2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Fit Sport at 26mpg

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:29 PM
2013 Fit Sport at 26mpg

Is this normal? I see mostly everyone pulling 35mpg+/-

It has about 2k miles on it. Practically brand new.

K&N air filter. Otherwise stock. I have had a thule roof rack with a fairing on it that I just took off yesterday thinking it's taking a big hit on mpg. It can't be that drastic though!

OEM tires are at the door jam PSI. Running regular gas. Mostly highway at 75mph lands me at around 26mpg average.

Anything up?

This average is based on 3 different meters. The car dash, my ultragauge, and Fuelly.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ky1eRC
Is this normal? I see mostly everyone pulling 35mpg+/-

It has about 2k miles on it. Practically brand new.

K&N air filter. Otherwise stock. I have had a thule roof rack with a fairing on it that I just took off yesterday thinking it's taking a big hit on mpg. It can't be that drastic though!

OEM tires are at the door jam PSI. Running regular gas. Mostly highway at 75mph lands me at around 26mpg average.

Anything up?

This average is based on 3 different meters. The car dash, my ultragauge, and Fuelly.
How heavy is your right foot? That plays into MPG too. You can't gauge your MPG off figures others are getting because they may be driving alot different than you are.

Also, is your car a manual or automatic? And at 75 your in the area of 3500rpm which is hurting mpg too. The slower you go and the more gingerly apply the throttle will have big gains.
Plus the amount of highway vs city driving affects it all too.

Have you tried driving 65 instead of 75 to see how much more MPG you'll get? You can "grandma" the car and get way better returns than dogging the car everywhere.

Gas Mileage of 2013 Honda Fit

According to that, you are not too far off the combined MPG for the Fit. Those numbers vary based on driving style. Trying being a little more conscientious when driving and see how much you gain over normal habits.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Sounds about right for 75mph and a roof rack. Take it down to 70 and keep the rack off you should get about 35mpg. Is it one of those Thules with the wind screen on it?

Edit: also took mine a little while from new before it started returning good mileage.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, roof racks are a killer. But for reference, my "Toyota" Vibe gets 30 mpg in suburban driving during the winter with the Corolla 1.8 liter automatic. When I go 75-80 on the highway, which the Corolla engine loves, I get 30 mpg as well. When I took a 200 mile trip at a constant 55 miles per hour with the cruise control on, I got an amazing 44 mpg. So as you can see, like a raging alcoholic, these tiny engines are extremely happy to go 80 miles per hour but only because they are sucking down the juice at an alarming rate.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:57 PM
increase your tire pressure a few psi. the dunlops like it on the firmer pressure

Old 01-04-2014, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Katsumoto
How heavy is your right foot?

Also, is your car a manual or automatic?

Have you tried driving 65 instead of 75 to see how much more MPG you'll get?
I drive fairly moderately. Not too aggressive. Cruise control whenever on the highway at about 75mph. I'll have to slow it down a little and see what difference that makes.
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Sounds about right for 75mph and a roof rack. Take it down to 70 and keep the rack off you should get about 35mpg. Is it one of those Thules with the wind screen on it?
Yeah I had a thule rack with a windscreen. Just took it off today to see what difference it makes.
Originally Posted by 13fit
increase your tire pressure a few psi. the dunlops like it on the firmer pressure
What pressure do you recommend running on the stock tires?

Old 01-04-2014, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
If you live up north, you'll see your gas mileage vary depending on the season. You can see how mine drops off every winter (south central Pennsylvania). As each winter has gotten colder since I purchased the 2011, the MPG goes down a little more each winter (3rd now). It could be the cold, gasoline blends, leaving the car warm up for longer periods of time, etc. We are over the hump and the days are getting longer.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:23 PM
Spike55_BMW has a good point you will always see a drop in cold weather with mpg. The car fast idles higher because it takes longer for the coolant to heat up which in turn drops idle which uses less gas. Also, warming car up makes a big difference as well. One morning I went from 35 to 33 just warming car up. Honda's idle are largely dependent on coolant temp. The colder it is the longer it will fast idle. My Fit gets about 44 on the highway. Keeping in speed limit my net you a few mpg but the roof rack will hurt no doubt. Try this when getting on highway reset mpg and see what you get before you drive off highway. Also, I noticed when in cruise control if the road has any incline it will affect your mileage just watch the bar that goes up and down showing real time mpg it will edge down and when going slightly down a decline that bar will go up to close to 60mpg because to keep same speed the throttle is eased up by computer. Also, headwinds make a difference as well. My 2012 Civic I traded for my 2013 Fit now with 2300 miles itself get close to 50mpg on highway. The Fit is very fuel efficient, maybe the most besides hybrids. My mother's Elantra is low 20mpg and when I reset mpg the highway was low 30's with the same driving style I use in my Fit. Don't sweet it enjoy your GREAT car!

