Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Look here to see why HID kits are HORRIBLE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
Look here to see why HID kits are HORRIBLE!

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2491845

awesome thread showing why PnP HID kits should not be used.

great pictures and videos showing the differences between a standard halogen lighting setup and a PnP HID kit

Old 02-19-2009, 04:06 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, most of us know about the whole glare thing. But my logic behind it is that a lot of cars used to come with HID's and no projectors and nobody ever complained about them (Prius, Lexus, G35). Of course they're also not blinding everybody on the road either.

I have the Bi-Xenons with the shielding and honestly there doesn't seem to be too much glare, or if any at all. I can still see the cutoff, although obviously it's not as crisp as a projector cutoff. On top of that I aimed my headlights low, maybe too low. Might have to raise them back up a notch or two.

I'll get some pics tomorrow night with my lights against a wall to see whether I'm right or wrong. I think every Fit owner with HID's should take pictures of their lights to see who needs adjusting and who needs to just take them off.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Yeah, most of us know about the whole glare thing. But my logic behind it is that a lot of cars used to come with HID's and no projectors and nobody ever complained about them (Prius, Lexus, G35). Of course they're also not blinding everybody on the road either.

I have the Bi-Xenons with the shielding and honestly there doesn't seem to be too much glare, or if any at all. I can still see the cutoff, although obviously it's not as crisp as a projector cutoff. On top of that I aimed my headlights low, maybe too low. Might have to raise them back up a notch or two.

I'll get some pics tomorrow night with my lights against a wall to see whether I'm right or wrong. I think every Fit owner with HID's should take pictures of their lights to see who needs adjusting and who needs to just take them off.
i think unless you have projectors, you should take them off. the video of the car driving down the street with one HID and one standard bulb is comical. the hid is TOTALLY blinding/glaring compared to the standard bulb. and the fact that the HID doesnt have better lighting

Old 02-19-2009, 04:29 AM
well its their car so if they dont care about the glare and what not then they just run it. i'm running pnp hid with no reto fit i dont really care. i would retro but i'm not in the mood at the moment to take apart my head lights.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by enjoito
well its their car so if they dont care about the glare and what not then they just run it. i'm running pnp hid with no reto fit i dont really care. i would retro but i'm not in the mood at the moment to take apart my head lights.
When it comes to headlights its not just about live and let live. Its about safety and legality. If the glare blinds or distracts other drivers it is a real safety concern. Believe me, I am all for people making their cars the way they want them, but it shouldn't be a hindrance to other people driving at night.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Those cars have headlight housings that are designed to handle HID's.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
I work at night and am on the road alot and its real sucks when your on the freeway and a car coming the other way is binding you with there stupid PnP Kit. I use to not realy care that much about them but now more and more cars are running them and im probable blinded at least 2 times a night, I have even called the Police on a few occasions

There are some OEM cars that run HIDs with no Projectors but thats because there light housing was designed specifically for the light, that doesn't mean because they can do it I can do it in my car to.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member

the prius is probably the worste car on the road with factory HIDs, the glare is bad.

the lexus, infinis, toyota (avalon), etc that have factory HIDs with reflectors, have specially designed housings that reduce glare and provide a cuoff line (although not as sharp as projectors)

ALL reflector housings with HIDs have glare...even if designed for HIds. halogen reflector housings that have HIDs are the worst though.

whatever this shielding is that you have, isnt really doing much. its still blinding people. best way to tell if your blinding peoples vision is to drivae along a dark road...preferably what has walls/fences along it and look at your headlight beam. if there is ANY shadowing or light above your window line...you are blinding people. people that saythere is none dont knwo what they are lookign for.
by the time you adjust your headlights down enough to ot have any light above your window line, they will be pointing down and will be on the ground about 15' in front of the car.

whoever read through my rant...thanks. hope you learned something.

best advice i can give...get a retrofit. its well worth it and you can get a MUCH better spectrum of colors at your cutoff if done corectly.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:37 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cojaro
Those cars have headlight housings that are designed to handle HID's.
so does the fit if you have a jdm front end.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
i get blinded by PnP kits too. then there are cars that come stock with it too. the police used to pull some of my friends with these kits, but these kits are everywhere and come stock on a lot of cars now that we don't even get hassled for it anymore

Old 02-19-2009, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
i never seen pics of the hid headlights for the fit. do they have projectors or do they look like the non-hid headlights?

Old 02-19-2009, 11:57 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
they look like non hid headlights. the reflective pattern is different tho.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
a headlight is either designed for HID or halogen....not both.
the JDM headlights are halogen
look here
eBay Motors: JDM 02 Honda Fit Jazz GD1 GD3 Black Housing Headlights (item 250376388331 end time Mar-21-09 03:17:03 PDT)
specifically this picture..you can even see a halogen bulb in the housing.

not to mention it will be even worse to have JDM headlight since in JDM land they drive on the opposite side of the road...which means that the beam pattern will constantly be blinding oncoming people to your left.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:10 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
a headlight is either designed for HID or halogen....not both.
the JDM headlights are halogen
look here
eBay Motors: JDM 02 Honda Fit Jazz GD1 GD3 Black Housing Headlights (item 250376388331 end time Mar-21-09 03:17:03 PDT)
specifically this picture..you can even see a halogen bulb in the housing.

not to mention it will be even worse to have JDM headlight since in JDM land they drive on the opposite side of the road...which means that the beam pattern will constantly be blinding oncoming people to your left.
i think you misunderstood me. on the 07 1.5s, it was a factory option to have HID headlights. they had no projector. those headlights pictured are for the halogens. the HID headlights are body color. the non hid are a dark flat grey. also, with the rhd issue, you are right, the left hand side sits higher up but i fixed that with a washer in the top mounting bolt.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:11 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
also the headlights pictured are for a first generation fit before the minor model change when the HID option was not available.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
also the headlights pictured are for a first generation fit before the minor model change when the HID option was not available.
ahh. sorry. i didnt know what the fits options or mid-model change in japan was.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
the RHD headlights are still designed to point more to the left, tho. no matter how many washers you use.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI

whatever this shielding is that you have, isnt really doing much. its still blinding people. best way to tell if your blinding peoples vision is to drivae along a dark road...preferably what has walls/fences along it and look at your headlight beam. if there is ANY shadowing or light above your window line...you are blinding people. .

It's funny that you mention the window line because my Fit (and I'm sure a lot of GD3's) came stock with it's right headlight shining way above the window line. When I would drive by canyons or somewhere with a wall to my right I could clearly see that the lights were aimed too high. So from the get go our cars are already came misaligned.

I wish an aftermarket company would have made projector headlights for the Fit cuz I'd probably get them. If retrofitting wasn't so much work or didn't cost so much for somebody to do them then I'd probably get that done too.

Last edited by Super Mario; 02-19-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
my headlights damn near point at the ground. i only get light about 25 feet in front of my car

Old 02-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by solbrothers
my headlights damn near point at the ground. i only get light about 25 feet in front of my car
why don't u aim them properly

hid pnp CAN and DO light the the road better than halogens...... glare notwithstanding

hids r like strategic nukes,, if u don't care about collateral damage they
r THE best for ensuring that the objective is achieved ....much much better than smart bombs

Quick Reply: Look here to see why HID kits are HORRIBLE!