2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I installed this Kenwood Navi head unit today

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:49 PM
I installed this Kenwood Navi head unit today

Install was really easy. The only thing I didn't do yet was the steering wheel control set up because the instructions that came with my device were extremely confusing and I didn't want to mess anything up.

Only problems were the cheap dash mount I bought (Scratched with any kind of contact) and the fact that the emergency flash button and the passenger side airbag light fixture didn't fit into their respective holes properly. Once I install the subs and amb I'll go back and fix that.

So far the unit has been incredible. I got the Kenwood Excelon DNX890HD and played around with it for about an hour.

It has the tendency to lag a bit when doing a few things at once, mostly when typing in names on the GPS menu to search. One problem I'm having is that it will not play the video from DVD's. Even when the car is parked and I have the parking brake on it still says "Parking Off" and will not display any video. It will only play the audio. Other than that I've really enjoyed the unit. The sound quality is miles above what was coming out of the factory radio.

I'll post pictures once I finish the install with the subs and amp. Thanks for checking it out =)

Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
And you're sure connected the wire for the parking brake? When I installed the 8890 (the predecessor to your model), i grounded the parking wire right into the black ground wire of the harness. So, in my case, it should play all the time.

But i don't watch videos in my Fit, i disabled it to more for navigation (in case they use that to lock you out of the controls while in motion).

Old 08-08-2013, 06:58 PM
I didn't try grounding it. It's not a huge deal since I wouldn't be using it for videos anyway, but my fiance would probably not mind watching a movie or something on a long drive. I'll try that out when I take it out again. Thanks!

Old 08-08-2013, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
Looks awesome, good job. I hope to have one of these installed one day. It just looks great since we have that nice large canvas of a flat surface to work with. It could probably eat up a small tablet too.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Spunkmire
I didn't try grounding it. It's not a huge deal since I wouldn't be using it for videos anyway, but my fiance would probably not mind watching a movie or something on a long drive. I'll try that out when I take it out again. Thanks!
Be forewarned that it's illegal in most (maybe all?) states to have a video/movie/TV show playing on a screen that's visible to the driver while driving. The way the Fit is laid out, with the radio pretty high up on the dash and lots of windows around, I suspect cops could easily notice that...and give you grief if they were so inclined.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:45 PM
I used a vvery sharp knife to "hog" the holes out for the hazard button and airbag light

Small things to do when you get a radio install panel for under $30

Old 08-08-2013, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
I used a vvery sharp knife to "hog" the holes out for the hazard button and airbag light

Small things to do when you get a radio install panel for under $30
Honda Fit Kit Fits 2009-up models with silver finish — chassis sizes I, E, and DD at Crutchfield.com

That's only $25 and is snug for the hazard and airbag light (snug, but no need to trim). Heck, it would be free if you bought an HU from them (needs to be over $120).

Okay, enough advertising for Crutchfield.

I kinda like AND dislike the dash I got from Crutchfield... I mean, as a design, the depression around the HU looks lame. But there's so much empty surface around the HU, it's at least... something.

Here is a dark shot of the dash and HU in my Fit. I just took these pictures with my phone at 10:15 PM and the camera dims the surrounding due to the brightness of the lights (screen in first pic, airbag light in second).

I turned off the the screen, but it's still pretty dark.

I like having set to tilt forward (bottom goes into dash, while top comes outward) when its on. It looks less "aftermarket." When it's off, the face moves to it's factory position. Take a look at all pictures of the various units installed into the dash at Crutchfield, they all stick out a bit.

As for that little spot near the airbag light... apparently, the "paint" came off when I pulled a piece of tape (I do deliveries and had one receipt stuck on there). I haven't bothered to fix it.

Last edited by Goobers; 08-08-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
I"m interested in this, or a similar unit, for my '09 Sport. My #1 concern is its performance as a GPS; much less so for music. We travel a lot. So, please, would you remember to post a report on the GPS performance after using it for a week or three?

thanks!

dave

Last edited by dshinnick; 08-12-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:59 PM
There has not been any issues with the GPS so far. Only been installed for a week. Once you update the fiermware it stops any lagging the GPS portion of the unit had. Sound quality is ridiculous, it is an excelon after all. I live in southern Cali so the maps have been extremely detailed so far. I'll post again in a few weeks about this unit.

Note: Does not work with older iPods with disc storage.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
looks good, nice job.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:54 AM
I think it looks great. I'm waiting on my dash kit from sonicelectronix.com. I was going to buy the one from crutchfield, but for some reason I got the other one. But your setup does look killer.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Caught the mailman and he had my dash kit. It's the kit made from Metra and it looks pretty spot on. I did not realize it before but your GPS antenna is in he exact spot in put mine. I was about to ask you where you put it. I'll post some pics in the morning, I'm on my tablet and I guess this forum is in a different format than on a computer.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:32 AM
Yeah it took me awhile to figure out where to put it. I didn't want to rip out the whole dash to try to make it too fancy, and it works perfectly where it is so I'm very happy with it.

I don't have many complaints about the GPS on the system except for one major flaw. It is impossible to use the nav guidance without the unit turning the volume down to give you audio directions. So it interrupts the music ever time it wants to tell you to turn or anything and its really really fuckin annoying. Hopefully fixed with a firmware update someday.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Shoot, that spot is perfect, thanks for the indirect help, lol. Setup looks good.