Old 01-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Our average with both Fits is around 34mpg and I tend to be a bit on the aggressive side compared to my wife's driving. Running reg. fuel.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Administrator
Try to keep it at a maximum of 70mph on the highway, I noticed that is the ideal speed to maximize your highway MPG when the road surface is flat

All things being even, your driving habits are the best way to increase MPG.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
It took a few years for my mileage to settle in at a sweet spot. 42 MPG city in the summer and 30 MPG city in the winter. I keep the tires at 40 PSI, which is higher than Honda specifies. I have to use studded tires half the year.

Accessories are a drain. Fortunately I can live just fine without A/C or headlights in the summer, both of which impact fuel economy.

Use the instant fuel economy gauge (the floating bar graph) to get an idea of how hard to push it. Try to keep the bars hovering dead center.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member
I have done the same sort of gas mileage analysis on my 14 yr old V8 pickup truck (4,000 lbs GVW) and one can see that MPG becomes more consistent as vehicle weight increases. Approx. 82% of my MPG results fall within the spread of 3 MPG (15 to 18 MPG with 680 data points) but approx. 82% of the FIT's (AT Sport is approx. 2,700 lbs GVW) results are spread over 6 MPG (29 to 36 MPG with 175 data points).

One could draw the same conclusions based on engine displacement as one can on GVW and that is as cubic inches / cc / number of cylinders increases, so does the consistency in the MPG results for vehicles driven by the general public for general purposes (non-racing, etc).

So, unless a vehicle is being driven in a laboratory setting (consistent temperature, pressure, road grade, type of gasoline, etc) by robots, FIT owners should experience a wide range of MPG results and that is perfectly normal and no one should really get their undies in a twist if they don't see the "exact" same result as another owner.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Your real world avg. MPG is only relevant to you. Folks above motioned all great points. Personally I avg. ~31ish MPG but have done a couple of soft core (can’t beat some of you hard core guys) hyper mile exercises and can indeed avg. low 40s HWY (less than 60MPH) consistently. Would I want to dive like that? –NO.

What previous car did you have and how did you do compared to the car’s listed avg.? Not every car fits every situation and every car has a trade off.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 PM
I live in New England and have a 2013 FIT Sport Manual Transmission. When I first got the car I noticed a big fluctuation in my gas mileage - started off around 28mpg avg. and by babying it was able to take it up to 37mpg every now and then. I noticed within the first 5-10k there was a lot of variation, so unless you've got some other engine issues, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Now, don't get too hung up on those numbers; those with the best mileage tend to have manual transmissions and in some cases figures others report are carefully finessed numbers. Me, for example, I made sure to leverage neutral in situations that benefited it and kept it between 65-67mph on the highway. Winter is always at time where my mpg takes a hit and I've noticed that atmospheric conditions has a lot to do with how my mpg performs.

I think 26 might definitely be on the lower end for the Fit - my first winter I definitely hit 26.9 due to a majority of my local gas stations switching to gas with additives to prevent moisture from the snow/colder weather. Honda engines are pretty sensitive to that type of gas.

This summer I was concerned about my gas mileage where I wasn't breaking 31mpg having ~30k on the clock - I also had a roof rack system and couldn't fathom it having anything to do with it....yeah, I was pretty wrong with regards to that. As soon as I took the roof racks off, I got a 3-4 mpg boost. Go figure.

I'll be honest: a lot of people on this forum report some crazy numbers and I don't think that they're lying. Some are luckier than others, many others live in locations that have an environment that is most conducive to better gas mileage (down south, lower humidity, limited hills, etc). I would say where you're at in CA, you've probably got a lot of stop and go that is probably also something else to consider on top of your roof rack eating up your mpg - maybe even a hill or two.

Give it good gas - if you have any places selling ethanol free gas (or lower ratios) that will be a good thing for your engine as well.

Also, I've noticed a shorter lifespan on my air filter. I change that every 7-12k and noticed it keeps the engine smooth and at a top mpg.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
clean air filters won't help mpg or engine smoothness. They actually don't filter as well as a dirty one. Save your money and leave it in there (unless you drive dirt roads all the time following someone...) for the recommended interval (around 30K miles).

Old 01-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Driving style more than anything else has the largest impact on fuel consumption on these cars. There's some threads in the Eco forum with some good tips on how to maximize without hyper-miling.

In traffic, leave space and idle (rolling not stopped) avoid stopping, etc, etc. Pay attention to the instant MPG meter until you get a hang of the dos and donts, and then it will come naturally. I had to learn myself and to this day get excellent mileage even in an urban setting. I don't hypermile.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:51 PM
I avg 34mpg from LA to SF(FWY), and 30/31mpg (Daily).