2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you own a Chinese made fit, you should read this.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gra-fit-e
5) I did 112 km/h on cruise control for about 70 km and I did roughly 12L/100km (sucks, but it's her first tank of gas and I'm hoping that will get better.)
- does anyone else with an element Lockable gas cap have efficiency problems? ( will have to do a tank without lockable in place.)
- also, that was in the top half the gas tank which they say is bigger(in the old days) so it could be worse than 12L/100km.

Still, it's fun as heck to drive!
Well first of all, was the tank truly topped up? Secondly, I get 200 miles out of the first half of the tank, and 150mi out of the second. Those gauges are nowhere near linear! Give it a few tanks so you can get a good average though, mine would get 38mpg on long trips! Which is 6.18L/100km

Also, all this talk of rust made me go check mine (a 2011 made in japan). Only the tiniest hint of rust in one of the corners there.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:41 PM
ohw
5 Year Member
Congratulations. The FIT is a very fun and functional car.

Don't think they would purposely try to hide small scratches. That takes work. Most new cars come with micro scratches in the paint. Most of the scratches come from the dealer when they prep the car for delivery. The less they touch the paint, less scratches you'll have. If you have wax still on the car, that's good news because they did not rub the paint hard using whatever cloth they happen to be using at the time.

Try not to use cruise control when the engine is new. Drive normally with different RPMs. Although the new cars these days are made with good precision, it is still a good practice. Also there are many discussions on whether to drive hard and red line a new engine. Both arguments seem valid, I normally take it easy for about 1000 to 2000 Km.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ohw
Congratulations. The FIT is a very fun and functional car.

Don't think they would purposely try to hide small scratches. That takes work. Most new cars come with micro scratches in the paint. Most of the scratches come from the dealer when they prep the car for delivery. The less they touch the paint, less scratches you'll have. If you have wax still on the car, that's good news because they did not rub the paint hard using whatever cloth they happen to be using at the time.

Try not to use cruise control when the engine is new. Drive normally with different RPMs. Although the new cars these days are made with good precision, it is still a good practice. Also there are many discussions on whether to drive hard and red line a new engine. Both arguments seem valid, I normally take it easy for about 1000 to 2000 Km.
I washed car, and found nothing. phew!
- I guess I should be happy they waxed it at all. hehe
-- but did find a dollar bill sized spot where they didn't get off the shipping coating. (no biggy)
Cruise control, hmmm, it's not flat flat here, so it does have to speed up and slow down a bit. I don't usually do highway(only 7 km's from work) so her breakin will be alot of stop-sign to stop-sign driving. ( the fun part haha )
- and at 14 km's / day, 1000 km's is a long long longggggggggg way away.
-- 2000 km's is just out of the question.

meep meep

Old 03-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by x_25
Well first of all, was the tank truly topped up? Secondly, I get 200 miles out of the first half of the tank, and 150mi out of the second. Those gauges are nowhere near linear! Give it a few tanks so you can get a good average though, mine would get 38mpg on long trips! Which is 6.18L/100km

Also, all this talk of rust made me go check mine (a 2011 made in japan). Only the tiniest hint of rust in one of the corners there.
Foist of all, no, it was not topped up, it was a bad guesstimate.
I did 70 km's and it moved a quarter of a tank, so, more like 15L / 100 km's
- just did 110 km's at 100 km/h and it was a hair over a quarter tank useage, from 1/2 tank to 1/4 tank, so, much better.

sorry to hear about rust, check to see if varsol leaves an oily enough protection coating while you whipe it clean; if not I'd not sit on the thought; as a wise movie once told me, sorta: "Rust begets Rust!"

Old 04-01-2013, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Okay guys, i was doing my routine maintenance stuff today and i found some rust in a new spot. not sure if its just mine, or another chinese fit problem. let me know if you guys have it too.

its basically on all the welds for the front crash bar, i was just casually shining a flashlight around when i noticed this. i dont have pics yet, will try to take some later.

but you should check this out too. let me know what you find.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:57 AM
like this?

Old 04-02-2013, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah that's exactly what I have. Since you guys don't have the front crash bar, I guess it's a slightly different spot on mine than in this picture.

Is this also a big problem in Germany?

