Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Look here to see why HID kits are HORRIBLE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm not going to start a childish argument by getting angry with you bud. I am in the right lane, my father taught me many years ago: Drive right except to pass. I am not a lane hog, never have been, never will be. I have been pursued into the right lane by self-righteous turds who feel my high-beams must have been on when i passed them. Anyone with a passing knowledge of how the foglights work in a modern car knows that you can't run high-beams and fogs at the same time. (Unless you do the ground mod which I have not) And I don't think tailgating is the right solution to "pylons" in any case, this is how aggressive driving incidents happen people. Getting to work should not cost you your life, period. Thanks for the kind words Immortal, you're a heck of a guy!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
I put the pnp HID kit where it was most likely to do some good without doing too much harm, in the fogs. I have no need for a second kit for the headlights as the fogs did what I was hoping for, increased the amount of useful light on the road at night. The fine, responsible, mature folks who find the glare bothersome are probably the same fine upstanding people who feel the need to tailgate me and blind me with their high-beams in my rearview mirror. And to them I say "go **** yourself" I mean, I sure am sorry and I'll rush right out to the garage to remove my annoying HIDs.
fog lights glare more than low beams.
for example..i have a fx45 retrofit and 3k yellow halogen bulbs in my fogs. with my fogs off/low beams on...i have a nice sharp cutoff. when i put my fogs on/lowbeams on, there is yellow light leaking all over the place above (about 3' above) the low beam projector cutoff line. and before anyone says it...my fog lights are aimed correclty and i have a "cutoff line" about 6" off the ground...its just that the fog light housing isnt designed great and even halogen bulbs leaks alot of light all over the place.
this is MUCH more worse when fog HIDs are installed.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
agreed, installing HID in fogs is worse than in regular projectors. At least the projectors are designed and aimed to point down somewhat, fogs are low and aim horizontally if not slightly upward. The reason why grtpumpkin experienced people tailgating him & flashing is exactly why aftermarkets HIDs should not be installed. In all my years of driving (10+ years), I've NEVER had people flash or tailgate me with their high beams, this is a clear indication something isn't right. (I've never had HID and misaligned headlights).

Honda has always been good in designing their halogen headlights and put a lot more light on the road than other manufacturers, so getting HID is not worth it.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:12 PM
HIDs are The S%!#. I cant drive a car without HIDS anymore. If I blind someone with my lights...im sorry, but HIDs make any car look better, cleaner, and nice.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:03 PM
I never really gave much thought to how well designed the fog housings were to be honest. I think maybe I would be better off replacing the OE housing with an aftermarket projector in the factory location. What I like about the HID in the fogs is that it broadens the light pattern quite a bit over halogens and covers the shoulders of the road much more effectively. My drive in covers about twenty five miles of deer infested two lane roads and about fifty miles of four lane divided highway so the extra light is something I consider a necessity. It would be nice to have folks quit trying to run me off the road though....

Old 02-23-2009, 11:01 PM
MY HID

Old 02-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit317
HIDs are The S%!#. I cant drive a car without HIDS anymore. If I blind someone with my lights...im sorry, but HIDs make any car look better, cleaner, and nice.
You should be sorry; if you knowingly cause other drivers not only inconvenience, but possibly risk other peoples safety for such a stupid reason. I really don't intend to be mean or anything, but seriously nothing that trivial is worth risking getting somebody injured of losing their life over.

A lot of times things that are functional stay in style while things that "make your car look better' are usually just trendy fads that pass. Good examples are the Altezza tail lights, the spinning rims (and then the spinning hubcaps that followed), the giant spoilers, the wal-mart LED sprayers, billions of stickers, cut springs.... and the list goes on.

HID's are going to end up being in that category, unless it is a nice car with factory HID's (which is obvious when you see them oncoming and they don't blind you) that "cool look" is usually the first indication a rust covered bumbling ride with peeling purple tint is about to go by.

I would encourage anybody who wants their car too be "clean & professional looking"... to not be that guy. These are so many ways to give your car a nice look, blue HID lights is just ghetto these days.

