Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Look here to see why HID kits are HORRIBLE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
This is the main reason why I've resisted the lure of HID headlamps. I'd much rather have a car that has them stock. No headaches and no glare for oncoming drivers.

If I could find HID headlamps specifically for the Jazz/Fit, then that's great, but otherwise, no go. That's what my friend did for his FD1 Civic - he fished out LHD FD2 Civic HID headlamp assemblies and fit them to his car. No glare!

Local retrofitters who use RX300 or TSX projectors are getting better and better at reducing glare, though.

Last edited by Type 100; 02-19-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by solbrothers
i think unless you have projectors, you should take them off. the video of the car driving down the street with one HID and one standard bulb is comical. the hid is TOTALLY blinding/glaring compared to the standard bulb. and the fact that the HID doesnt have better lighting

Wait.... Arent you the one that added a blinding rear fog to annoy people?
Ohh, and drive 50mph on freeways.

So why dont you have HID headlights and foglights?

It would add to what you have planned anytime you drive your car.
Annoyance.

And too add to the glare talk. Fits with flat black headlight housings have probably 50% less glare than Fits with OEM colored headlights.
The OEM colored headlights are glossy causing reflections and excess glare.
Ive never been high beamed and my car actually has a beam pattern/cutoff.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
Wait.... Arent you the one that added a blinding rear fog to annoy people?
I was about to say that haha.

Ive never been flashed either.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Also the type of kit you have determines the output. I had some cheap brand on my Vw when I got it.
Some silly 8000k kit. Crazy glare, ugliest beam pattern. Ripped it out and went to halogens.

Ive always used HIDWorld's kits. My moms tC had a kit (all tC's Ive seen are GLARE) hers was perfect. Had glare but nothing like others Ive seen.
A few friends cars have HIDW kits also. No complaints or as much glare as some.

No matter what with a reflective housing designed for halogens glare is always going to be there. There are ways of prevent it.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 PM
the only way to go for HID on a Fit is the retrofit services offered here.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by solbrothers
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2491845

awesome thread showing why PnP HID kits should not be used.

great pictures and videos showing the differences between a standard halogen lighting setup and a PnP HID kit
Thanks for the thread, Matt.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I have to agree, I am big on functionality when it comes to things and HID's really miss the mark. They do tend to be too narrow and get into the eyes of other drivers even when they are aimed correctly.

The first thing I look for when a car with HID's goes by is the ghetto walmart hub-caps to go along with it. It just fits the stereotype these days.

The only mod I have done to my car for lighting is change out the fogs to yellow ones... mainly because yellow fogs give you much better depth perception. They are aimed correctly and make a big difference during snow or foggy conditions.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
i personally have never been flashed and pulled over by cops for having a pnp HID kit. for me, my kit doesnt have that much glare as shown in the video. its kinda wierd, but i get blinded by halogens sometimes, probably because of my car being lowered or maybe my glasses.

good video though.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
most of the Pnp kits that i see are noticably brighter than halogen bulbs, but they arent necessarily blinding. I only get blinded once in a while by them. And yeah, stock cars with rear fog lamps like Audis/Mercedes i find is WAYYY more annoying cuz people think you're braking (Well those euro cars the lamp is IN the taillight) and also it keeps your eye fixated on that one thing, which is extremely dangerous to other drivers.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
This is going to be a loooooong thread lol

Old 02-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Question Are the hyperwhite bulbs ok then?

I got these from theljnet on this site.

I've had them about 3 weeks. Now I'm worried if I'm blinding people I need to take these off my Fit.

Anyone know?

Old 02-20-2009, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TheImmortal
why don't u aim them properly

hid pnp CAN and DO light the the road better than halogens...... glare notwithstanding

hids r like strategic nukes,, if u don't care about collateral damage they
r THE best for ensuring that the objective is achieved ....much much better than smart bombs
thats where you are wrong. in the article, it proves that a standard halogen bulb is better in a halogen housing. it shows that a pnp hid kit performs worse than a halogen bulb

Old 02-20-2009, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Thanks for the thread, Matt.
no problem dave

Old 02-20-2009, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jrlnc
I got these from theljnet on this site.

I've had them about 3 weeks. Now I'm worried if I'm blinding people I need to take these off my Fit.

Anyone know?
you should be fine with halogen bulbs.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
I tried HID's in the Fit and run them in my truck...but they looked horrible in the FIT IMO. So I went back to halogens.
Much better I think. Good info BTW Matt.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Crawly
I tried HID's in the Fit and run them in my truck...but they looked horrible in the FIT IMO. So I went back to halogens.
Much better I think. Good info BTW Matt.
no problem dude

Old 02-20-2009, 12:17 PM
In the words of Forrest Gump, HID kits are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. Some halogen housing/HID kit combos are horrible and others not so much. Even with a specific vehicle, different kits (even the same make/model of kit) may provide varying performance.

In ANY lighting system, light source placement within the assembly is critical. If the light source is a different shape or orientation or especially if it's in a slightly different spot, the resulting light pattern will be unpredictable. Add to this a system that moves the bulb around and you get more variation. Some reflector/lens systems will be more tolerant of variations than others. It seems the Fit headlights seem to be better than most at retaining a near-stock pattern.

That said, more bulb lumens = more glare. The horizontal cutoff is not a perfect cutoff and does allow some light above horizontal. More light coming from the bulb will mean more light above the cutoff, even IF the halogen illumination pattern can be maintaned.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:17 PM
I put the pnp HID kit where it was most likely to do some good without doing too much harm, in the fogs. I have no need for a second kit for the headlights as the fogs did what I was hoping for, increased the amount of useful light on the road at night. The fine, responsible, mature folks who find the glare bothersome are probably the same fine upstanding people who feel the need to tailgate me and blind me with their high-beams in my rearview mirror. And to them I say "go **** yourself" I mean, I sure am sorry and I'll rush right out to the garage to remove my annoying HIDs.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
I must agree with Ray. With my factory MR headlights I've gotten high beamed a few times but after the flat black I have yet to get highbeamed back. When I pull up to the wall I don't see that much glare as the picture, I'm guessing I don't have those cheap hids then hehe my fogs with hids have a sexy cut off though like really sexy! When I get my car back from the bodyshop I'll take pictures

Old 02-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
I put the pnp HID kit where it was most likely to do some good without doing too much harm, in the fogs. I have no need for a second kit for the headlights as the fogs did what I was hoping for, increased the amount of useful light on the road at night. The fine, responsible, mature folks who find the glare bothersome are probably the same fine upstanding people who feel the need to tailgate me and blind me with their high-beams in my rearview mirror. And to them I say "go **** yourself" I mean, I sure am sorry and I'll rush right out to the garage to remove my annoying HIDs.
if u weren't such a selfish road hog, and stayed in the right lane except to pass like u r supposed to then nobody could tailgate u and flash their high beams
U r the cause of tailgating....think about it...if u were not there, how could somebody tailgate u?
"but somebody is in front of me...." IS NOT an acceptable answer

damn pylons!!

Quick Reply: Look here to see why HID kits are HORRIBLE!