2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Fit Blower Motor--Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member
Honda Fit Blower Motor--Revealed

Here is a quick look inside the Honda Fit A/C heater blower motor. In case you don’t know already, there is a Technical Service Bulletin which states that if the blower motor resister burns out that the motor itself should be replaced, which means that Honda is aware that these expensive motors are defective.

As my son was driving home from school last week, he noticed that the air flow from the A/C vents had stopped. Turning the speed control up, the fan (blower) immediately began making noise. He switched it to off, then back on, and the noise was apparent on every speed. Within a few seconds the resistor burned out and the fan would only operate at the highest setting. Pulling the blower out revealed the fact that the motor was difficult to turn and would not spin freely.

The vehicle in-service date is October 2008, with currently just over 40K miles. Calling Honda resulted in a Goodwill claim, but without any confirmation as to the percentage (from 10% to 100%) they would pay. However, the consumer would have to pay the dealership diagnostic service fee ($79) which would not be covered, and of course allow the dealer to fully fix the car with both parts and labor. $189 plus tax for the motor and $18 for the resistor was the best local price, plus an estimated labor of around $80. Putting it all together, knowing that the best case scenario is eating the diagnostic service fee, and worst case would be Honda willing to pay only 10% of parts and labor (which a service manager said was likely), I ordered my own parts. So with parts coming next week, we decided to look into the shot blower motor.

The blower motor failed because of the bottom bearing, and the motor was difficult to pull apart because of it had formed a small grove into the shaft.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 04-28-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
This guy seemed to have the same problem https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...igh-speed.html

Old 04-28-2013, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Perhaps....when that happens the resistor has burned out its fuse link...which means a new resistor is required. The fan will still run on "high" since that setting bypasses the resistor. The question is what caused the resistor to burn out? Honda's TSB does not state the true cause, only that the blower motor is pulling more amps than it should. I suspect the reason is because the bearing is tearing up and creating a drag on motor spin, thus pulling more amps.

When we pulled the motor, the fan blades would not spin freely...thus I knew that the motor was shot...along with the fact that my son mentioned that it made a noise just before the resistor blew. In talking with a few Honda parts people, Honda is still using the same part number for the motor, which implies that modifications or improvements to the motor have not been made. I'm not happy with Honda.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 04-28-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
I saw that it was the same part number as well, but noticed that they said on the TSB that it applies to 09-10 and some 11s. This leads me to believe they fixed the bearing mid 2011 and just didn't update the part number. Well, atleast I hope so... I don't want this to happen to my 2013.

AllData - Technical Service Bulletins
09-097

March 4, 2011

*Applies To:
2009-10 Fit - ALL
2011 Fit - From VIN JHMGE8...B5000001 thru JHMGE8...B5000012
2011 Fit -From VIN JHMGE8...BC000001 thruJHMGE8...BC012605*

HVAC Blower Motor Works Only On High Speed

(Supersedes 09-097, dated December 11, 2009, to revise the information marked by the asterisks)

*REVISION SUMMARY

Under Applies To, all 2010 models and some 2011 models were added.*

SYMPTOM

The HVAC blower motor works only on high speed.

PROBABLE CAUSE

Excessive current draw from the HVAC blower moto

Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
hopefully the motor gets covered under warrenty, but if not you can always try to find one in a junkyard. theyll usually go way cheaper. Especially if hondas just gunna order the same part again.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:20 AM
Banned
Outstanding job on the motor inspection real nice.

Any markings on the bearing so maybe people could replace just the bearing?

Can the motor be taken apart without damaging things enough so it could be put back together with a new bearing?

Old 04-29-2013, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Yea, I tried the junk yard first, but was not able to find anything local. One guy claimed he could get me a blower out of a 2012 ($80 plus shipping) that was about 100 miles from me, but other yards did not "see" that vehicle, so I was worried if the year was true.

