Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Look here to see why HID kits are HORRIBLE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
good point bro, i have a plug and play bixenon kit with the shields and hid fogs with them aimed as far out that i can see and no one has ever flashed me, they work great and im so glad i converted, its way better than stock and sure id love to convert to projecters but its so much money just for some lights, plus i cant send out my headlights bec i need headlights to see at night, but ya i dont think plug and play kit are not nearly as bed as people say they are, but hey people will b people and always be haters

Originally Posted by accordguyintake
yeah sorry if my posts make no sense.. haha, i guess i was tinking about this stuff alot last night and just wanted to add some input to the thread about projectors

edit*
thats the other thing i forgot to mention, a car with reflector type HIDs and a 93' civic with a PNP kit passed by at the same instance as the others... honestly they didnt have that same "blinding" kind of trait that the projection type hids have. which is once again, because the light is so strong on projection beam headlights.

so to review my thoughts, PNP kits indeed create more general glare, BUT under certain applications, they give quite decent aim. the blinding "flashglare" given off from projector style lights are pretty bad especially with hids installed... i already noticed this trait even in the halogen-based camry stock projectors.

just saying guys.. projector lights are a great improvement, but it doesnt mean you should hate on all pnps, if my beams shot straight up the ceiling and lit the road worse than holding a flashlight to the road... that is one thing, but there is nothing wrong with a cutoff even sharper than stock, minimal glare problems, and a nice increase in road lighting. our headlights look glary to begin with because of its large size.. cars like the 98'-2002 accords with smaller sized headlights look just fine with the added brightness. Don't get the impression all pnp's are horrible... there are many out there, but i strongly believe the fit headlights are just fine with them

Old 09-24-2009, 09:10 AM
CTR
I agree that some H4 HID kits produce a lot of glare particularly the earlier ones. However there are some that produce no more glare than standard H4 filament bulbs. Its important to understand why this is. I'm going to discuss bi-xenon bulbs here as the hi/lo (HID low/Halogen high) kits are useless in my opinion.

As we all know the H4 bulb works by directing light onto certain parts of the reflector housing to achieve the low beam cut-off line and the kick up splay pattern for safety reasons. However due the nature of reflector housings and light refraction the pattern is never perfect unlike projector headlights.

If we take a look at a standard halogen bulb, for low light (dipped beam) the light is directed upwards utilising certain parts of the reflector housing with no light directed downwards on other parts of the reflector housing. This along with the position of the hi and low beam filaments is very important in preventing glare.

Glare on the H4 bulb is mainly caused when these two points cannot be achieved. I.e. accurate positioning of the xenon capsule (needs to be very accurate) and the shielding of the light for dipped/low beam.

I have worked with a lot of HID kits in the past and in particular the H4 type and I have noticed that quality control was almost non-existent in many of these kits. However they have steadily improved over the years.

There are some H4 bixenon bulbs that produce a pattern that is about 95% the same as that of a standard H4 halogen bulb with hardly any glare whatsoever but for most people, they are unlikely to tell which ones these are.

The key is to scrutinise the bixenon bulb against that of a standard H4 halogen bulb precisely. Compare the exact position of the filaments/capsule in both low and high beam positions and also to check that the shield in the low beam position is actually preventing all the light from getting through to the high beam reflectors.

Although it is pretty much impossible to prevent all light being directly downwards onto the high beam reflectors, it is possible to minimise this such that glare is not such an issue. On some newer bi-xenon H4 bulbs there are 2 shields, an outer shield and a smaller one inside that moves with the xenon capsule tube. The outer shield will have a small slot for high beam light, however in the low beam position you should not be able to see any part of the capsule at all. If you can, you are most certainly going to get glare.

Now, if you can't see the capsule, it does not mean that you won't get glare as light can still be reflected back down by the inner shield as well as the glass tube, headlamp housing etc. To minimise this, some manufactures have painted the inner shield matt black which does help with this.

