2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Tirerack.com

Old 05-15-2014, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
Tirerack.com

Do you buy your tires from Tirerack? I do...well, maybe I need to say “I used to”. Back in 2011, I purchased some Yokohama tires for my son’s Fit. See post here (page 3):

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...droedge-3.html

And 32K miles later, they are ready for replacement. So what does Tirerack need for warranty mileage coverage? 1) Paper work as to mileage when installed (no problem), 2) paper work as to mileage that indicates tire are worn out (no problem), 3) proof that tires were rotated every 5K miles (did that, but I don’t keep each and every receipt. I always purchase a lifetime rotation/balance package, and I always take the car in every 5K miles, but I don’t keep zero cost receipts) and 4) strap tires together and ship them back (at my expense), and 5) ensure that there is no uneven tire wear (good luck on the manufacturer not finding a “spot” that voids the warranty).
So...has anyone on this forum gone through these steps...successfully, to recover mileage credit? Do you use Tirerack for your tire needs, and been disappointed in a tire purchase? If so, what did they do for you, if anything? Since I have a fairly lengthy history with Tirerack, buying for four different vehicles over many years, I guess I was hoping that today’s receipt from Wal-Mart stating that no more rotations/balances can be performed since the tires are essentially at the wear bar markings would have been sufficient documentation to receive a reasonable credit. Guess not.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
I have NOT gone through those steps because I never buy the extended warranty for my online tire purchases. I have gotten tires 4 times from on line dealers. I save so much money per tire that I am not concerned about the occasional mishap, which has happened to me. I'm now addicted to the savings I'm getting online versus my old habit of going to Costco. I have purchased Hankook H727s and had to reorder two times due to irreparable blowouts. At $75 a pop, I was willing to take that chance. Same with my new Pirelli P7 Plus tires. I got such a good deal that I don't mind should something happen to one of those. My next tire purchase for my Fit will be either the Firestone Precision Touring or the Kumho PA31s. Either way, at the price I can get them, I won't get the road hazard then either. When I bought Michelins however, I would always get them from Costco and I would (automatically) get the tire protection. If I was buying something as expensive as Michelins online (about $150 a pop), I would get the road hazard because they are way overpriced, and often fall victim to sidewall cracking.

Your experience with Tire Rack is not too dissimilar to that of Costco. When I showed the manager my extensive cracking on the very outer edge of all 4 treads, he said that it was normal and would not be a cause for replacement. He also said my 4/32nds still had "plenty of wear left." While I realize 2/32nds is the wear bar, I had no interest in going another winter with cracking tires with little tread to move small amounts of snow or water, so off they came. I would not have reached the mileage rating on the MXV4s. I have been trying to find a "better" tire than the Michelins and I think I have done so with the Pirelli P7 Plus. After a website rebate and a manufacturer rebate, I got my tires delivered for $71 each. A steal to say the least. Warrantees for tires can certainly be a tricky deal. The only time I used one was when I had an irreparable tire failure with a 7/32nds MXV4. With the little money I got prorated, plus the cost of the new one, plus the cost of the road hazard, I did not walk away from Costco feeling good about the situation, which is why I have chosen to find better values on the internet and just take my chances with the occasional unlucky failure.

Last edited by BurntZ; 05-15-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
I've never bothered with mileage warranties. I've gone through two sets of DWS (just installed third set) from them. And all got roughly 30k miles or so, over a year and half. And they're "rated" for 6 yrs/50,000 miles.

So question is... Are you upset about the process? Or did you get denied and now upset about that?

And while you make it sound like TireRack is trying to screw you over, i think most of those requirements fall under what the manufacturer require with TR acting merely as the middleman. A zero cost receipt is still a receipt.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
the hell... you got 32k miles out of your tires and you're still complaining? geeez...

tirerack is great. i always buy my tires from there.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
I never buy the extended warranty for my online tire purchases
Same here...just to be clear, my issue is dealing with the tread life warranty of the tire, not a defect such as cracking, bubble, tread separation, etc.

