2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Tires Revisited

Well it's time for some new tires for the wife's fit. Even though I wouldn't by them again I'm amazed the original Bridgestones lasted 55K. I searched and read the previous threads about tires. Looking at getting 205/50/16's on the original Sport rims. Was considering the Continental DWS's but have heard from some that the tread life isn't that great (around 30K). Any other recommendations would be much appreciated. Looking for something with good tread life and comfort/low road noise. The wife doesn't really push the car, only time it gets driven hard is when I'm driving it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

Old 07-17-2012, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
Threads:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/eco-...es-2012-a.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...led-today.html

Last edited by sam; 07-17-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: fix links?
Old 07-17-2012, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
Weird result on the links. Just cut the first part out, then submit the second half. It will work then. Good info on both threads.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
In the Sport size 16" wheels, the Yokohama YK580 205/50/16 looks good to me.

Similar but better specs to the Yokohama Avid Envigor. The YK580 is built exclusively for Disount Tire by the looks of it. Good mix of performance, longevity, and mpg as best I can tell from google searches.

It has wider tread section than the stock Dunlops and the Yokohama Ascend in 185/55/16, but narrower than the Kumho Ecsta 4x and the Ecopia 422, which "should" mean lower rolling resistance. It is a heavier tire though.

Below is a cut and paste I did for a guy who has problems with road noise on the stock Dunlop SP 7000 185/55/16. His primary concern is road noise versus mpg.

I'm not sure of your location, but I recommend at the following links you only consider all season tires if you decide to replace the Dunlop SP7000 tires.

Stock sized tires on tire rack - with reviews which include consumer rating on noise: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...55&diameter=16

One set of consumer ratings for noise comfort on tires with Dunlop SP7000 middle of the pack (only high performance -- just one category of many):
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=HPAS
Notice the Yokohama Avid Envigor high on the chart.

This is a new tire in stock size - not many reviews or surveys yet - but should be quiet, high mileage durability, and high mpg: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....es&tab=Reviews

AVID ASCEND Tire Details
vs Yokohama Envigor (also a quiet tire): Performance Tires | Yokohama Tire Corp.
And Yokohama YK580 (only at Discount tire): YK580 Performance Tires | Yokohama Tire Corp.

Read the Prius forum review on the Ascend: http://priuschat.com/threads/yokoham...review.105546/
Quiet tire.

You might stop by your closest Discount tire and see if they will give you a trade in allowance on your almost new Dunlops. Best bet is the Yokohama Ascend in 185/55/16, or the Yokohama YK580 in 205/50/16.

Also Continental Extreme Contact DWS 205/50/16: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ireSearch=true

Bridgestone Ecopia 422 205/50/16: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ireSearch=true

Check prices on Tire Rack with delivery, vs Discount Tire. Discount Tire "should" price match Tire rack delivered pricing if you ask them to.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:48 AM
I had these on my Altima (225/50 R17) before I traded it in. They had 60K miles on them, still had tread left. Handled great, lots of traction, never let me down in snow. I'd have bought them again. They rate pretty good on Tire Rack, better than the Bridgestone Ecopia AC7880 mentioned, and they're about $65 cheaper for the set:

[Altimax HP](General Altimax HP)

Old 07-17-2012, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AC7880
Weird result on the links. Just cut the first part out, then submit the second half. It will work then. Good info on both threads.
whew. I'm glad someone else noticed it. I think they've gone a step too far with ad-ware and it's affecting links.

I've reported my post, maybe the mods can get the overlords to take a look.

Funny: the links to external sites work. But the links back to fit freak threads don't. I think the ad software is paying for hits to commercial sites even if they are random links inserted by users. I call fowl. Or foul. can never remember which when it counts. It's been embarrassing.

Last edited by Steve244; 07-17-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bigmitch
Well it's time for some new tires for the wife's fit. Even though I wouldn't by them again I'm amazed the original Bridgestones lasted 55K. I searched and read the previous threads about tires. Looking at getting 205/50/16's on the original Sport rims. Was considering the Continental DWS's but have heard from some that the tread life isn't that great (around 30K). Any other recommendations would be much appreciated. Looking for something with good tread life and comfort/low road noise. The wife doesn't really push the car, only time it gets driven hard is when I'm driving it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott
The proper way to select new tires is use TireRack.com to investigate the performance versus tread wear versus cost issues.
First, selerct the cost range you want to pay
Second, determine just how much perrformance you accept
Third, based on your performance choices check the UTOG, tgire wear ratings, of the tires you want.
Recognize that increased performance goes hand in hand with lower tread wear and higher costs so you have to balancve those 3 attributes.
From your example, sure Pirelli hipos cost more and have lowser tread aear ratings (liked 200 as opposed to 500) jbut in one of their tests consistently had smaller lap times than compedtitive tires. The cost wasn't inconsiderable either.
Most of our customers wantg high tread wear, ratings of 400 or more, lower costs, particularly under $100 a tire, and performance that results in using thosed criteria. Not a great deal look to performance fist, just those who compete.
Oh, and like thodse magazine articles selecting cars basedd on how thedir b uttes likked the car, done depend on their opions nearly so much as measured data, like those actual lap tgimes. ew of our customers have buttrs that match thed testers. But you should also check their CUSTOMER reviews for the tires you select. Very inlightening to say the least.
Try that.

Last edited by mahout; 07-17-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:05 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
IB is working on the links thing. It only affects linking to another thread on FF.