2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I sell the Boss 302 and keep the Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 11:30 PM
Should I sell the Boss 302 and keep the Fit?

I am thinking of selling my Boss 302 and keep the 13 Honda Fit for both DD and track days
The rationale is the Boss is heavy on consumables ( brakes, tires, fuel, fluids and oil) and maintenance compared to the Fit.
To buy a $43000 car for the track is almost an insane decision unless you are really rich. Which isn't the case here.
So I will keep the Fit and DD + track it to the ground.

Does this make sense? Am I missing anything here?
Help me make this decision...

Old 05-26-2014, 01:27 AM
makes perfect sense.

You do not need much in the Fit to have fun on the track

good set of coilovers, rear sway bar, couple under braces, good tires, and better brake pads.

the factory brake pads are ceramic it seems, and need a lot to heat up to grip hard, but then you get brake fade after only a few minutes at the autocross.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
Well, if you REALLY want, you can test the Fit out AS-IS on the track and see what you enjoy. Then go from there.

As Rabee said, it's the consumables that really need to be dealt with. Tires and brake fluid/pads can go fast on track days.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:24 AM
Do not track your DD or only car. Definitely don't track your DD that's also your only car.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:36 AM
I already have:
1) Enkei RPF1 with Direzza Zii
2) camber bolts
3) swift springs
4) progress rear sway bar
5) DOT 4 brake fluids
6) Hawk HP plus
7) SS braided brake lines

And I also had 2 autocrosses and 1 track day already with the fit.
It is a blast to drive, everything happens slow but definitely fun.
For low trq, you are absolutely spot on! I always think tracking a DD is not the smartest idea and that's what got me the Fit and the Boss 302.
Prior to that my car was 12 Subaru STI hatchback, insanely fun and capable car! However the idea of tracking it, being my only car, was not working for me, so I sold it to get both of my current cars.
The whole thing was not planned properly, due to lack of experience and a touch of stupidity
You will notice something on the track, that most people who does this thing avidly and consistently for years have TRACK RATS, basically POS which they modify tastefully and make it a fun car which they race too.
You will notice most of novices have shiny and brand new sports cars...
You do not realize the concept until you start doing this thing more and more where it becomes an addiction, then you are seeing the whole picture in a more mature way...
The Boss 302 is an amazing track car, ferociously capable!!

Another option is to keep both of them and alternate between them for HPDE days where the Fit will be the most frequently tracked and the Boss for occasional HPDE days??

Last edited by Rabee; 05-26-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:37 PM
How about DD the 302 and race the fit?

Old 05-26-2014, 07:44 PM
I would never give up a 302 just to keep a fit. never.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris
I would never give up a 302 just to keep a fit. never.
Never
However I will start tracking the Fit more so I take the load off the Boss a little

Old 05-26-2014, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Sell 302.

Buy cheap track car, like 88-00 Civic or Miata.

Don't waste time tracking the Fit, but don't waste money keeping a car that costs you thousands without benefit.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Sell 302.

Buy cheap track car, like 88-00 Civic or Miata.

Don't waste time tracking the Fit, but don't waste money keeping a car that costs you thousands without benefit.
That was my original plan and with all honesty keeping a $45K car in the garage to collect dust and tracking my DD which is not even made for this purpose is not a good idea

There are a few facts here
1) I am a track addict
2) The Boss is costly to maintain for the track and also being a brand new with $43K price tag with a loan is not safe and there is was always a possibility that I will wreck it on the track
3) To track my DD is not a safe and wise idea unless you are driving a POS that you do not care leaving it in the track dumpster.

The more I think about it wisely the more I come to conclusion that I should sell the 302 and get a track rat that is cheap and don't care about leaving the track without it.
It sounds like an easy decision to make, buy boy you should drive the Boss 302 to know why I am hesitant, an amazing car, full of character and emotions!!