Are you upset about the process? Or did you get denied and now upset about that?
Basically the process...based on my history with Tirerack, I would think they could see that I'm not scamming them...after all, I do have paperwork as to when they were installed, including lifetime rotation/balance including name of tires and vehicle, and now have the latest receipt showing the depth of the tread..and mileage/car/tires. Silly me, I guess I was thinking they would say...scan and send to me your latest rotation receipt so that we can verify...and then you can take 20% off a comparable set of tires.

the hell... you got 32k miles out of your tires and you're still complaining?
Well, yea. I have to ship the tires back, which is non-refundable? And I only got half the tread life on the tire? And a big "if" as to what Yokohama might and might not do? Not the kind of service I was expecting.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 05-15-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
our experience with Tire Rack is not too dissimilar to that of Costco.
By the way, many many years ago I purchased a set of tires for two of my vehicles...from SAMS. Out of eight tires, six of them failed (tread separation and sidewall failure). And since I don't purchase "road hazzard" they were butt holes to deal with. (sorry, but a big bubble on the sidewall or steel wires sticking out of the tire is not road hazzard) So, never again!

Between Tirerack and my local tire shop I've never had a tire failure...only a few issues with tread life.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 05-15-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spacecoast
Basically the process...based on my history with Tirerack, I would think they could see that I'm not scamming them...after all, I do have paperwork as to when they were installed, including lifetime rotation/balance including name of tires and vehicle, and now have the latest receipt showing the depth of the tread..and mileage/car/tires. Silly me, I guess I was thinking they would say...scan and send to me your latest rotation receipt so that we can verify...and then you can take 20% off a comparable set of tires.
I think the issue is, you still view this as TR doing it to you. TR isn't the one offering you the warranty, thats Yokohama. TR has a responsibility to accept complete paperwork, because they have pass it along to Yokohama, for them to claim reimburstment for the pro-rate they gave you.

It doesn't benefit them in anyway to accept incomplete paperwork.

I don't know what TR's relationship with Yokohama (or any other tire manufacturer) is. As a partner, they can get reimbursted quickly with the expectation that the paperwork is in order. If just as a "mere" retailer, then most likely they have to deal with the waiting for Yokohama to process the paperwork. In either case, paperwork has to be complete from you, for them to give you the pro-rate, without the lengthy wait. Anything less, screws TR over. Well, not that bad, but from a business view, not something to risk. They can't even start the process with the manufacturer until its complete. So again, it doesn't benefit them to process incomplete paperwork.

You claim customer loyalty? Well, customer loyalty in this age, over the internet is far different than always walking into a mom&pop's brick&mortar shop. They can't view you as anything more than a number. To 'expect' more than that, i don't think is very reasonable (though welcome if it does happen).

Old 05-15-2014, 11:40 PM
tirerack is freaking HORRIBLE for tire warranties.

I had a GT Altimax HP tire (my 195/60/15s) blow out randomly while on the interstate. It was the rear passenger. 3 spots on the outer sidewall, and 2 giant holes in the innner side sidewall.

the 3 other tires showed signs of bubbling in various spots on the sidewall.

With very clear pictures from a fairly expensive digi-cam, I was denied warranty because I could not PROVE I never over pressurized.

Tirerack is now a place I NEVER buy from

EDIT tires at time had 10k miles, were rated to max 51psi and never over 42psi, were rated to 1300 or 1500n pounds per tire, and yet still managed to blow on a 2500 pound car. figure that one out lol

Old 05-16-2014, 07:04 AM
I accepted prior to past purchases with Tirerack.com that I would not realistically be getting any mileage warranty. Always bought V rated or higher performance tires though that really didn't come with much warranty anyway. The cost of return shipping only would be more than any pro-rated discount on a new set. You cannot expect them to honor any warranty without getting the tires back to inspect them.

But now that I have changed to a high mileage LRR tire I looked at it differently. Instead of TireRack this time I purchased from DiscountTireDirect.com. They price matched TR's price and I have my local Discount Tire store (west coast is America's Tire) do the install. My tires came with a 75,000 warranty so I will be surely be cashing in on some warranty with all the towing I do. Install includes free lifetime balance and rotation so same store will have all my records when time comes for new tires under warranty.

_

Old 05-16-2014, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
Once, I bought tires from NTB (Formerly NTW) w/ a warranty. Upon going into my local shop to file a claim, I was told that "they would have to hold the tires in question for the manufacturer's rep to examine"..and he would make a determination as to whether or not they would be (pro rata) replaced, depending on the wear. My reply to the salesman was "so you're saying I need to buy two tires?" He parroted the same manufacturer's rep line, I left and never again bought from them. I dealt w/ a locally owned family business, who ALWAYS honored road hazard warranties, and even gave me discount when one set of tires on my truck had outlasted the warranty!

Old 06-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Tirerack is the whole family's go-to place for tires (my father sold and serviced tires for 50 years). The wealth of information on their website alone makes them worthy of my business.