2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Quality problems 2012 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by tomcas
What are you disputing? I've already said I drove another fit at the dealer and it was fine so it's obvious that not all of them have a problem. I don't know maybe pre Tsunamis are all fine but if you simply take the time to read all the responses you will find:
4 responses say it wanders and AC sucks
5 more responses say it wanders and no mention of AC
2 more responses say AC sucks and no mention of wandering
1 more response says wandering got better with time
That's a crap load of people in just one posting who have quality problems with their fit.
It doesn't wander. Tires are just skinny so it doesn't take alot of steering input to change direction. Its human error.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:23 PM
I used to moan about the Fit's A/C when I first got it, but I just took a trip through the Mojave a couple weeks ago and it was 120F and the A/C was able to keep it relatively comfortable... comfortable enough for everyone to take a nap (except me of course ). I have had much better but it's adequate. The greenhouse-like windows don't help, but i'm not a fan of tint, so I guess i'll stay with "adequate", I know tint would help a ton though.

The wandering steering is mainly a problem with crap narrow tires, short wheelbase, tall side profile, and quick steering rack (2 1/2 turns lock to lock is faster than a lot of people are used to). As soon as I ditched the crap stock tires the car felt 100% more stable.

I will admit driving the Fit in a strong crosswind is nothing nice and will take 80% of your attention to keep it in it's lane if only because the steering inputs are so fast it's hard not to over correct when the wind is varying strength and gusts.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
The wandering steering is mainly a problem with crap narrow tires, short wheelbase, tall side profile, and quick steering rack (2 1/2 turns lock to lock is faster than a lot of people are used to). As soon as I ditched the crap stock tires the car felt 100% more stable.
Hell yeah 205's made my fit feel sooooo much better

Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
I put the lowering springs a couple weeks after buying my Fit helped with the wandering (would of done this even if wandering was not a problem) next, Progress RSB, Koni rear shocks then tires hoping these last items will improve the handling. The car drives great as it is but I think these items will add more to the driving experience. As far as the A/C initially was a problem on my trip to Atlanta but has been fine since.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by krunk13
It doesn't wander. Tires are just skinny so it doesn't take alot of steering input to change direction. Its human error.
Like I said the other Fit at the dealer tracked much better and with less force and it was the same model right off the boat so unless they some how put wider tires on that by mistake it kind of goes contrary to your theory. Skinny tires don’t make sensitivity, steering ratio (turns lock to lock) and to a lesser extend steering geometry are what make the tracking sensitive. Skinny tires simply reduce the turning force but force and sensitivity are two different things. If you read my post you will see that I find the force too high at highways speeds. I’m guessing Honda has done this in the programming of the electric assist in an effort to try to stabilize the car at highway speeds. I’ve had rear engine VWs with real skinny tires and real light front ends and they tracked great on the highway. One thing is certain 10 other posters think the car wanders.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by tomcas
Like I said the other Fit at the dealer tracked much better and with less force and it was the same model right off the boat so unless they some how put wider tires on that by mistake it kind of goes contrary to your theory. Skinny tires don’t make sensitivity, steering ratio (turns lock to lock) and to a lesser extend steering geometry are what make the tracking sensitive. Skinny tires simply reduce the turning force but force and sensitivity are two different things. If you read my post you will see that I find the force too high at highways speeds. I’m guessing Honda has done this in the programming of the electric assist in an effort to try to stabilize the car at highway speeds. I’ve had rear engine VWs with real skinny tires and real light front ends and they tracked great on the highway. One thing is certain 10 other posters think the car wanders.
Did the VWs have manual racks with lots of turns to lock? Tire width does play a big factor. Your contact patch plays a big part in determining the amount of force needed to turn the wheel.

Last edited by krunk13; 10-02-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
Did the VWs have manual racks with lots of turns to lock? Tire width does play a big factor. Your contact patch determines the amount of force needed to turn the wheel.
The VWs had reciculating ball steering, no rack and pinion, and it takes a lot of turns lock to lock.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:37 PM
I think Honda did a good job on the steering. One of the big downfalls of the Fit is the tires. Honda actually suggest running 205/50/R16's with the optional Mugen wheels.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
The AC isn't amazing by any means, but it is good enough. While I was dating someone that lived an hour north of toronto, I made the drive from NJ to Toronto once or twice a month, in all kinds of weather (from snow and strong winds to sun and 90+ temps) and the Fit was fully capable in any of it.

That said, it does wonder on the stock tires, wost crap tires ever. Change them out. With better tires it still needs to be baby sat more than most cars though. (I run 185/55r14 snows and 205/50r16 UPHAS summer).

The clutch feel sucks and the cutch delay valve really screws with you since the engagement point changes based on how fast you pick your foot up.

Even with all that, I love the car.

Also, for the OP. If you compaired it to another and found the other Fit was better in those ways than yours, I would find a different dealer that will work with you. The dealer I bought my car from had terible service (but they could get me exactly the car I wanted) but I go to another dealer when I need warentee service (had the resistor pack for the fan speed control fry, only problem in 31k miles so far).

Old 06-22-2013, 07:21 AM
I own a 2009 Fit LX and have out 120,000kilometers on it - zero problems really.
I was thinking of getting a 2012/13 Fit and started looking and was a little horrified when I saw Made in China on the door post. Our Service Manager said no issues however I asked the young man that preps the cars from off the boat condition to ready them for sale.
After making "friends" he confided that "all the wheel bearings for the Fits had to be replaced, that the most we got out of any of them was 28kms.!"

