2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Quality problems 2012 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Mine stopped wandering after miles and increased psi (also get better mpg with it as well) I now have 19k on it and it's great all around. Not sure if it was tires or what. All the wandering is gone.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Today I took the car to get the windows tinted. I stated before the AC seemed fine to me in an earlier post.

Well Im on board with another complaint..... the AC sucks. Since I couldnt roll the windows down I left the door open for a couple minutes to get the hot air out and started driving. Heck 10 minutes down the road and the air coming out was cool, but wasnt cold by any means. But I guess small car, small AC compressor.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:12 AM
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
1- Air conditioning - There is a DIY on how to insulate your AC lines. Cheap and easy. Basically use some hot water pipe insulation tubes from Home Depot. 5-10$. Keeps it cold on a stinking hot day...

2- Squirely...Hmmm check tire pressure all around and make sure you get an alignment done. Even before I installed my sway bar my Fit was rock solid at 80-90+ on the highway in a straight line...

Please report back with your findings after you visit the dealership.

Dwayne
Insulating AC lines keeps car cooler? not from what Ive read https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...nsulation.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ratures-5.html

Last edited by matt1357; 08-11-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:06 AM
5 Year Member
If you are having problem with the AC reducing the amount of cold air after a period of driving time, more than likely you are icing up the evaporator. To get around the problem simply leave the fan on full speed and shut off the AC. Keep driving while feeling the temp of the air at the vent. Over 4 or 5 minutes the ice on the evaporator will melt and the air will start getting warmer. At that point turn on the AC again and it will work like you first started it up.

Another thing that will help on the freeze ups it to run on recirculate. By cooling the same air over and over you reduce the amount of moisture content of the air because most of the moisture goes out the condensate drain from previous passes. Less moisture equals longer time between freeze ups.

I have a Blazer that does the same thing but I'm too lazy to fix it at this point. I have all the stuff and it would not take me 20 minutes. I just never seem to remember to do it. I just shut it off for a few minutes whenever the airflow becomes restricted by ice.

If you want a permanent fix for your freeze ups, have the R-134 charge checked. You are slightly low on R-134. Be careful not to over charge the system in the process of checking it as it will not cool as well if it is overcharged.

Good Luck

Old 08-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by matt1357
Um...I think it might have made it colder. OP said that the A/C cycled on and off less. That means it maintained its temp for longer before the compressor needed to be turned back on. The a/c system wants to maintain a certain pressure the pressure in the fits a/c is just not conducive to cooling at low speeds/ high temps. Gotta make sacrifices when you only produce 117hp at redline .

Old 08-11-2012, 09:55 AM
I have an 05 Civic. Despite my 5% window tint and from the day i got it, the A/C has always been the same as described by some here in their Fits. 10 minutes down the road, its just cool at best. FAR from other cars i'm used to. Though its really only noticeable when its really hot inside the car. I have to drive with the windows down. Once the interior is outside temp, the A/C keeps the interior cool enough to not sweat, that's about it.
As long as its under 90F outside and lower humitidy, its fine, but won't freeze me out to turn it off unless its under 75F outside. I get hot easy so i always have the A/c turned on unless its below 50F outside.

Basically, i think its the same with all Honda's. It's them being cheap imo. Not all small cars are like this, i've driven some that will freeze me out when full blast very quickly. It's just one of several reason's i have not bitten the bullet on buying a Fit just yet.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
1- Air conditioning - There is a DIY on how to insulate your AC lines. Cheap and easy. Basically use some hot water pipe insulation tubes from Home Depot. 5-10$. Keeps it cold on a stinking hot day...
I am going to try this my air conditioning seemed weak going on a 900 trip back in July but once I turn it off and back on it was fine. The funny thing on the way back it worked fine when I pulled into a gas station we heard something drop in the front. Looked under the car it was ice.

If you what bad A/C own a Volvo 240DL I got colder air by rolling down the windows.

Anybody got the link to this DIY? Thanks

Last edited by cjecpa; 08-11-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
while insulating the A/C return hose won't hurt, the few btu's you save are nothing compared to the sun pouring in the windows. Tinting is your best bet for keeping cooler.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by krunk13
Um...I think it might have made it colder. OP said that the A/C cycled on and off less. That means it maintained its temp for longer before the compressor needed to be turned back on. The a/c system wants to maintain a certain pressure the pressure in the fits a/c is just not conducive to cooling at low speeds/ high temps. Gotta make sacrifices when you only produce 117hp at redline .
If putting 50 cents worth of foam on an ac line made the compressor cycle less don't you think honda would have done that when building the car to increase the fuel economy ratings?