Yes, the motor could be disassemble and put back together without breakage, if you are careful. Once the initial top is removed, then everything else should slide out as long as the brushes (and their springs) are pulled first. We ended up breaking the brush holders, but that really was not necessay. The armature would not pull out because the bottom bearing was holding onto the armature shaft due to a wear grove. Had we used a punch on the underside of the motor, we could have avoided breaking the brush arms by driving out the armature, rather than the prying that we did. If I knew what I know now, I would have taken it apart carefully, buffed up the bearing and shaft, greased that area and re-installed. But remember, the resistor can run about $20 a shot, so when the motor starts to drag, it will burn the resistor out quite fast.

New motor and resistor (with shipping) is $200. Honda did us a dis-service with such a poor motor bearing.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 04-29-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
welcome to 2010 or something when the tsb came out.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
I have a 2012 Fit Base and a noisy blower motor at 41,000 miles. I removed the motor and ran it (with a firm grip on the motor) and the noise was there so it is obviously defective. I tried calling Honda dealers & Honda America they said I would have to bring it in to a Honda dealer for a diagnosis ($94 just to start with) and MAYBE they could get me some help. My wife has a 2008 Sonata with 40,000 mi like my Fit with absolulty no problems. So after I pay $200 for a blower motor I guess I will try to sell my Fit before the next well documented problem costs me an arm and a leg. Why in the world has no one started a class action lawsuit on this? How can we get this organized? Honda is OBVIOULY well aware of the problem as the TSB shows. Fells contact me!

Old 05-23-2013, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
The first step in resolving a complaint is to talk to the service manager of the Honda dealer where you normally get service.

Filing a lawsuit prior to this would get thrown out of any court. You failed to work with them to resolve the issue. The burden of proof is yours.

@40K miles and 1 year, I'd be willing to bet they fix it for free.

Good luck with the Hyundai.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
Damn, I guess it also affects newer fits too. I thought it was only a problem on 2009 models..

Old 05-23-2013, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
The first step in resolving a complaint is to talk to the service manager of the Honda dealer where you normally get service.

Filing a lawsuit prior to this would get thrown out of any court. You failed to work with them to resolve the issue. The burden of proof is yours.

@40K miles and 1 year, I'd be willing to bet they fix it for free.

Good luck with the Hyundai.
I don't know where I left off but paying $94 to "have them look at it" and provide a "Honda diagnosis" is hardly worth it. I just bought a brand new blower online for $200. I'm sure others have tried to resolve this issue with dealers and paid the "Honda diagnosis fee" as they do not have the mechanical & electrical skills that I do. I'm not going to be punished by a dealer for a well documented "on the web" problem. I worked for a for dealer for twenty years, I am a computer tech, I know what I'm doing and I know what the problem is. I do agree they should have at least looked at it for free when they darn well know there is a problem with the blower motors!

Last edited by ezdealz; 05-23-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-23-2013, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezdealz
I don't know where I left off but paying $94 to "have them look at it" and provide a "Honda diagnosis" is hardly worth it. I just bought a brand new blower online for $200. I'm sure others have tried to resolve this issue with dealers and paid the "Honda diagnosis fee" as they do not have the mechanical & electrical skills that I do. I'm not going to be punished by a dealer for a well documented "on the web" problem. I worked for a for dealer for twenty years, I am a computer tech, I know what I'm doing and I know what the problem is. I do agree they should have at least looked at it for free when they darn well know there is a problem with the blower motors!
Diagnostic fees annoy the crap out of me too, but without asking in person, you'll never know if they would have waived it. The dynamic over the phone is different. We're talking about a noise that is present when the blower runs, and gone when it doesn't; it's not rocket (or computer) science.

This wasn't a failure. Generally speaking, small noises aren't warranted. Without hearing it I'd tell someone the standard fee too...

Old 05-23-2013, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know where I left off but paying $94 to "have them look at it" and provide a "Honda diagnosis" is hardly worth it.
If the motor still worked, including all speeds, then I can tell you Honda would not do a thing. Honda and the dealerships have really done themselves a disservice when they don't fairly help the consumer...the key word is fairly. And then they charge outrageous prices for parts and service.

I've kept my receipt for the blower and resistor...but I'm not holding my breath for compensation. And by the way, since I did contact Honda and had a "goodwill claim" opened, they sent me a survey about two weeks later. I gave them an ear full.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 05-23-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
since I did contact Honda and had a "goodwill claim" opened, they sent me a survey about two weeks later. I gave them an ear full.

