non-OEM wheels are ugly, get off this enthusiast's website (or what once was a site for enthusiasts, it seems to have stopped being one of those in about 2009.)

Old 07-10-2012, 07:01 PM
I hope to own one of these one day...needs a lip...hahahahahahaha.

It's not Honda that's the problem. Most all compact cars have taken a nose dive WRT sales this year.

Most notably the

Mazda 3 (-30%)
Hyundai Accent (-20)
Honda Fit (-54%)

Bigger cars are on the rise with the Jetta having the biggest increase at 157% rise in sales this year.

This stuff is cyclical.

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 07-10-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Lol...about the idea that some forum members are part of the industry: just check out edmunds consumer reviews...

Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Hmph.

50k is now the affordable benchmark for a sports car? Well then wetphoto why are you trolling around with the proles?

BTW, Mazda sold like 1200 RX8's in 2010...

It's affordable if you have a good job, AFTER getting a good education, and manage your money well. If not, well, buy a Miata

Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
I'm a noob so I'm not sure I get it - is this topic not allowed? I have my own thoughts as to Honda's current portfolio and likely future direction, although, I would probably start my own thread about it if I was going to go into detail.
The topic is allowed. Just those who view Honda as a religion don't want it talked about.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:39 PM
I agree ugly aftermarket wheels should not be allowed.

That's why I don't condone them.

If you're saying all non-OEM wheels are ugly, get off this enthusiast's website (or what once was a site for enthusiasts, it seems to have stopped being one of those in about 2009.)
When were you appointed Emperor that you tell others to get off the website?

Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wetphoto
When were you appointed Emperor that you tell others to get off the website?
I believe that was sometime around 2009.

It's affordable if you have a good job, AFTER getting a good education, and manage your money well. If not, well, buy a Miata
So its affordable once you're 50 years old.

Gotcha.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Santiad
Lol...about the idea that some forum members are part of the industry: just check out edmunds consumer reviews...
Actually, on some forums, the manufacturer and various reps are members, and identify themselves as such. They answer questions and problems. Camaro 5 forums for one

Old 07-10-2012, 07:50 PM
I believe that was sometime around 2009.

So its affordable once you're 50 years old.

Gotcha.
No, affordable to those who got a good education and a job. If they smoked the funny stuff and went to an interview in sandals, or missed too much work, or spent their day as a blogger, they can't afford it. Doesn't take much to get a loan for a good car. just a descent downpayment and a record of paying your bills.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah...I'll never get another loan. Loans are for people living beyond their means.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Lol! Wetphoto annoys me but I get a kick outta the posts.

Leave financial grandstanding out of this site... Affordability is a bit more complicated than that. In this country all it takes is a sick familiy member or a condition for yourself to knock you down into "used" car territory...

On another note, americans were waiting for larger cars to increase mpg...subcompacts were always a niche market. Shoot my next car might be midsize though on the small side (think kizahsi)

Old 07-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Santiad
Lol! Wetphoto annoys me but I get a kick outta the posts.

Leave financial grandstanding out of this site... Affordability is a bit more complicated than that. In this country all it takes is a sick familiy member or a condition for yourself to knock you down into "used" car territory...

On another note, americans were waiting for larger cars to increase mpg...subcompacts were always a niche market. Shoot my next car might be midsize though on the small side (think kizahsi)
That's all it takes in any country. As far as "financial grandstanding" goes, Mickey brought that into it. The larger cars are already getting good mileage, and getting better each year. Chevy, Ford and others equal or surpass the Japanese imports in many of those cars. Life is good, and getting better. 425 hp used to get 6mpg. Now they get nearly 20.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
Do some reading, Vettes are rated for 26-27 mpg highway.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Spent the last week in San Diego. I noticed a lot of Miata's, a few FR-S's, RX-8's Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers. All fun to drive "sports cars. Honda has what to compete? Where is this company going? What is it's corporate philosophy? Used to be top tier. Still is in reliablilty, but what else?
They need to bring out some affordable REAR WHEEL DRIVE cars! Scion FR-S!

