2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2010 Honda Fit Sport -Airbag deployment/srs computer

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:48 PM
2010 Honda Fit Sport -Airbag deployment/srs computer

So recently purchased a fit from the salvage yard. Drivers seat airbag and drivers side curtain bag were deployed. I put a new seat in it, and bought a new curtain bag. Haven't installed the curtain bag yet. Do I have to get the SRS computer replaced/restarted? Should I do this before installing the airbag or will it not make a difference if I don't connect the electricity to the bag? I've never had to deal with airbags and just wondering what I have to do so I can get the airbag light off. Want to get the state police inspection done as soon as possible to get it street legal. If anyone has done this, I'm just looking for advice and what my next move should be, thanks.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:16 PM
From my limited experience with the airbag system, anytime you have an airbag deployed, you need to have the airbag SRS module either reprogrammed or replaced.

Call the service department at a few different honda dealerships. See if their views and policies are the same. Sometimes its hard to distinguish between a tech trying to sound smart and a tech who actually knows what he/she is talking about.

Just explain the problem as you hit a deer or something. Dont let them know you bought it that way, else you get an earful of their stupid opinions lol

Old 09-05-2014, 12:33 AM
okay thanks

Old 09-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Also do a little research on how to safely handle airbag modules. You don't want one going off while you are working on it!

The 24 hours of lemons rules puts it rather eloquently like this:
Remember, airbag removal can be really dangerous—please try not to blow your damn fool head off. If you don't know what you're doing, call in an expert. Let him blow HIS damn fool head off.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
I recently got into an accident with the same problem. Both drivers side airbags deployed. I called both Honda service departments in town and both told me they'd have to be replaced. I have searched far and wide through forums and asking groups on facebook and it seems that some have had success with reprogramming the SRS units. Don't quote me on it working because I've never done it before. I played it safe and purchased an entire new unit from a dealership online (cheaper than ur local probably).

I have replaced both the seat and curtain with used parts, undeployed items (body shop buddy of mine says that it is safe and that body shops often do this). I have also replaced the 2 impact sensors along with the drivers seat belt. Unfortunately after turning on the car, the side curtain lights took a few second to turn off but the SRS light is still on. I figure I need to reset the light which there are tricks all over the internet and youtube to show u how.

I am still in the middle of working on the vehicle, still need to put door back on and do the SRS light reset. I am hoping that will fix everything. Best wishes in figuring it out. I surely am... LOL! If you have any questions, feel free to messege me and I can share what I've found, done, and results.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:47 PM
I need help. I had an accident damagingthe bumper, impact bumper and hood. Both seat belts locked and airbag light is on. Luckily no bags deployed. I took the seat belts to get unlocked but I'm sure I still need new belts cuz the guy grinded something down so they can retract. I'm thinking of ordering one or two front impact sensors from eBay. Might have to buy the seat belts at the dealer. Gonna order the hood new and just repair the bumper. Any input is helpful thanks!

Old 07-20-2015, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by alfarop1999
I need help. I had an accident damagingthe bumper, impact bumper and hood. Both seat belts locked and airbag light is on. Luckily no bags deployed. I took the seat belts to get unlocked but I'm sure I still need new belts cuz the guy grinded something down so they can retract. I'm thinking of ordering one or two front impact sensors from eBay. Might have to buy the seat belts at the dealer. Gonna order the hood new and just repair the bumper. Any input is helpful thanks!
U're doing the right thing with buying new belts. I would either buy new belts or used ones that are not seized and/or rebuilt. I don't have experience with rebuilt ones but I replaced mine brand new. As for ebay, I can't say that I would or wouldn't trust buying from there. Where ever you choose, just make sure the buyer is reputable and that you can return or get in easy contact with. I ordered my stuff from Majestic Honda online. They're reputable and they're much cheaper than your local Honda dealership. If you're concern about shipping, check with your dealership if they'll price match Majestic.

Your airbag light is going to need to be reset. IDK if you'll need a new SRS module just for the seat belts. I needed one because my airbags deployed. This reset will cost you as well since it's done using an expensive computer tool that body shops, mechanics, and dealerships have to buy. Hopefully you have a friend that has access to one. LOL!

As for body parts, I purchased a used door from a wrecking yard. That's another option to buying new parts. Might be a bit cheaper if you're lucky to find one. Good luck and feel free to post up progress.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:32 PM
I had to cough up 600 bucks including tax for both front seat belts. Now to install them myself tomorrow... Just concerned about the light. Hopefully it resets by itself once I'm done.if not going to try the paper clip trick to reset unit. Just can't seem to unclip the Yellow plug in the fuse box...

Old 07-29-2015, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
If I can remember from my research when I was fixing mine, our cars do not have the same reset feature/pins as previous Hondas. I do not believe the paper clip reset is possible. I could be wrong though. But try, see what happens. If it doesn't work, get someone to do so. From there they'll be able to tell u if ur SRS unit will need to be replaced. Process of elimination. LOL!