Also he said the interior blems went way up when they switched from made in Japan - life is always a gamble but this is getting ridiculous.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:27 AM
5 Year Member
I think Honda did a good job on the steering. One of the big downfalls of the Fit is the tires. Honda actually suggest running 205/50/R16's with the optional Mugen wheels.
Interesting. Honda in Torrance recommended 205/45-16 on their HFP wheels, when I talked to them about my new 2008, at the time. Very significant improvement, also.

Last edited by rodpaine; 06-23-2013 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Fix error in tire size!
Old 06-23-2013, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
If the AC is gradually weakening, that indicates to me that its freezing up. The AC should be able to run pretty much indefinitely putting out the same temps.

I've found that this is a function of the road and wind conditions as much as anything.
If the road has depressions from semis driving all in the same path, it gets really bad because the car is narrow. Similarly with wind. That said, my impression is that its gotten better with more miles on the car.

I would ask them to check the ac system pressures. A few people have reported slight under filling of the ac system
Agree here. The Fit likes to follow the road, especially with the stock Bridgestones that I had on the FIT.

A few things to the OP.
  • The Fit that you test drove for comparison sake; did it have the same tires? the FIT is offered with two different tires (Bridge or Dunnys) both Suck and the upgrade to the 205 Hanokooks was great for me. Cut down on the wandering but I have to admin, it didn't eliminate it altogether. Cars with shorter wheelbases will wander a little more, especially in this class of vehicle. (I can't imagine what the Smart and Toyota iQ are like). I also find that with the Tractor Trailer indentations in the road, the fit will tend to grab one side or the other and pull that direction. Freshly paved roads aren't an issue but older ones are. Tires make a world of difference. My 185 width Snows handle completely different and have totally different "idiosyncrasies" than the Hankooks.
  • The A/C on this vehicle is Adequate. Mind you, I drive a WHITE FIT. Our Civic with a 1.6L was a little better, My integras with 1.8L were even better, the Prelude (with a 2.0L) was good ...until the A/C died... and the Ridgeline is Great. Seems like engine Size plays a big portion of this, likely due to the compressor size. The Fact that the fit uses Gerbils for power but has the canopy of a CRV with tons of glass is a challenge. the Prelude (even with the Black/Black color scheme) had a tiny cabin and not a lot of glass.
  • Clutch on our Fit is just fine. The Clutch Delay Valve takes a little bit to get used to (and I still haven't completely gotten used to it after 45K miles.) so it's not surprising that you aren't fully comfortable with the clutch at this point. It's not as responsive as I'd like.
Let us know.

~SB

Old 06-23-2013, 09:51 AM
RAH
5 Year Member
This is kind of an old thread so maybe the OP has resolved his issues, but I just want to mention that I recently bought a 2013 Fit (auto transmission) and it does not wander on the road much at all. In fact, it really impressed me with how little steering adjustment I have to make on a straight road - I specifically noticed it. So, I think that there is definitely a problem with the car that the OP has, which others have said.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by rodpaine
Interesting. Honda in Torrance recommended 205/45-19 on their HFP wheels, when I talked to them about my new 2008, at the time. Very significant improvement, also.
why would you run anything over a 17 on a car this small and underpowered?

Edit: do you mean 205/45/r16? Its gonna be different between the GE and GD. For the GE the recommended size for 16's is 205/50/r16

Last edited by krunk13; 06-23-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
why would you run anything over a 17 on a car this small and underpowered?

Edit: do you mean 205/45/r16? Its gonna be different between the GE and GD. For the GE the recommended size for 16's is 205/50/r16
Yes, 16-inch (as my web page and profile below states), my typo error, too early for a Sunday morning forum post. This IS WHAT Honda recommended, they did not recommend the 205/50 for use on my GD-08!

Last edited by rodpaine; 06-23-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by rodpaine
Yes, 16-inch (as my web page and profile below states), my typo error, too early for a Sunday morning forum post. This IS WHAT Honda recommended, they did not recommend the 205/50 for use on my GD-08!
This is the GE section....

Old 06-23-2013, 07:47 PM
The wandering was mostly caused by the shitty Dunlop 7000's, most of my wandering was gone after my switch to 205 50 16 Hankook V2's plus its much quieter too now. Rest of my wandering issues were resolved after i set the alignment and lowered it with my Tein Basis.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
I like that the steering of the fit is responsive and quick. On a long stretch of highway I drive with pretty much one finger on my GD (even on the horrible roads in Quebec). My Fit is very prone to windblast though so if you go by an oncoming 18 wheeler or if there are strong cross winds, it needs quite a lot of correction to maintain control.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:10 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian
I like that the steering of the fit is responsive and quick. On a long stretch of highway I drive with pretty much one finger on my GD (even on the horrible roads in Quebec). My Fit is very prone to windblast though so if you go by an oncoming 18 wheeler or if there are strong cross winds, it needs quite a lot of correction to maintain control.
The Beatrush undertray I put on my GD cured the tendency to wander (even on the original el crappo Dunlops), plus made the car far far far less susceptible to semis and sidewinds. Oh, and it hunkers down and hangs on better in the swoopy offramps too!

For those folks saying that "Honda" recommended replacing the wheels and tires; pardon me for stating the obvious, but wasn't that actually a salesperson making the recommendation? In other words, someone who makes their living by getting you to buy stuff. Specifically in this case, overpriced stuff from the dealer.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RAH
This is kind of an old thread so maybe the OP has resolved his issues, but I just want to mention that I recently bought a 2013 Fit (auto transmission) and it does not wander on the road much at all. In fact, it really impressed me with how little steering adjustment I have to make on a straight road - I specifically noticed it. So, I think that there is definitely a problem with the car that the OP has, which others have said.
Yeah... That's why they need to put the Date originally posted next to the Thread owner's name. You can't tell unless you look at the first post.

oh well.

~SB

Quick Reply: Quality problems 2012 Fit