Last edited by matt1357; 08-11-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:40 PM
If putting 50 cents worth of foam on an ac line made the compressor cycle less don't you think honda would have done that when building the car to increase the fuel economy ratings?
They usually do.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by NightScreams
I have an 05 Civic. Despite my 5% window tint and from the day i got it, the A/C has always been the same as described by some here in their Fits. 10 minutes down the road, its just cool at best. FAR from other cars i'm used to. Though its really only noticeable when its really hot inside the car. I have to drive with the windows down. Once the interior is outside temp, the A/C keeps the interior cool enough to not sweat, that's about it.
As long as its under 90F outside and lower humitidy, its fine, but won't freeze me out to turn it off unless its under 75F outside. I get hot easy so i always have the A/c turned on unless its below 50F outside.

Basically, i think its the same with all Honda's. It's them being cheap imo. Not all small cars are like this, i've driven some that will freeze me out when full blast very quickly. It's just one of several reason's i have not bitten the bullet on buying a Fit just yet.
If you want a car with a good, strong air conditioner, don't buy a Fit. Fit's air conditioners are weak. Hyundai's have great air conditioners.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:57 AM
Originally Posted by NightScreams

Well said. Thats pretty much it in a nutshell. Its not that its freeing up at all, right from the get go its pretty much terrible. My cars are cold all the time especially at the start up but the fit is "cool" right off the bat.... not cold.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:16 AM
5 Year Member
No.

Also AC is an option and fuel ratings are not calculated with the AC running or the headlights on.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by n9cv
No.

Also AC is an option and fuel ratings are not calculated with the AC running or the headlights on.
The current series of EPA milage tests does include one with AC on. I'd be shocked if headlights made any difference in milage though.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:36 PM
We bought our Fit on July 31st. Took it on vacation through the desert. in 100 degree heat the air conditioner would stop working after about 90 minutes. Turned the air off for a half an hour and it would work again for another 90 minutes. The air never worked that good. Took it in to the dealer and they couldn't find a problem. Honda motor corp told the dealer to replace multiple parts. Brought it in a week later for the work. Lost 2 days with the car. Drove it yesterday in 100 degree heat and it is not any better. Now the check engine light is on and we only have 3500 miles on it. I like the car but am getting very concerned about these issues. i wonder if the huge windshield is part of the problem. The dashboard is very hot to the touch when driving in heat. I also don't like driving into the sunrise or sunset on long trips.Very disturbing on the eyes

Old 10-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i had zero issues on a 08.
i have zero issues on my 09
i have zero issues on my 12

i suppose you could improve your situation by getting window tint. the dash will get hot on pretty much any car if left in the sun or driving in the sun for a long time. we had 100F days here this summer and no issue on the 09. the air does not cool as well as my other cars, but it worked. i bought the 12 late summer so the highest it's seen is 95F. no issue.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by tomcas
Honda has some serious quality issues with this car.
I would have to dispute that statement. I've been driving Hondas since the early 1980s, and of all cars on the road, I'd say Honda is about the last one on the list you could say that about. My 2010 base AT with 22k on it is a gem of a car.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
Bought 2012 sport at, enjoyed driving locally without problems. Last month went a road trip. Like you found A/C sometimes felt like it wasn't working, I had my IR thermometer and shot the windshield and then the dash vent 20 degrees less, should be 40, stopped for night next day tested after an hour and had the 40 degree difference. Return trip no problems but I did keep the blower on 3 or 4 in case cause was freezeup.

Seat around town was fine, 6 hrs and butt was feeling like I was sitting on a board, no solution, yet. I will try the washers under the rail and 1 inch foam under the seat covers.

Easy steering on local roads but long duration highway, fatigue came from having to hold it on correct coarse, easy to over steer, can't take eyes off road. Maybe new tires will fix, when old ones wear out. When my Dodge van steered that bad I installed steering stabilizer and changed the tire pressures to correct. Didn't think I should have to do that on a new car.

Please post if you get yours corrected.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
dave- i recommend memory foam for your butt. in colder weather, keep it inside the house until you're ready to drive. it stiffens up when too cold.

something like this, but try to find one for car use.

Amazon.com: Kensington Memory Foam Seat Cushion, Black: Home & Kitchen Amazon.com: Kensington Memory Foam Seat Cushion, Black: Home & Kitchen

Old 10-02-2012, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ursenay
I would have to dispute that statement. I've been driving Hondas since the early 1980s, and of all cars on the road, I'd say Honda is about the last one on the list you could say that about. My 2010 base AT with 22k on it is a gem of a car.
What are you disputing? I've already said I drove another fit at the dealer and it was fine so it's obvious that not all of them have a problem. I don't know maybe pre Tsunamis are all fine but if you simply take the time to read all the responses you will find:
4 responses say it wanders and AC sucks
5 more responses say it wanders and no mention of AC
2 more responses say AC sucks and no mention of wandering
1 more response says wandering got better with time
That's a crap load of people in just one posting who have quality problems with their fit.

Quick Reply: Quality problems 2012 Fit