Not sure if this makes sense, but just offering my experience on this, hope it helps.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:48 AM
Exclamation

Wow I've been in this forum for like 2 weeks and I'm already sick of every thread having the same 4 ppl flaming pnp kits. Even though it's quite clear they are just fine considering I haven't been flashed or pulled over. We get you don't like em. But were not changing them because we like them, paid for them, and don't care what a forum full of a**holes, who self-righteous because they retrofit projectors, thinks! GET OVER IT! :/

Last edited by smithbrother88; 04-16-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smithbrother88
Wow I've been in this forum for like 2 weeks and I'm already sick of every thread having the same 4 ppl flaming pnp kits. Even though it's quite clear they are just fine considering I haven't been flashed or pulled over. We get you don't like em. But were not changing them because we like them, paid for them, and don't care what a forum full of a**holes, who self-righteous because they retrofit projectors, thinks! GET OVER IT! :/
hell ya man. good to see theres some good ones still out there. this forum is pretty much a lost cause. the ge8 guys took over and a lot of the gd3 guys are never on here anymore or they sold their fit. i dont care what anyone says ive never had a problem with my pnp kit and have them with all my cars. they work great and everything. its just funny that pretty much every guy on here that has a retrofitted kit had a pnp kit on their fits before and got rid of them when they had 2000 bux to waste on a retrofit. either way they are all hypocrites and dont let it get to u because they will never change

Old 04-23-2012, 01:51 PM
they're banning PnP kits locally, if a cop sees you have them you'll get a "fix it" ticket and have a week to remove them. If you don't it's a $300 fine and they'll impound your car.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 PM
GE owner here. Have an 8000k pnp kit and 3000k fogs. I'm with you guys and think retros are ricer gayness. long live clean stock awesome stance cars that drag the ground ever 1000 ft. Or so ha

Old 04-26-2012, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sfar785
they're banning PnP kits locally, if a cop sees you have them you'll get a "fix it" ticket and have a week to remove them. If you don't it's a $300 fine and they'll impound your car.
ya ill wait til that day comes and hell freezes over. ill live on the wild side and take the risk because theres a bunch of other illegal stuff people have on there fit that no one ever makes a big deal about but if its a pnp kit, u better get ready for a bashing. its really sad guys. i dont know y everyone makes a big deal about it. like i said before this is y im never on here anymore.

Originally Posted by Workin.on.my.fitness
GE owner here. Have an 8000k pnp kit and 3000k fogs. I'm with you guys and think retros are ricer gayness. long live clean stock awesome stance cars that drag the ground ever 1000 ft. Or so ha
yep im with u man. pnp all the way. im glad theres at least one ge owner that isnt bashing pnp kits. more power to u man

Old 04-26-2012, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xonexlifex;
its just funny that pretty much every guy on here that has a retrofitted kit had a pnp kit on their fits before and got rid of them when they had 2000 bux to waste on a retrofit. either way they are all hypocrites and dont let it get to u because they will never change
Never had a PnP. Went straight to retro. Total cost was about $275 and worth every penny.

Originally Posted by Workin.on.my.fitness
Lol Retros = ricer gayness, Says the guy with 8000k hid's...

Old 04-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by xonexlifex
ya ill wait til that day comes and hell freezes over. ill live on the wild side and take the risk because theres a bunch of other illegal stuff people have on there fit that no one ever makes a big deal about but if its a pnp kit, u better get ready for a bashing. its really sad guys. i dont know y everyone makes a big deal about it. like i said before this is y im never on here anymore.
i'm gonna get a PnP kit anyway, i still see older Civics with them all the time and they don't seem to be getting bothered with it, the cops don't really think twice when they see a newer car with HID's just because they're too stupid to know what new cars are coming out with HID's anymore.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sfar785
i'm gonna get a PnP kit anyway, i still see older Civics with them all the time and they don't seem to be getting bothered with it, the cops don't really think twice when they see a newer car with HID's just because they're too stupid to know what new cars are coming out with HID's anymore.
I'll just send every police department in state of OK a list of cars made from 1980-2012 of which cars came with HIDs and which ones didn't just so all you Oklahoma pnp hid runners get caught and harassed/fined.

Don't PNP because others are doing it your area. Just say NO to PNP.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:07 PM
but it's the cool thing to do