3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Android and the Fit

Old 07-17-2015, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by Jim_Lucas
I'm just trying to stream a radio broadcast on my HTC1 (Android) through the usb connection in the glove compartment. Is that possible?
There's a USB port in the glove box?

Old 07-22-2015, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
No Android till 2016's

I am new to the forum. Got my Fit LX in June. Love it.

I just got a tweet from Honda Cust SRV:

"Select 2016 models do feature Android compatibility w/ the Hondalink Gateway app. As of now it is not backwards compatible."

This astonishes me. I am sitting here with a new 2015. The forums suggest this has been promised since early 2014 and now this??

I was able to hook up my Note 4 for calling with bluetooth but there is an awful lot that iPhones get that is not available. Im afraid I don't understand this.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
I've seen nothing that indicates the 2016 Fit is one of the 2016 Honda models that does more with Android than the 2015 does. Which ones they are referring to is a very interesting question.

The Google Play Store listing for the HondaLink app suggests it's the 2016 Pilot.

Last edited by Dick W; 07-22-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dick W
I've seen nothing that indicates the 2016 Fit is one of the 2016 Honda models that does more with Android than the 2015 does. Which ones they are referring to is a very interesting question.

The Google Play Store listing for the HondaLink app suggests it's the 2016 Pilot.
After I pushed for more answers he wrote this:

"We have released our all new 2016 HR-V & Pilot available in select Honda dealers" after which he tried to sell me one of Hondas new cars.

The word Fit is no where is that sentence which leads me to believe they have no intention of ever making Android part of the Fit. I believe they have been promising this for some time?

I just bought the fit so I feel disappointed by this along with Hondas attitude towards new customers. Maybe I'm missing something.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitFrack
they have no intention of ever making Android part of the Fit
Ever is a long time. Not until the MMC wouldn't surprise me.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:52 AM
From what I have found and read is that they are going to be offering Android Auto is some of the 2016 Hondas, this will NOT be backwards compatible with the 2015 models. It would be pretty easy to do just an update to get it into the 2016 Fits but I have also read that automakers are in a battle with Google in just how much information is going to be shared with Google.

In short, I think Honda is holding out on the update to get their way when they should just let the consumer choose if they want to use Android Auto.

As a consumer, I am in the market for a new car. There is no way I would buy a car without Android Auto. I would love to get a 2016 Fit but right now I plan to either get a 2016 Chevy Spark or 2016 VW Golf, both of which will offer Android Auto.

Last edited by phillyfit08; 07-23-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
My guess is "select 2016 models" would be the new Civic and the facelifted Accord. Even the HRV doesn't have it so I agree Fit MMC at the earliest.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
My guess is "select 2016 models" would be the new Civic and the facelifted Accord. Even the HRV doesn't have it so I agree Fit MMC at the earliest.
One shoe dropped today. I was right, the face lifted Accord supports Car Play and Android Auto per autoblog.com. Oh, and the face lift is ugly.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:19 PM
One shoe dropped today. I was right, the face lifted Accord supports Car Play and Android Auto per autoblog.com. Oh, and the face lift is ugly.
Nice find. I guess people were buying a lot of Sonatas and Honda decided to get with the times

Hopefully the Fit will get some love!

Old 07-23-2015, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
I was right, the face lifted Accord supports Car Play and Android Auto per autoblog.com.
And at that it takes an EX or above trim to get it. Little wonder it didn't make any Fit just yet.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:45 AM
Shame you couldn't put Accord HU guts in a Fit.

Honda is really missing the tech. jump mark by not taking the time to add these simple features. With the smart phone being such an integral part of the most people's lives, and with non-honda/toyota cars lasting as long as the asian cars, users looking for a new car are going to be jumping on the manufacturers that are pushing the accessories.