Old 05-27-2014, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rabee
It sounds like an easy decision to make, buy boy you should drive the Boss 302 to know why I am hesitant, an amazing car, full of character and emotions!!
I don't doubt that. The Coyote V8 is an INCREDIBLE thing.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:49 PM
Simple keep the 302 and get rid of the fit it's a ecobox nothing special that boss will be a collector car later use the extra cash to build up the boss if you want a track car go get a older 90s civic hatch or crx and strip that car till it's light as a feather and drive it into the ground not trying to make the world mad but the fit is a terrible track car so many better cars shit if you don't mind a slightly higher pAyment get a fiesta st then you will complete your little ford family

Old 05-27-2014, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by HONDA4LIFE420
Simple keep the 302 and get rid of the fit it's a ecobox nothing special that boss will be a collector car later use the extra cash to build up the boss if you want a track car go get a older 90s civic hatch or crx and strip that car till it's light as a feather and drive it into the ground not trying to make the world mad but the fit is a terrible track car so many better cars shit if you don't mind a slightly higher pAyment get a fiesta st then you will complete your little ford family
If you're keeping a car as a collectible, it's usually a bad idea to mod it.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by darkspork
If you're keeping a car as a collectible, it's usually a bad idea to mod it.
Ford parts or Shelby maybe Roush it's the same collector car stock or 1000hp it's still a boss 302

Old 05-30-2014, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
So, you want something lite on consumables and fun to track?

The proper solution is to sell the 302, DD the Fit and buy a Miata. Which is exactly what I have done (well, I never owned a 302). I took the Fit to my first ever track day, then decided to buy a Miata to use for that. $5k later, I have a cheap to run, fun to drive, track/autocross car.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:27 AM
why would he want to buy another vehicle when for the cost of a stock used miata he could have quality coilovers, good set of rims/tires, and still have plenty of money to take his better half out on a few dates?

Old 05-31-2014, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
Because a Fit is not a good track car and tracking your daily is always risky?

Old 05-31-2014, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Because a Fit is not a good track car and tracking your daily is always risky?
true, using a daily for a weekend warrior has its downsides, but if quality parts are used, he can run around the car and soften or stiffen up the struts/shocks before and after racing for daily comfort, and not worry about bad parts if you skip all the lower level BS

maybe its just me, but I see ALL miata owners who are car people end up turning it into a track only car that ends up not being worth the broken spine to drive on the street.

unless the miata only gets stiffer springs and some grippy tires. Then it would still be decent on the street and still be a pretty big threat on the track to other cars in the small catergory

Old 05-31-2014, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
why would he want to buy another vehicle when for the cost of a stock used miata he could have quality coilovers, good set of rims/tires, and still have plenty of money to take his better half out on a few dates?
Because you should not bring anything to the track that you are not willing to leave there. I reccomended the Miata only because I have one and they are great for track. There are plenty of other cars that would work as well. Even the Fit makes a decent track car. My first track day was in my 2011 when it had 30,000 miles on it! That was the only time I took my only car to the track though, I went out and got a second just because I could not do that with only one car.

Originally Posted by 13fit
true, using a daily for a weekend warrior has its downsides, but if quality parts are used, he can run around the car and soften or stiffen up the struts/shocks before and after racing for daily comfort, and not worry about bad parts if you skip all the lower level BS
See above. While it is entirely possibly to make a reliable car that is comfortable on the street and decent on the track, you are not the only one out there. Someone else cocks up, and poof! there goes your only car! What happens now?

maybe its just me, but I see ALL miata owners who are car people end up turning it into a track only car that ends up not being worth the broken spine to drive on the street.

unless the miata only gets stiffer springs and some grippy tires. Then it would still be decent on the street and still be a pretty big threat on the track to other cars in the small catergory
It is actually entirely possible to make a Miata daily comfortable and a track warrior. Lots of people end up deciding to forgo comfort for track performance though. Same thing could happen with the Fit. The thing is, the GE at least does not have much aftermarket. I have been looking at what is available, and really, there are only two set ups I have found I would consider for the track. An AMR custom set or the Redshift Motorsports coil-overs.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:35 PM
I wouldnt sell the stang but its my one non Honda dream car lol But I agree with the ones that said that tracking your daily driver is a bad idea. If your on the track and crash or the car breaks.....how will you get to work? I'm looking for a 5th gen Accord coupe to track myself.