2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

If you own a Chinese made fit, you should read this.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
^No. Only Japan made until the '14s.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
fixed.

10char
True. I wonder how long this has been known, and if they have done anything about it. They certainly should have

Old 03-13-2013, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Mines made in Thailand. Hopefully no rust.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
As far as I know only Canadian fits are currently from china. Vin number would start with LUC.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by connor55
As far as I know only Canadian fits are currently from china. Vin number would start with LUC.
Correct on both counts.

Have to say, checked, saw nothing...at least not yet!(eep!) Honestly, though, have no issues as far as overall quality of fit and finish. Car feels solid and and really have no regrets. Love how this car drives and feels. Reminds me of my long gone beloved '89 Civic Si.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
You Canada guys should probably see how many cars are affected and if its a substantial amount, hit up Honda of Canada.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by cjecpa
looks like my backseats from my EF, that is normal there.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:59 AM
here is aonther thing where you can see how the chinese save money with the paint job.
this frontmask does not have any paint.

i will do a big conservation with wax in sommer.
all sideskirts, fenders, doors and the trunk i will put full of wax

Old 03-17-2013, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
They've been building the Fit/Jazz in China since 2005/2006. Canada started receiving Chinese-built Fits in 2011 -- you're incorrect if you think that Canada's the only country getting Chinese Fits.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:01 AM
Banned
Ahhhhhh,
I get my canadian, chinese made 2013 fit on monday!!!! (tomorrow)

Do I cancel it?
or get some special letter from them first that they'll take care of all rust issues?

Thanks. (ALL input will be read and appreciated.)

Old 03-17-2013, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
I was talking about North America. In the first post, I mention that German jazzes are mainly having this problem.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:52 PM
ohw
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gra-fit-e
Ahhhhhh,

Do I cancel it?
or get some special letter from them first that they'll take care of all rust issues?

Assuming you have not paid in full, you can cancel, but likely lose your deposit. Don't think you will get a letter either, they will tell you it is protect under warranty. But that does not mean you will get a new car, or they will fix it if rust shows up. It only means that you are stuck with it.
You may be able to apply the deposit to buy a different car from the same dealer if you work with them nicely. But this has to be done BEFORE you pick up the car or handing the money over.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
Ahhhhhh,

Do I cancel it?

If it means anything to you, I picked up my '12 Chinese made Fit Sport(they hadn't recieved any '13s yet but it worked to my advantage since the interest rate on the '12 was super low to move it and there's almost no difference in features in the '13. Guess not many wanted a white sport manual. Worked to my advantage! ) last week from my dealer and don't regret it. It's a solid car

Old 03-17-2013, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by moniz
If it means anything to you, I picked up my '12 Chinese made Fit Sport(they hadn't recieved any '13s yet but it worked to my advantage since the interest rate on the '12 was super low to move it and there's almost no difference in features in the '13. Guess not many wanted a white sport manual. Worked to my advantage! ) last week from my dealer and don't regret it. It's a solid car
I'm curious if you have the rusting problem as well. It would be interesting to see if the problem is as widespread here as in other countries.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
I'm curious if you have the rusting problem as well. It would be interesting to see if the problem is as widespread here as in other countries.
Well after re-readimg this thread, I did a more thorough look at my door seals, and yes there are some spots. A tiny dot on the drivers that I just scratched away with my key and immediately was at bare metal, and some spots along the rear passenger about 2-3" Will bring it to my dealers attention. Otherwise will be doing a little bit of sanding and touch paint this spring for damn sure!!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by moniz
Will bring it to my dealers attention. Otherwise will be doing a little bit of sanding and touch paint this spring for damn sure!!
Hi,
I'm assuming you meant something like: "...and THEY will fix it; Otherwise..."
- and I would love to know what they say, as there is a chance my car will not be ready, as they are doing renovations at Honda and can't do the rustproofing on all the cars as normally scheduled. And it sure makes sense as to why she was pushing the rustproofing on me. hmmmm...

If it is a known issue, by them, with the car and I was not told, Hell is going to have knew home when I'm done with them. (but I'll be as polite as I can )

Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
Hi,
I'm assuming you meant something like: "...and THEY will fix it; Otherwise..."
- and I would love to know what they say, as there is a chance my car will not be ready, as they are doing renovations at Honda and can't do the rustproofing on all the cars as normally scheduled. And it sure makes sense as to why she was pushing the rustproofing on me. hmmmm...

If it is a known issue, by them, with the car and I was not told, Hell is going to have knew home when I'm done with them. (but I'll be as polite as I can )

Hmm so far that's 3/3 of us from canada that have some rust, guess its turning out to be a problem here too..

Old 03-17-2013, 11:09 PM
ohw
5 Year Member
Dealers push for rust proof usually is because of the profit. I wonder what the dealer would do with the rust if you point them out during the warranty period. May be they WD-40 it, wipe them off and give the car back to you.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Banned
well, couldn't see car today,
although, I will be taking the car as it is a lease to buy deal and I'm not going to be stuck with it. ( I was planning on buying it. The lease was to lower payments now; an RRSP thing... )
- I did take the 4th year of warranty, and that's when the lease ends.
-- although surface rust coverage is only 3 years, but that'll be Honda's problem then.
- I did take the coughamerigardcough rust proof, cause I like the tar type. It will also help deaden road noise.
-- although it is only perforation coverage.

If the car starts to fall apart, then I will have lived like the rich for 4 years, and I will start over with possibly a non-fit car...
- but who knows...

Conclusion:
Although this site was getting me pumped with mods and tweeks, I'm going to start off with the car as a gas saving platform and hope that it grows on me in a non-rust'ic fashion.

ps: I won't be picking it up until this coming dump of snow is gone. (so nice to know somebody on the inside who can stall the process.)

...guess my next post will be in: What did you do to your fit today
::cheers::

Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Banned
Hellooooooooo!
Ok, it's been um, 7.5 days since I got it and this is where I'm at:
1) I got the head of salesmen to sign lease saying that I was not responsible for surface rust for the 1st four years.
- so it's still a 4 year lease.
- there was no way I was taking that car without that, and I made that fact very clear to them.
The rest are not rust related:
2) Paint on plastic parts are always darker. They know this and still sell patchy cars.(I don't think I'm done with this issue.)
- I like "WAY" see it in the rear wing above window.
- in right light I see it in door handles.(oh, car is gray)
- I'm told I'll see it in the huge bumpers, in the right light.(great...)
3) They left wax smears all over the place that look like scratches. I think they are hiding a scratch.
- I'm washing car today at buddies, and we'll go over it twice.
4) car/engine is loud? what? wait! I'll turn down radio...
- but they should not be allowed to say that thing is 160w; I just know it sounds weaker than 2001 Alero I was just driving.(no, I'm not talking about bass as the Alero has trunk speakers, and not the same animal.)
5) I did 112 km/h on cruise control for about 70 km and I did roughly 12L/100km (sucks, but it's her first tank of gas and I'm hoping that will get better.)
- does anyone else with an element Lockable gas cap have efficiency problems? ( will have to do a tank without lockable in place.)
- also, that was in the top half the gas tank which they say is bigger(in the old days) so it could be worse than 12L/100km.

Still, it's fun as heck to drive!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you own a Chinese made fit, you should read this.