I still say Honda really screwed up by not giving us the ability to mirror the phone display on the HU screen. I'm still going to use my phone to change music when streaming with GoogleMusic/PrimeMusic/etc., so it would be so much safer if I was quickly looking at the HU screen, rather than fumbling with the phone. For every person that wrecked because they were driving down the interstate watching youtube videos on the HU, there'd be five that didn't wreck because they could easily select the next album in their prime account by controlling their phone through the HU.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:08 AM
Originally Posted by Dick W
And at that it takes an EX or above trim to get it. Little wonder it didn't make any Fit just yet.
Maybe they are trying to burn out the 2015 inventory before announcing it?

Old 07-24-2015, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by phillyfit08
Maybe they are trying to burn out the 2015 inventory before announcing it?
Unlikely. This was a refresh year for the Accord, a flagship of the brand. The fit is coming off a total redesign and the 2016 has already been announced. Typically, the year after a total redesign you won't see even minor changes, and on top of that, the fit, while popular, is not important enough to the brand just yet. Civic, Accord, CRV, Pilot-- those will be the ones to get car play/android auto first before it makes its way to the fit and the crz and the like. Besides, even that won't happen til either a refresh year or a redesign year. You are all expecting too much too fast-- the auto world doesn't cycle that quickly!

Old 07-24-2015, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Nicbeau
those will be the ones to get car play/android auto first before it makes its way to the fit and the crz
CR-Z will never get it. Safe bet.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Nicbeau
Unlikely. This was a refresh year for the Accord, a flagship of the brand. The fit is coming off a total redesign and the 2016 has already been announced. Typically, the year after a total redesign you won't see even minor changes, and on top of that, the fit, while popular, is not important enough to the brand just yet. Civic, Accord, CRV, Pilot-- those will be the ones to get car play/android auto first before it makes its way to the fit and the crz and the like. Besides, even that won't happen til either a refresh year or a redesign year. You are all expecting too much too fast-- the auto world doesn't cycle that quickly!
I think that is kind of the point why I won't buy a car without Android Auto (and I post on my company yammer, which is read by 3000+) not to buy any car without AA or CP. The car industry is notorious for not supporting their older car infotainment system and are resistant to change. Google (and Apple) will constantly update their apps so basically your infotainment will constantly get better. if you buy a car without now, you run the risk of being outdated tomorrow. Honda should give their consumer the best possible product....and they are not (at least with the Fit)

Last edited by phillyfit08; 07-25-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
The 2017 Fit MMC is the most likely arrival of any Android. Unless someone hacks the applications, no backward compatibility to 15s and 16s.

I've got plenty of suggestions for that 2017 MMC. Create an SI. The current 1.5 engine as enough tuner potential to get probably 20 hp more, no CVT, some of EXL's trim heated mirrors that wink, discs in the rear. Move the EXL up a bit with 10 more hp rather than 20. Watch the price points. With the Civic SI going to turbo shortly, Honda shouldn't be robbing Civic to pay Fit. So the lineup would be LX, EX, SI, EXL.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:58 PM
Well lookie lookie here comes cookie.

Honda announces Android Auto and CarPlay support are coming

Right on Honda!

Old 07-26-2015, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
Really?

Originally Posted by phillyfit08
I think that is kind of the point why I won't buy a car without Android Auto (and I post on my company yammer, which is read by 3000+) not to buy any car without AA or CP. The car industry is notorious for not supporting their older car infotainment system and are resistant to change. Google (and Apple) will constantly update their apps so basically your infotainment will constantly get better. if you buy a car without now, you run the risk of being outdated tomorrow. Honda should give their consumer the best possible product....and they are not (at least with the Fit)

And many of us wouldn't do without the iPhone, Wouldn't be obsessive, would you? Everything costs and making the two technologies are not compatible without work. The 2016 Accords are a step in the right direction. If you can afford one, buy one. But Accords don't go for under $20k.

No, I don't work for Honda, but I am a realist. I'd like a turbo 2 liter Fit, but it ain't gonna happen.