3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit Towing - Trailer Light Connector

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Fit Towing - Trailer Light Connector

Hey all,

I just installed a new Curt Class I hitch on my 15 Fit EX Manual. I've got a small trailer I want to pull but to be legal it needs to have functioning lights. The trailer has a 4 prong flat connector which is standard for lots of trailers. I'm having difficulty locating a trailer wiring harness for the Fit.

I want to know what all of you who are towing are using to run the lights on the trailer? Did you just buy a universal connector and splice it to the Fit taillight harness or did you purchase a plug and play kit? If so, brand?

Any help would be great! I'm trying to avoid doing any custom wiring so if anyone knows any plug and play kits, it would be awesome!

Old 05-05-2015, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
You may go nuts trying to wire it. I suspect you have just one dual filament bulb on each side the trailer where as the Fit has three filaments. If so you will need to add a couple lights day for signals and use exisitng for brake and tail.

I went through this way back in the 60s trying to wire up a Sears Tent Trailer to an Austin 1100.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:10 PM
There are currently no plug and play kits for the Honda Fit. There are no plugs at all actually. Everything is hardwired in to the lights with the OEM harness. You need to use scotch locks to connect the trailer light converter. Its not hard, just tedious. Since I'm such a nice guy, heres ALL the info you can ever need complete with picture and video!!!!

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums - Bassguitarist1985's Album: 2015 Fit EX 6MT: Trailer Wire harness, lighting & electric trailer brakes

Wiring for 2015 Honda Fit - Tow Ready 119190KIT

Now if you want to go more complex with a 6 or 7 way connector, read this post for the necessary parts:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1277402
and this one... https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1277557
and this one... https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1280639

Wiring correlation between unit and Honda Fit.

Function----------Light Unit----------Honda Fit EX

Taillight------------Brown-----------------Grey
Brake Light----------Red---------------Light Green
Left Turn-----------Yellow----------------Yellow
Right Turn----------Green-----------------Green
Reverse------------N/A-----------------Brown

Your Welcome!

Old 05-06-2015, 02:40 PM
You're not your , great info, been pondering a hitch since before I bought it.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by thedrummingfish
You're not your , great info, been pondering a hitch since before I bought it.

Glad I was able to help. Yes I thought of towing with my Fit since before I bought it too. I had to sell my pickup truck due to hard financial times, but a trailer was the next best thing.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
I had to sell my pickup truck due to hard financial times, but a trailer was the next best thing.
No, it's better. You get economy and performance until you actually need to haul something, and even then you still get surprising economy. A decent trailer is actually more usable than a pickup (although behind a Fit you lose a lot of weight- I got a yard and a half of sand this wekend and used the minivan to tow it).

Old 05-13-2015, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
No, it's better. You get economy and performance until you actually need to haul something, .... A decent trailer is actually more usable than a pickup....

You are right, that makes me feel much better! I had my trailer custom made with the heavier 3500lb axle with trailer brakes instead of the standard 2k axle. It can handle just under 2k of cargo, however the FIt cannot tow that much obviously, so I'm limited to about 1000 pounds to comply with the limitations of the class I hitch, and keep the GVWR below the safe max. I rarely if at all need to haul that much anyway. My heaviest load is just shy of 800 pounds, my PA system.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:53 PM
4-flat wiring for a 2015.

A late reply, but thanks for your documentation. We have a hitch for our bike rack, and weren't looking for wiring, but now have a need. With a 2015 ourselves (albeit a Canadian edition), it sounds like there are no plugs but we have to hard-wire it in. I'm good with that work, but have a question about how to get under the trunk fabric (where to get started without ripping it, and where to look for the connections - right behind the lights, I reckon, but since you've already been inside am asking if you have any tips). Thanks, & take care,

Joe

Old 11-14-2017, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
Southern Indiana it seems that any working light is better than most trailers being towed. So in my case I am only partially legal for my quick trips to the home improvement store. I have the four wire flat on the trailer and I created a long jumper harness that plugs into my 12v plug-in on the dash, or console. This lights up the running lights but means I don't have brake lights.

Not advocating my method.. This is small town, in rural America....

I have thought about using my current set up with a whisker switch that I could maybe clamp under the dash. I really don't want to cut into any wiring and deal with rotten trailer plugs every few years. I only make one or two trips to the store, and maybe one Ikea trip each year. I guess maybe a landscaping trip too..

Old 11-14-2017, 09:25 PM
I hear you. In Ontario, the Highway Traffic Act and related regs state that:

"Your trailer must have:
- a white licence plate light
- a red tail light
- two red reflectors at the rear of the trailer, as far apart as possible."

So, I don't even need signals. I could do that with bike lights zip-tied, and that approach kind of fits in the with Northern Ontario "just give 'er" attitude, and let me drag the chipper around. So that may be the immediate tactic, but I'll aim for figuring out how to do the proper wiring before I take it on the 6-lane interstate equivalent.

Thanks for motivating me to look up the HTA, and realize that the law itself is pretty lax.

BTW, do you manually log you CyclingFit #s? I'm not familiar with it. Take care,

Joe

Old 11-15-2017, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gisjoe

BTW, do you manually log you CyclingFit #s? I'm not familiar with it. Take care,

Joe

Hey Joe - Are you talking about the fuelly info in my signature line? Yes, I log on my phone and the signature stays updated.