Old 07-30-2015, 10:10 PM
Well just installed my seat belts and as I expected the srs light still stayed on...
I starting searching around and came upon Honda data scanner on eBay for 20$.
Gonna go for it and buy it. Will probably come in handy in the future anyways.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Yup, I thought so as well. Almost everything has some kind of log inside the SRS computer unit. I spent a pretty penny on that unit as well. Another thing to keep in mind, possible issues could also be the crash sensors. They are relatively cheap, but also need to be replaced. I believe there are 3 on each side; one on the front, middle and rear. Depending on where the impact was, might wanna consider replacing those as well. Airbags deployed usually means replace airbags, replace sensors, seat belts, and srs unit.

Even replacing the SRS unit, u still need a shop, or the computer tool, to sync the unit to ur ECU. The diagnostic tool u use will tell u whats wrong, but will not erase or sync the srs unit. Pain in the A$$ and costs money. I did my research over and over. I researched short cuts and nothing really works. Just gotta expect to spend the money and use the process of elimination while in the process. I also had buddies who work at body shops to give me pointers. After all I did, all my lights are off and car's running great!

Last edited by bunz559; 07-31-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator
You will need a SRS unit and any other damaged SRS component like crash sensor etc.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Airbag Fix

Hello,

I bought a 2011 (09-13) Honda Fit from junk yard, with wheel airbag deployed and driver seat belt ceased. It's a simply fix, if you can find the parts. Dealer is pricy, $800+ for airbag and $300+ for seat belt. I found both for $570 at a dismantler in Los Angeles, it was off of a 2013 Fit. Go to Car-part.com to help you locate an airbag.
Here's how to fix it.
1) Start with unplugging your battery 2) Replace airbags and seat belts
(You can plug the battery back in. and drive at this point without airbags deploying)
3) After you have all the new or used airbags in, you must now reset your SRS airbag module for the airbag light to go off.
4) take out your center console
(Very simple only on 3 screws)
5) SRS module is located right under the 12v power outlet remove it with the battery unplugged.
(3 bolts need a T30)
6) call around shops in your area that reset SRS modules or you can find one online you can ship the module to.
(Found a guy in Sacramento, CA reset it for $50)
7) After you reset the Module plug everything back in (battery unplugged) and your all set to go! Don't have to replace sensors unless the are in very bad shape or missing.

If you need me to go into more detail about anything let me know. Don't be scared of your airbags, just make sure you always unplug your battery before messing around.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:18 PM
I had to cough up 600 bucks including tax for both front seat belts. Now to install them myself tomorrow... Just concerned about the light. Hopefully it resets by itself once I'm done.if not going to try the paper clip trick to reset unit. Just can't seem to unclip the Yellow plug in the fuse box...
Curious about this..... If one is in an accident and the seatbelts hold you (lock up), they don't just release once pressure is removed, like when you're bending over to pick something up and the seatbelt stops you?
I've never heard of seatbelts needing to be replaced.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Some seatbelt have a gadget that works like the airbag and actually retracts the seatbelt to pull you into the seat and hold you there so you don't flop around. An not they don't release, you have to unbuckle or cut the belt.

Always disconnect the battery and turn on the key for 5 minutes before working on SRS or disconnecting any sensor, if it has battery power sometimes the act of disconnecting the sensor will make the SRS lock out like its had a deployment..

Old 04-08-2016, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
I had a company called SRS Module(can google them) reset my honda ridgeline SRS computer for $40. Looks like on ebay they are offering the service for $24.99, but that doesn't inlude the cost of shipping your unit to them, they will ship back for free. I have used their service in the past to reset my module and rebuild seat belt and was very happy with the service.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
Very handy info.. Is there a key vendors sticky somewhere of this?

Old 04-19-2016, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Albert_bondar
Hello,

I bought a 2011 (09-13) Honda Fit from junk yard, with wheel airbag deployed and driver seat belt ceased. It's a simply fix, if you can find the parts. Dealer is pricy, $800+ for airbag and $300+ for seat belt. I found both for $570 at a dismantler in Los Angeles, it was off of a 2013 Fit. Go to Car-part.com to help you locate an airbag.
Here's how to fix it.
(You can plug the battery back in. and drive at this point without airbags deploying)
3) After you have all the new or used airbags in, you must now reset your SRS airbag module for the airbag light to go off.
5) SRS module is located right under the 12v power outlet remove it with the battery unplugged.
(3 bolts need a T30)
6) call around shops in your area that reset SRS modules or you can find one online you can ship the module to.
7) After you reset the Module plug everything back in (battery unplugged) and your all set to go! Don't have to replace sensors unless the are in very bad shape or missing.

If you need me to go into more detail about anything let me know. Don't be scared of your airbags, just make sure you always unplug your battery before messing around.

Do you still have the guys info in Sacramento ?

Old 04-19-2016, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Albert_bondar
Hello,

Here's how to fix it.
(3 bolts need a T30)

If you bought an airbag off a 2013, isn't it now included in the recall?

Old 04-20-2016, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
There can be an issue with your impact sensors. Either loose wiring or they need to be replaced.