2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Retrofit w/ halo drl

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
HID Retrofit w/ halo drl

So I've decided to do a HID retrofit on my vehicle. One thing though is that I like to have daytime running lights. However with many HID kits the DRL will switch on the HID's which is not something I want to happen. I was planning on ordering some LED halos with my retrofit kit and installing those. However they are simple 2 wire lights, and I am unsure as to how I would make the car only run the LED's and not the HID's. I dont mind splicing some wires here and there, but I would hope to avoid having to tear a whole bunch out to make it happen. Any thoughts?

Old 01-09-2014, 04:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DA K Cudder
So I've decided to do a HID retrofit on my vehicle. One thing though is that I like to have daytime running lights. However with many HID kits the DRL will switch on the HID's which is not something I want to happen. I was planning on ordering some LED halos with my retrofit kit and installing those. However they are simple 2 wire lights, and I am unsure as to how I would make the car only run the LED's and not the HID's. I dont mind splicing some wires here and there, but I would hope to avoid having to tear a whole bunch out to make it happen. Any thoughts?

You're basically describing my setup. I've got the LEDs on a separate relay harness which runs directly off the battery and is triggered by the ignition switch. Make sure you have appropriate resistors for the LEDs so they don't fry up.

Also make sure you pull the DRL fuse (15) or your ballasts will die a horrible, premature death.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by connor55
You're basically describing my setup. I've got the LEDs on a separate relay harness which runs directly off the battery and is triggered by the ignition switch. Make sure you have appropriate resistors for the LEDs so they don't fry up.

Also make sure you pull the DRL fuse (15) or your ballasts will die a horrible, premature death.

Do you remember what you used? I am not great with resistors and relays sizing works. I can figure out the wiring, that not a problem, but sizing up what I need is something that I haven't done before.

I was planning to Order the Halos from TRS, but at $50 its a bit pricey. So I am going to order these from amazon since I have Amazon Prime. The only review doesn't mention quality and how long they will last. What do ya think?

Amico 110mm White 36 SMD LEDs Angel Eyes Ring Car Headlight Light : Amazon.com : Automotive Amico 110mm White 36 SMD LEDs Angel Eyes Ring Car Headlight Light : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 01-21-2014, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry for the slow reply.

I used the xbaled 100mm rings from TRS and they included the resistors, so I didn't have to think about it at all.

Yeah they are pricey but probably a lot brighter than the cheaper options, definitely brighter than ccfl and also have a solid ring unlike some cheap LEDs that have a dotted ring. Unless that's the look you specifically want.