3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Android and the Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 01:21 AM
Android and the Fit

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an EX-L, only thing that's giving me some pause is that I haven't seen much talk about how well the infotainment system works with Android phones, if at all.

Any owners had some experience with them yet?

Old 06-21-2014, 01:57 AM
The bluetooth feature works fine on my Note 3, Pandora plays just fine also. The features we don't get YET are access to the HDMI port for the on screen nav from our phones and whatever other features it allows us.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:03 AM
Ah, well that's not too bad. Thanks for the info. I had read that Honda is planning Android integration by the end of the year. Until then I certainly don't mind using my phone (Galaxy S4) for my navigation.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:36 AM
I also have a Note 3 and all BT functionality works. I bought an MHL adapter and have mirrored my phone to the deck with Google Maps. It works, but you cant listen to music while thats on, so that negated the deal for me.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by A41Billy
I also have a Note 3 and all BT functionality works. I bought an MHL adapter and have mirrored my phone to the deck with Google Maps. It works, but you cant listen to music while thats on, so that negated the deal for me.
Does the HDMI not retrieve audio as well? I imagine it does if you can play movies off of it. So what does it do if you're playing music while running Google Navigation? I don't imagine the Honda has the ability to tell your Android Music app to stop playing. That doesn't seem right.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by theindiearmy
Does the HDMI not retrieve audio as well? I imagine it does if you can play movies off of it. So what does it do if you're playing music while running Google Navigation? I don't imagine the Honda has the ability to tell your Android Music app to stop playing. That doesn't seem right.
The hdmi port will only allow the nav app to work while the car is in gear. When in park it will allow the playing of movies. With the nav app it will just put the music in the background while giving directions and if you use siri for verbal directions the dame thing happens

Old 06-21-2014, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tmfit
The hdmi port will only allow the nav app to work while the car is in gear. When in park it will allow the playing of movies. With the nav app it will just put the music in the background while giving directions and if you use siri for verbal directions the dame thing happens
So then you can play music? It will just give the navigation commands priority when they play, which is how Android works anyway.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:00 PM
I was speaking about the source being used by HDMI. I am sure I could stream music simultaneously while maps is up. I just cant play music off USB drive or radio while using HDMI. First world problems lol.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:01 PM
So then you can play music? It will just give the navigation commands priority when they play, which is how Android works anyway.
That is correct.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm sure someone can hack either the head unit of the app to work around this.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by A41Billy
Explain this to me please. I'm an Android nerd but I dont know much about MHL, and don't know anything about the Fits yet. Trying to learn. The lack of Android support for Hondalink is a major hangup for me. Worried that if I would buy one, they couldnt update my car to be Android friendly.

Anywho- So you can buy an adapter to plug into your phon eand it will mirror the display or app? That works with the current 2015 Fits? Hard to install, or does it work via the USB port I'd assume?

I'd do a happy dance if I could get Google Maps on my display.

I'd buy you a beer if I could get hangouts and movies etc on my display on the current cars with just an adapter.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:03 AM
BMO
Originally Posted by jdhommert
Anywho- So you can buy an adapter to plug into your phon eand it will mirror the display or app? That works with the current 2015 Fits? Hard to install, or does it work via the USB port I'd assume?:
To mirror, you just need a micro-USB to MHL adapter like this: Robot Check

I'm going to investigate this one to see if I can charge at the same time as mirror: Amazon.com: Cable Matters Micro-USB to HDMI MHL Cable in Black 6 Feet (NOT Compatible with Galaxy S3/S4/Note2/Note3): Electronics

I have a MotoX and most listings on amazon are geared towards the Samsung Galaxys, so we'll see how that pans out. I will just have to wait 'til the car comes in to test it out!

Old 06-23-2014, 09:12 AM
BMO
On a similar note: If anyone's feeling particularly adventurous, you could try a Raspberry Pi setup in the glovebox. That way you could run whatever you want on the screen. I might investigate making it into a wifi hotspot, which is total overkill, but would be awesome!

Running Raspberry Pi natively in a Honda Civic? Oh, the possibilities! | TechnologyTell

Old 06-23-2014, 10:09 AM
I don't think the MotoX supports MHL, only Miracast. I have this one..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00904JILO/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_2sdQtb0Q1VJ63P85

Streams straight to the box no WiFi needed.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:16 AM
BMO
Ugh, you are right! Thanks for saving me some money and frustration. There was some conflicting info re: MotoX and MHL from Republic Wireless

I have an (old for tablets) Toshiba Thrive with full-size HDMI out, so will probably just use that (or Raspberry Pi if I get crazy).

Old 06-23-2014, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Galaxy S5 here and everything works fine! Even then text messages get read to me.

Now I had a S4 a couple of days ago and the only thing that didn't work was the text read back feature. Other then that, everything else was flawless.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:28 PM
People are talking about using MHL to mirror the display. But I thought it wouldnt display HDMI or whatever unless the car was in park?

Originally Posted by SUNNYboi
Galaxy S5 here and everything works fine! Even then text messages get read to me.

Now I had a S4 a couple of days ago and the only thing that didn't work was the text read back feature. Other then that, everything else was flawless.
Can you tell me what "everything" is? I'm really trying to figure out as of right now what I can do with my Android phone. It says it is MHL compatible (One M8)

Old 06-23-2014, 07:39 PM
ntx
Yup he is right. I pulled mine off the tv and took it outside to the car. Google maps when parked just the sound when driving.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Gotta find a way to enable HDMI when driving!!!!

Old 06-26-2014, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
I've hoped for the same thing -- to use the display for Google Maps (navigation) while driving in order to need neither my dash-top Garmin (awkward to use in this car) nor the smaller screen on my phone which isn't easy to position well anyway. I've had the same problem with the screen input from HDMI not working when the car is in gear. Even if I could solve that problem, I could never get the sound from HDMI to work because I simultaneously have the phone paired via Bluetooth in order to take calls and such over the built-in system. Android wants to route *all* sound through Bluetooth if it has a live connection, and while HDMI is enabled on the car, it isn't playing the sound that is being routed over Bluetooth.

So I have TWO Problems to solve -- over-riding the inability to do HDMI while the car is moving, and the sound wanting to go over Bluetooth instead of HDMI without breaking the pairing.

Quick Reply: Android and the Fit