2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does my 2013 base fit have security?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Does my 2013 base fit have security?

Maybe I was looking at specs on older models, but I thought my Fit (base auto, not sport) probably didn't have a security system. Does it? It does have a remote.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Yep. My '12 base has an alarm.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:24 AM
It comes equipped with a KARR alarm, which theoretically, the dealer 'turns off,' if you don't buy the option. On mine, I didn't pay for the option, but the light still flashes on the dash, as if the alarm activates, when I lock the doors with the remote. Not sure if they didn't turn off the alarm, or if the light just flashes as if there is an alarm. Either way, it is fine with me. All I wanted was the flashing light.

So, either you can go to the dealer and pay them to activate the built-in alarm, or you can likely get an aftermarket alarm easily installed.

Kev

Old 03-21-2013, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
KARR is what the dealer used to keep the car secure on the lot, its not installed at the factory. If you pay for it they leave it in.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by kgb4187
KARR is what the dealer used to keep the car secure on the lot, its not installed at the factory. If you pay for it they leave it in.
This is incredibly confusing. Now I see that the honda site has "security system" as a standard feature. But it's not?

Old 03-21-2013, 07:35 AM
5 Year Member
Easy way to test it. Get in your car, set the alarm and wait 5 minutes and then MANUALLY open your door (do not use the fob to unlock it). If it goes off you have your answer.

My '09 has one and I did not pay extra for anything.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
Easy way to test it. Get in your car, set the alarm and wait 5 minutes and then MANUALLY open your door (do not use the fob to unlock it). If it goes off you have your answer.

My '09 has one and I did not pay extra for anything.
You don't even need to wait five minutes. The blinking red light in the instrument cluster—not the one on the radio—starts out with a relatively quick flash cadence. When it slows down to a slower flash, the alarm has armed; I think it's around 30 seconds or so. (It's armed by locking the door with the key from the outside or with the remote keyfob, and disarmed by unlocking with the key or keyfob...so for testing, lock yourself in with the keyfob, or reach in or out through the window as appropriate.)

It's not a very fancy alarm. It only detects doors opening, not glass breakage or vehicle jostling or other such things.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Your 2013 does indeed have security features including immobilizer & alarm. You can find the details of the system on page 90 of the owners manual. Pages 70 & 71 show the dash indicators.

Declining a dealer installed security system is a good decision.

Last edited by mrnoyb; 03-21-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:59 AM
The last two posters hit the nail on the head. I'm very wary of after market alarms and tracking systems. After a couple of years they can cause parasitic drains on the electric system. When I was a service advisor, and we had a customer that was complaining that their car kept dying, but their battery testing good, first thing we asked is if they had any kind of after market security system and a lot of the time that was the problem....freakin low jacks man.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:02 AM
Yes...don't get the dealer add-ons.

Most of the time, they go ahead and put them on every car, then try to charge you for them, and don't take them off, when you don't buy them.

They wanted to charge me $400 for mudguards. There are mudguards on the car...and they didn't take them off when I didn't pay for them.

They wanted to charge me $300 to put clear door edge guards on. They were already on when I test-drove the car. They didn't take them off, when I didn't pay for them.

They wanted to charge me $80 for locking nuts for the wheels, which were already in a pack in the glove compartment, when I test drove the car. They didn't remove them from the car, when I didn't pay for them.

The offered me a 7-year warranty extension for $x. I said no. Then they offered me the same extension for $500 LESS, or an 8-year extension for $300 less. I took the 8-year extension (think about when the major problems have happened with your cars...the price of a car takes a significant drop at 7 years for a reason...everyone is dumping the car just before it hits 100K miles and the first round of problems hits).

My basic point is, never say YES to a dealer as your first answer. There is always a better price, if you are willing to get up and walk away, or even just say, "no" to the first offer.

Kev