2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
trailer wiring

Hi, Everybody,

Newbie here.

I just got a new 2012 Base Fit and am thinking about adding a Class 1 trailer hitch to tow a motorcycle trailer. I've found several hitches that will work, but before I commit, has anyone added a trailer-wiring harness to their Fit?

GaryK

Old 08-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by gkarasik
Hi, Everybody,

Newbie here.

I just got a new 2012 Base Fit and am thinking about adding a Class 1 trailer hitch to tow a motorcycle trailer. I've found several hitches that will work, but before I commit, has anyone added a trailer-wiring harness to their Fit?

GaryK
I added the wiring to my GD3, but since I use the hitch for other things besides a trailer, I have not bothered to wire up my GE8. I have the kit, just have not installed it. Wiring kits are inexpensive and easy to install. But watch out for "Fit compatible" wiring kits being sold on Ebaymotors. One kit that I bought there absolutely did not fit properly. Etrailer.com has great prices on hitches and wiring kits that really do work as advertised.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
I added the wiring to my GD3, but since I use the hitch for other things besides a trailer, I have not bothered to wire up my GE8. I have the kit, just have not installed it. Wiring kits are inexpensive and easy to install. But watch out for "Fit compatible" wiring kits being sold on Ebaymotors. One kit that I bought there absolutely did not fit properly. Etrailer.com has great prices on hitches and wiring kits that really do work as advertised.
Thanks. I've seen the eTrailer options and will probably go that way. I'm wondering if I can install the wiring kit myself. I have very few mechanical skills.

GaryK

Old 08-30-2012, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Wiring kit for my 2012 Sport, was easy, hardest thing to do was drill hole left rear corner of spare tire space, I cut the wire between the supplied electronic box and the trailer plug pushed the wire thru hole and reconnected wire, the rest is just pulling the bulb sockets out and plug them into the wiring harness and reinstall. Get to them by popping off access covers and with hand or pliers turn each plug counter clockwise less than a 1/4 turn.
Curt kit 56011 for honda fit and others.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DaveFL
Wiring kit for my 2012 Sport, was easy, hardest thing to do was drill hole left rear corner of spare tire space, I cut the wire between the supplied electronic box and the trailer plug pushed the wire thru hole and reconnected wire, the rest is just pulling the bulb sockets out and plug them into the wiring harness and reinstall. Get to them by popping off access covers and with hand or pliers turn each plug counter clockwise less than a 1/4 turn.
Curt kit 56011 for honda fit and others.
Thanks very much! Sounds like I can do it.

GaryK

Old 08-30-2012, 06:00 PM
+1 for eTrailer for hitch & harness. I used harness# 118420, but they're all the same really.

No cutting, no drilling, it's all plug and play with zero modification.

It's completely unncessary to drill a hole for the trailer harness, just close it in the hatch when you're using it. Put it in the spare tire well when you're not.

Name:  IMG_0387-1.jpg
Views: 2932
Size:  149.0 KB

Old 08-30-2012, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Even easier. I can see where drilling the hold might be better for a permanent install where I would be using the trailer often, but in fact I won't be using it very often at all, so just leading it out the back should work fine. Thanks, Jimmy.

GaryK

Old 08-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Also, when you install the hitch, you don't have to cut the plastic part that covers one of the holes you have to use, just pull it back and let it cover that bolt once your done. That won't make sense until you go to install it. Just remember that you don't have to cut that plastic cover, just take the fastener out and let it hang there.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Potenza
+1 for eTrailer for hitch & harness. I used harness# 118420, but they're all the same really.

No cutting, no drilling, it's all plug and play with zero modification.

It's completely unncessary to drill a hole for the trailer harness, just close it in the hatch when you're using it. Put it in the spare tire well when you're not.

I was going to post exactly the same info., but Potenza beat me to it.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Also, when you install the hitch, you don't have to cut the plastic part that covers one of the holes you have to use, just pull it back and let it cover that bolt once your done. That won't make sense until you go to install it. Just remember that you don't have to cut that plastic cover, just take the fastener out and let it hang there.
Thanks. I was wondering about that after I saw the UTube install video.

GaryK

Old 08-30-2012, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
I was going to post exactly the same info., but Potenza beat me to it.
Thanks, everybody. I feel much more confident now. I'll post a pic when I'm all done.

GaryK

Old 09-01-2012, 08:49 AM
You got entirely correct and accurate info from potenza and triskelion.

100% plug and play, very easy install for wiring. As stated no need to cut the plastic shroud underneath. You can easily completely remove both hitch and wiring in the future if you want back to stock and sell hitch/harness. Also no need to drill holes bigger per instructions, just use a chisel and hammer as the etrailer.com install video shows to notch the stock holes. Doesn't take much.

_

Old 09-01-2012, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
You got entirely correct and accurate info from potenza and triskelion.

100% plug and play, very easy install for wiring. As stated no need to cut the plastic shroud underneath. You can easily completely remove both hitch and wiring in the future if you want back to stock and sell hitch/harness. Also no need to drill holes bigger per instructions, just use a chisel and hammer as the etrailer.com install video shows to notch the stock holes. Doesn't take much.

_
Thanks. I've ordered the parts. Looking forward to crawling under my new car.

GaryK

Old 09-01-2012, 01:12 PM
I didn't even have to notch the holes.

There is a bigger hole on the vertical part of the frame rail that you can put the plate through. These pics show that larger hole and the plastic shroud on the drivers side. There's also a larger hole on the passenger side.

Name:  a62deb5d.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  89.0 KB

Name:  53e1579a.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  164.7 KB

Old 09-01-2012, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
It just keeps getting better!

GaryK

Old 09-10-2012, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
I didn't even have to notch the holes.

There is a bigger hole on the vertical part of the frame rail that you can put the plate through. These pics show that larger hole and the plastic shroud on the drivers side. There's also a larger hole on the passenger side.

That hole is not present on the 2012 Base model.

My battery-powered dremel ran out of juice enlarging the second hole. I used the side of a bastard file to notch the hole by hand. Just took a couple of minutes.