Old 07-11-2012, 01:02 AM
Do some reading, Vettes are rated for 26-27 mpg highway.
You are obsessed with vetted. Wasn't talking about them.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by '12Fit
They need to bring out some affordable REAR WHEEL DRIVE cars! Scion FR-S!
Fully agree. Toyota seems quicker on it's feet. Honda stuck in quicksand.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
You know what, I'm going to dignify this thread with my honest opinion on where Honda is going, where they have been and where they are right now.

Past.

Honda established themselves by making affordable, reliable, fuel efficient cars. Soichiro Honda was committed to racing and refused to let a vehicle out his doors unless it was up to his standards. Cars got better and better, Honda established a name for itself and was throwing out innovation like nothing.

By the late 80's Honda was a world champion engine provider in F1, were associated with Ayrton Senna, had debuted VTEC and were working with the previously mentioned Senna to build what became one of the greatest sports/super cars ever. (Even Gordon Murray (The man behind the Maca F1) acknowledged it as one of the best) Honda was also showing clear bloodlines from the greatness at the top of the company to their less expensive cars. The Civic and Integra were well balanced, high quality, fuel efficient, fun, affordable cars. They were competent as racers, daily drivers, platforms for modifying, anything. The Accord was also in on this act.

(I didn't bring up Honda's huge successes in motorcycle racing, but know they are there)

As time went on, Honda passed away, focus groups and a desire to build cars for Americans, and bean counters took over. This led to larger, bloated cars, lower quality cars, and ultimately less fun to drive.

The NSX was largely unchanged (yes it was greatly changed, but it deserved much, much better), the S2000 came out and suffered much the same fate.

The EP3 had potential to be great, but we didn't get the EP3R, we got stuck with a watered down version thanks to the DC5S. The Accord/Civic/Odyssey grew ever bigger and ever worse.

Present:

Honda has a lineup largely full of dull cars.

The Fit is a great success and is one of the few cars that shows a clear relation to the golden age of the 90's albeit with an engine that pails in comparison and inferior suspension (thanks to cost cutting).

The Civic/Accord are huge/bloated, underwhelming, overpriced, etc.

In my mind, the Civic should be eliminated, because of the price point it is blocking Honda from offering luxo-options in the Fit and stealing buyers from the low model Accord.

The Accord is a car that will always have a dedicated following and although its quite unattractive in its current form, it is still one of the better cars to drive, in its class. If it were brought to a size between the Civic and its current self (you know, like it used to be?) it would be a perfect car for many people.

The CR-Z is something I'm a rather large fan of, it looks great, is good on gas, affordable, etc. With the elimination of the Civic, and therefore the Civic Si, Honda could finally put a K in the car.

I don't know enough about the rest of the product line in recent years, so I'll excuse myself from an opinion on them.

BTW, remember the S2000 was kind of a departure from traditional Honda, they excel at making great FWD cars, they don't do AWD/RWD very often, so stop calling for something they haven't traditionally done.

Future:

I think Honda will make a comeback, how soon? I don't know.

How I think They Should Return to Glory:

Keep Fit true to its roots established in GD/GE. Light, small, utilitarian, funnish, good on gas, etc. Offer Fit Aria to fill void left by Civic sedan.

Eliminate Civic

Shrink Accord. Offer 4 cyl with manual/CVT, 6 cyl with manual/CVT, Hybrid w/ CVT, Coupe/Sedan. Offer Accord Euro-R w/ hotted up NA 4 cyl, 6 speed manual, mechanical LSD, recaros, uprated brakes/wheels/tyres/suspension.

Odyssey: Shrink, use space more efficiently, find ways to improve MPG, offer hybrid.

Pilot: Eliminate

CRV: Keep small, FWD or AWD, Manual or 6AT, 30 MPG hwy goal.

Ridgeline: Eliminate.

CRZ: Tweak Hybrid model for improved handling and MPG, add K-series to CRZ Si or CRZ VTEC, CRZ-R, whatever.

NSX: Do another one. Scrap the hybrid stuff though, or at least do it in a different fashion. I would:

Use HSV-10 V10, put it in the middle of the car, largely aluminum structure, aim for 120-150k price, offer traditional 6MT or flappy paddles.

Get back into F1.

I've just fixed Honda.

Thank you.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:19 AM
You know what, I'm going to dignify this thread with my honest opinion on where Honda is going, where they have been and where they are right now.