Just my 0.02

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 02-23-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member

not every halogen headlight is bad for HIDs nor every projector is good for them. First one is an Accord and in real life it show even less glare and the second one is a Tribeca that comes stock w/ projectors. Think twice now. I agree that not all cars support HIDs but there are some that do and if they improve your visibility at night I'd buy them.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
^^ I agree. I get blinded more by Beemers and Mercedes with projectors than I ever do non-projected HID cars.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
depends on the headlight alignment. if a car has stuff in the trunk, its headlights will be pointed up therefore blinding you

Old 03-15-2009, 03:18 AM
so u rather have me cant see the road at night because you dont want me to have HIDS...so u want me to blind at night and accidently hit something?
or would prefer me to have HIDS at night so i can see better and i wont hit anything =)

Old 03-15-2009, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
depends on the headlight alignment. if a car has stuff in the trunk, its headlights will be pointed up therefore blinding you
that Tribeca had nothing else than the owner driving it and I doubt she changed the alignment. I'm not trying to start an argument with you but you need to star seeing ahead of your nose, how can a bimmer or a mercedes could have something in the trunk that heavy that can make the car blind you?! Those aren't trucks that if you put a stack of pallets they dump the back, those are cars and even if they have people in the back they never will do the car to dump enough to blind upcoming traffic...

so u rather have me cant see the road at night because you dont want me to have HIDS...so u want me to blind at night and accidently hit something?
or would prefer me to have HIDS at night so i can see better and i wont hit anything =)
newer cars that come stock with halogen headlights have a ''cutoff'' as my moms CR-V did ('06 SE model). I say you should try your HIDs in you car and if they keep the cutoff (with a little bit of glare) and improve your visibility at night, go ahead, keep 'em. But thats me.

As I said, I know not every car out there is capable of use HIDs but why not use them in a car that can show even less glare than a car than came stock with projectors?

Old 03-15-2009, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
I believe most OEM HID lights have auto leveling feature, so they compenstate for when the car tilts up because of loads. And aftermarket installs don't have this, one of the major reasons why aftermarket HIDs are illegal in the U.S.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:47 PM
My problems went away after I lowered my Fit, it seems the nearly two inches of reduction in front ride height was enough to fix my bad aiming job. And I can still see down the road fine at night!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I have HID on my RR, and it makes all the difference on a motorcycle. The high beam is pretty useless. Visibiliy is key on a black motorcycle, Bright lights and Loud Pipes save lives. In my accord I have aftermarket projectors with 6000K HIDs in low beam, and they have a stepped cutoff line.

For aftermarket projectors with HIDs in them, the cutoff is flat, and then steps up to the right side(you can see it better in the pic at the bank than taco bell drive through). I also had OEM black housings on my 00 accord with 6000k HID and it had a couple odd hotspots, but they were aimed properly, and put a lot more light on the road. On my cars and my bike, I don't even need the high beams other than if I want a TON of light on the road. Only the bike gets me flashed. I haven't messed with the fit's lights tho, I don't like the idea of a "moving motorized headlight capsule." Somethin about it just SCREAMS faulty. On my CBR600RR the cutoff and light pattern are identical to OEM halogens, totally flat cutoff line, it looks great and works even better. Aftermarket kits are really hit or miss on quality. I have been very lucky at having a pretty decent setup on my rides, no glare above cutoff. I have even set cruise with CHP's and they don't even look twice with the projectors.

My pet peeve, Lifted trucks with HID heads and fogs. Not only are they not aimed and light patterns are usually tweaked, they are right in my rear view and side mirrors.

As for the fit I am probably gonna do some Krypton Showoff bulbs for high/low beams in purple or Osram nightbreakers and then fogs will be nokya arctic yellow. I have used Both Showoff and Nokia in the past and they are bright, reliable, and if i blow one out I don't have to do an underhood re-wiring to get the bulbs back in. It's one thing to have a bulb burn out on car like the accord with seperate high/low beams, its another thing to lose your high and low because your bulb nukes or fails.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
trust me...u can't put HID in JDM headlight....u'll kill everyone !!

Old 03-20-2009, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
some JDM headlights are prepared for HIDs, color keyed ones.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
And too add to the glare talk. Fits with flat black headlight housings have probably 50% less glare than Fits with OEM colored headlights.
The OEM colored headlights are glossy causing reflections and excess glare.

That is absolutely wrong, unless you've blackhoused the reflector bowl, there is no way the housing will cut down on glare. You may have made a poor cheap decision on your headlights by going plug n play, but don't promote the idiocy...

Old 04-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Put 2 Fits side by side, one with OEM colored headlights and one with FLAT headlights... and the same plug and play HID kit.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
Put 2 Fits side by side, one with OEM colored headlights and one with FLAT headlights... and the same plug and play HID kit.
Again, unless you've done something incorrectly or painted teh reflector bowl your information is incorrect.

Quick Reply: Look here to see why HID kits are HORRIBLE!