I hear you! Right after I bought my Fit I cancelled my consumer reports subscription. I'm going to re join CR just so I can trash Honda they deserve it!
But I have had enough quick responses here I think I'll fire up a new website and see if I can get something going here.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:52 AM
since I did contact Honda and had a "goodwill claim" opened, they sent me a survey about two weeks later. I gave them an ear full.

I hear you! Right after I bought my Fit I cancelled my consumer reports subscription. I'm going to re join CR just so I can trash Honda they deserve it!
But I have had enough quick responses here I think I'll fire up a new website and see if I can get something going here.
Besides this one "noisy" issue what other problems have you had with your car? Must be a long list to trash them and especially since you will be having to pay to trash them. Like Steve244 says and I had said earlier in this thread, go to your dealer and talk to them in person. In person with the car present to verify the problem will get results or a definite answer. Over the phone, unverified issue, no dealer relationship, etc. you get the standard canned response. You wasted time on the phone and spent money online prematurely, print out the TSB and go visit your dealer.

_

Old 06-03-2013, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation You fooled me once You will not fool me twice

I guess this is what I have to say. Honda you fooled me into paying $17,000+ for a car. Shame on you for not trying to help a consumer! You will not fool me twice by charging $94+++ for your "Honda Diagnosis". I raced cars & motorcycles in my younger days, and I built motors for both. Now I do IT work on the side and have my own server in my living room. I'm probably more capable of providing a diagnosis that a lot of young mechanics! The only deal they offered was to charge me $94 (and more actually) to look at it. And the "maybe" they could get me some help. Well say what you want, they fooled me out of $17,000 and that is all of my money they will get! I did get the new blower installed (myself) and it is working fine.... BUT I'm looking at spending $1000+ in heater blowers if I try drive it to 200,000 mi! Wonder what will break next? I really enjoy it when folks ask me how I like my Honda these days. Honda may not listen to me but I think a few of those I meet will.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Honda jazz cd error

I have a honda jazz, the audio unit, when i insert a cd it doesnt allow me and it gives an cd error, can anyone help?

Old 06-03-2013, 06:43 PM
I guess this is what I have to say. Honda you fooled me into paying $17,000+ for a car. Shame on you for not trying to help a consumer! You will not fool me twice by charging $94+++ for your "Honda Diagnosis". I raced cars & motorcycles in my younger days, and I built motors for both. Now I do IT work on the side and have my own server in my living room. I'm probably more capable of providing a diagnosis that a lot of young mechanics! The only deal they offered was to charge me $94 (and more actually) to look at it. And the "maybe" they could get me some help. Well say what you want, they fooled me out of $17,000 and that is all of my money they will get! I did get the new blower installed (myself) and it is working fine.... BUT I'm looking at spending $1000+ in heater blowers if I try drive it to 200,000 mi! Wonder what will break next? I really enjoy it when folks ask me how I like my Honda these days. Honda may not listen to me but I think a few of those I meet will.
Oh please.

Silverbullet was right on the money. You didn't get fooled into paying $17k for a car. You made a decision and got a car and so far that car has taken you 40k+ miles. In a year. You've certainly gotten some value out of it. It's not like you're stuck with it either, you could fix the blower motor and flip that car and probably recoup most of your investment upfront - might have a difference of 2-3k, which amortizes out to your car payments for the last year. It's not like you bought a lemon - you've had *one* problem and a not-so-great dealership.

Sell the car and move on with your life.

Look, I'm not saying that this isn't a defect or that it's being handled well by Honda. If my fan motor goes out, I'll be unhappy too, but in the grand scheme of things, $300 for a repair isn't that bad. Almost every shop out there will waive the diagnostic fee if you get your repair done there, so if you're that sore over the cost of it, have them do the labor. If it's $80 in labor and they include the diagnostic fee, then you're giving them money when you do it yourself. Do the math.

Fix it, sell it, and find something else to complain about.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:59 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Cutriss
Oh please.

Fix it, sell it, and find something else to complain about.

right on brother