Past.

Honda established themselves by making affordable, reliable, fuel efficient cars. Soichiro Honda was committed to racing and refused to let a vehicle out his doors unless it was up to his standards. Cars got better and better, Honda established a name for itself and was throwing out innovation like nothing.

By the late 80's Honda was a world champion engine provider in F1, were associated with Ayrton Senna, had debuted VTEC and were working with the previously mentioned Senna to build what became one of the greatest sports/super cars ever. (Even Gordon Murray (The man behind the Maca F1) acknowledged it as one of the best) Honda was also showing clear bloodlines from the greatness at the top of the company to their less expensive cars. The Civic and Integra were well balanced, high quality, fuel efficient, fun, affordable cars. They were competent as racers, daily drivers, platforms for modifying, anything. The Accord was also in on this act.

(I didn't bring up Honda's huge successes in motorcycle racing, but know they are there)

As time went on, Honda passed away, focus groups and a desire to build cars for Americans, and bean counters took over. This led to larger, bloated cars, lower quality cars, and ultimately less fun to drive.

The NSX was largely unchanged (yes it was greatly changed, but it deserved much, much better), the S2000 came out and suffered much the same fate.

The EP3 had potential to be great, but we didn't get the EP3R, we got stuck with a watered down version thanks to the DC5S. The Accord/Civic/Odyssey grew ever bigger and ever worse.

Present:

Honda has a lineup largely full of dull cars.

The Fit is a great success and is one of the few cars that shows a clear relation to the golden age of the 90's albeit with an engine that pails in comparison and inferior suspension (thanks to cost cutting).

The Civic/Accord are huge/bloated, underwhelming, overpriced, etc.

In my mind, the Civic should be eliminated, because of the price point it is blocking Honda from offering luxo-options in the Fit and stealing buyers from the low model Accord.

The Accord is a car that will always have a dedicated following and although its quite unattractive in its current form, it is still one of the better cars to drive, in its class. If it were brought to a size between the Civic and its current self (you know, like it used to be?) it would be a perfect car for many people.

The CR-Z is something I'm a rather large fan of, it looks great, is good on gas, affordable, etc. With the elimination of the Civic, and therefore the Civic Si, Honda could finally put a K in the car.

I don't know enough about the rest of the product line in recent years, so I'll excuse myself from an opinion on them.

BTW, remember the S2000 was kind of a departure from traditional Honda, they excel at making great FWD cars, they don't do AWD/RWD very often, so stop calling for something they haven't traditionally done.

Future:

I think Honda will make a comeback, how soon? I don't know.

How I think They Should Return to Glory:

Keep Fit true to its roots established in GD/GE. Light, small, utilitarian, funnish, good on gas, etc. Offer Fit Aria to fill void left by Civic sedan.

Eliminate Civic

Shrink Accord. Offer 4 cyl with manual/CVT, 6 cyl with manual/CVT, Hybrid w/ CVT, Coupe/Sedan. Offer Accord Euro-R w/ hotted up NA 4 cyl, 6 speed manual, mechanical LSD, recaros, uprated brakes/wheels/tyres/suspension.

Odyssey: Shrink, use space more efficiently, find ways to improve MPG, offer hybrid.

Pilot: Eliminate

CRV: Keep small, FWD or AWD, Manual or 6AT, 30 MPG hwy goal.

Ridgeline: Eliminate.

CRZ: Tweak Hybrid model for improved handling and MPG, add K-series to CRZ Si or CRZ VTEC, CRZ-R, whatever.

NSX: Do another one. Scrap the hybrid stuff though, or at least do it in a different fashion. I would:

Use HSV-10 V10, put it in the middle of the car, largely aluminum structure, aim for 120-150k price, offer traditional 6MT or flappy paddles.

Get back into F1.

I've just fixed Honda.

Thank you.
Good ideas. If they need to make a granny barge, like the Accord is now, do it. But put some spice in the rest of the line.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
That is a valid point, something like Toyota's entire lineup, but especially the Avalon.

I'd probably just make the current Accord look a bit plainer, make the buttons a bit bigger, soften up the seats/suspension and quiet the tire/engine noise.

Boom, best seller among the octogenarians.

Quick Reply: Where is Honda going?