2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can Android phones use USB doggle for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Question How can Android phones use USB doggle for?

If not to access music, can it at least charge the phone when plugged in? It's too bad car companies don't embrace the now #1 sold smart phone devices. Hondas new radios can be updated to use android apps from what i'm hearing.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
yes, it can charge the phone when plugged in. if you have MP3's on the phone as well, you can also access it by putting your android device's usb connection in MASS STORAGE mode.

As unfriendly as Apple is to work with, they have "Set Standards" that make it easier for companies such as Honda and others to work with. The fact that there are so many variations of Android makes it harder for these companies to not only develop but support. With Apple, they support maybe a few versions of 1 single platform. With android, there are literally dozens of "bastardized" versions of android from OEM's such as Samsung, LG, HTC, etc... (even if the core system is Android 3.x or 4.x, these tweaks to the os or applications make it very difficult to support.) One other thing to consider is the rate at which things change. Android has drastic changes to the OS much more often than Apple. Auto Manufacturers are also planning development years in advance. A More Fluid system such as android is much harder to implement than one that is locked down (iOS).

Bluetooth has been getting better and as Car stereos become more "infotainment" systems, we may see actual updates for these systems but I think in reality, they will always lag behind. Imagine if honda had to pay a company like Alpine or some other OEM to constantly keep up with Android? And to have to go to the dealer for updates to your car stereo every time new phones are released.

That said, I am a huge proponent of Android (I have 3 devices running 4.4.2 and one stuck on 3.1) and I would love to see better android integration, but I have my doubts. (obviously)

~SB

Old 04-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
yes, it can charge the phone when plugged in. if you have MP3's on the phone as well, you can also access it by putting your android device's usb connection in MASS STORAGE mode.

As unfriendly as Apple is to work with, they have "Set Standards" that make it easier for companies such as Honda and others to work with. The fact that there are so many variations of Android makes it harder for these companies to not only develop but support. With Apple, they support maybe a few versions of 1 single platform. With android, there are literally dozens of "bastardized" versions of android from OEM's such as Samsung, LG, HTC, etc... (even if the core system is Android 3.x or 4.x, these tweaks to the os or applications make it very difficult to support.) One other thing to consider is the rate at which things change. Android has drastic changes to the OS much more often than Apple. Auto Manufacturers are also planning development years in advance. A More Fluid system such as android is much harder to implement than one that is locked down (iOS).

Bluetooth has been getting better and as Car stereos become more "infotainment" systems, we may see actual updates for these systems but I think in reality, they will always lag behind. Imagine if honda had to pay a company like Alpine or some other OEM to constantly keep up with Android? And to have to go to the dealer for updates to your car stereo every time new phones are released.

That said, I am a huge proponent of Android (I have 3 devices running 4.4.2 and one stuck on 3.1) and I would love to see better android integration, but I have my doubts. (obviously)

~SB
Thank you. Even if HTC uses Sense, Samsung uses Touchwiz, you still have the standard Android apps in the app drawers of those phones. I myself despise stock Android but I totally get your point. My point is if Car companies infotainment systems have Pandora, why have it for only iOS vs. Android. My moms LG Marquee is Android 2.3 which still holds 1/4 the Android market. How ever, Pandora app on her phone looks the same as my pandora app on my Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 so if Honda offered Pandora for Android on her '13 Civic EX-L Navi, it should work because its not the version of Android but the version of Pandora. Just like most iPOD's & iPhone iOS' work with car manufacturers. Honda get awake. More people in '13 use Android devices whether phones or tablets. Thank you for opining SB...

Old 04-27-2014, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
Thank you. Even if HTC uses Sense, Samsung uses Touchwiz, you still have the standard Android apps in the app drawers of those phones. I myself despise stock Android but I totally get your point. My point is if Car companies infotainment systems have Pandora, why have it for only iOS vs. Android. My moms LG Marquee is Android 2.3 which still holds 1/4 the Android market. How ever, Pandora app on her phone looks the same as my pandora app on my Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 so if Honda offered Pandora for Android on her '13 Civic EX-L Navi, it should work because its not the version of Android but the version of Pandora. Just like most iPOD's & iPhone iOS' work with car manufacturers. Honda get awake. More people in '13 use Android devices whether phones or tablets. Thank you for opining SB...
No problem. I thought of another reason why it might be a bit harder for Android vs iPhone. The Connector on the iPhone is a multi use connector and not just straight USB. Granted some of the pins on that connector are used for USB communication but others are used for various other things. Manufacturers (Honda, etc...) can use these other pins to mirror screens, control devices, and so on. I do not believe this is possible through USB. I'm not sure if MHL allows for more control of the device or not but without "drivers" for these devices, it would likely be an uphill battle. Bluetooth however might be able to change the game a little bit. I do know with bluetooth though, I wasn't able to transfer track data from pandora (or from amazon MP3/play music) until I updated to KitKat on either my Moto X or Galaxy Nexus. Both work well now. That would be a challenge for auto manufacturers and anyone running a version of android lower than 4.4.x your mom's Gingerbread phone wouldn't be able to display track info (and might not be able to navigate) pandora like your Sammy even though the interface on the phone may be the same.

I think we need to give it some time as android has really matured as 4.x has progressed. But Realistically, I think Aftermarket car stereos will really be where support for android is shown. I got my JVC because of the Android support. (and because the MP3 navigation on the stock Head unit is horrible)

~SB

Old 04-27-2014, 09:58 PM
For what it's worth, on my 2012 Sport, the iPhone integration is erratic. Usually it works if you start the audio on the phone before you start the engine, but not always. Sometimes it requires a couple of plug/unplug cycles for it to work.

I'm running iOS 7.1.1 and the stock stereo.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:31 PM
android is actuallythe easiest to integrate. MUCH easier then crapple.

the android music player is the same app across the platforms, and if there were any issues, you ould simply hook your android device to internet via data or wifi and get a new updated version.

many car stereo brands now have apps you can download to integrate and control music and bluetooth phone functions. An example is my JVC nav deck. I can do iHeart radio, Pandora, and have full control over phone, music, and video functions. Its pretty pimping to say the least lol

Old 04-28-2014, 04:15 AM
Originally Posted by 13fit
android is actuallythe easiest to integrate. MUCH easier then crapple.

the android music player is the same app across the platforms, and if there were any issues, you ould simply hook your android device to internet via data or wifi and get a new updated version.

many car stereo brands now have apps you can download to integrate and control music and bluetooth phone functions. An example is my JVC nav deck. I can do iHeart radio, Pandora, and have full control over phone, music, and video functions. Its pretty pimping to say the least lol
Okay I know you guyz knock the stock nav. What can my 2013 OEM navi deck do with my Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 Android 4.2.2 is what im asking.