Old 04-05-2013, 12:37 AM
i know only one with this problem.
it is his pic.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by moniz
Correct on both counts.

Have to say, checked, saw nothing...at least not yet!(eep!) Honestly, though, have no issues as far as overall quality of fit and finish. Car feels solid and and really have no regrets. Love how this car drives and feels. Reminds me of my long gone beloved '89 Civic Si.
Those '89's were nice. Should never have sold mine, but I won a Wrangler in a drawing, and just didn't need 3 cars.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
On the subject of rust, I have a Fit that was made in Japan. I see rust coming from around the rubber gromet that's around the trunk key hole. Can you all check and see if you have any problems there too?

Old 04-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Trunk Key Hole? My 2012 does not have a key hole in the trunk

Old 05-08-2013, 05:10 AM
i removed the bumper to paint my headlights and found this.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:14 AM
Most Indonesian-built (Karawang factory, Bogor, Indonesia) Jazz/Fits and Freeds also have the same rust problem, especially in the coastal areas, like where I am now.

Here's an article from an Indonesian website to show how bad the rust problems are, even though the cars are still relatively new.
The article might be in Bahasa, but you know what I mean by looking at the pics.
All About Honda Freed Mencegah Karat - Otomotifnet : Mega Portal Berita dan Komunitas Otomotif
Karat Di Balik Karet Waspada Lokasi Ngumpet - Otomotifnet : Mega Portal Berita dan Komunitas Otomotif

Sadly, they are not covered by the warranty either.

As for now, I have rusts surrounding the door lock brackets, door hinges and near the upper window rubber seals. (don't mind the rust on the hood and fenders, that's another problem )

Old 08-01-2013, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
Updated the top post with pics of my rusted front crash bar. Looks a lot like yours Marco. My dealership will have a look at it after I get back from vacation.

Name:  image_zpsb579ff01.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  67.1 KB
Name:  image_zps72be60d5.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  112.7 KB
Name:  image_zpsbcce4f7d.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  48.2 KB

Last edited by connor55; 08-01-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:24 PM
I spoke with my dealer, he told me that this is not part of the warranty.
I also found it in this in this warranty brochure.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Oh gosh. I nearly threw up looking at those picts.

I bought my 2009 used. I better check just in case even if it was made in Japan.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Starting to panic...

How can I even think about this car lasting over 10 years if these brand new cars already have rust starting to appear? Maybe you guys could include how many winters they've been through so far?

We just picked up a 13' and to even have to worry about rust before it's first winter has arrived is nerve racking. Ugh...and someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the Honda warranty will only cover rust if it's eaten right through the metal?

Sounds great....should expect that right around the 5 year mark...

Old 08-04-2013, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
I DO HAVE A CHINESE MADE FIT... and it is having these already.... is not even 2 years old...

Old 08-04-2013, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
While the fit and finish of the Mexican made FITs may not be as good as the Chinese ones, I wonder if the overall reliability and durability (especially as regards RUST) might not be better. Even though Honda is OK with foisting off possibly inferior Chinese FITs on Canadians, they won't want to offend the American market. Therefore, since the 2015s for both markets will be coming from the same factory, maybe I should wait for the 3rd Gen?

Or perhaps I should wait for the rumoured 2016 Civic hatch. Although I'd lay heavy odds that it will feature poor rear 3/4 visibility with ginormous C-pillars and that Rising-Beltline meme. LOL, they're pissing me off before they have even done anything! Future-Crime!

Last edited by redsun; 08-04-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wannabe
How can I even think about this car lasting over 10 years if these brand new cars already have rust starting to appear? Maybe you guys could include how many winters they've been through so far?

We just picked up a 13' and to even have to worry about rust before it's first winter has arrived is nerve racking. Ugh...and someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the Honda warranty will only cover rust if it's eaten right through the metal?

Sounds great....should expect that right around the 5 year mark...
Mines been through 1.5 winters so far. Bought it feb 2012 while it was still cold out.

Also, I found more of the same rust happening on the rear crash bar. People outside of Canada shouldn't have to worry about this because only NA has a rear crash bar afaik.

I'm gunna start poking around the whole car now and pray I don't find anything else....

Quick Reply: If you own a Chinese made fit, you should read this.