2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Grinding Sound at Start up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Grinding Sound at Start up?

Greetings everyone. I am new to the forum, and I had a question to ask regarding the subject line about. My vehicle is an 08 6 speed MT Fit with 106,000 miles.

At cold start up, the vehicle makes a loud grinding noise for about half a second. Oddly, the vehicle doesn't make the noise until it is cold again, but this is a broad statement in itself. From what I have been experiencing, the sweet spot is about 8-10 hours. If I start the car again within the 8-10 hour period, there is no sound at all and the vehicle starts up normally. If I let the vehicle sit for over 10~ hours, the sounds happens again at start up.

Does anyone know what is causing this issue? Is this a common problem on earlier fits?

Last edited by jtm893; 11-10-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:52 PM
My guess would be the antilock brake system priming itself. If so, it's perfectly normal and nothing to be worried about. It may be more common as the car ages due to (expected) wear in the pumps and valves making up the ABS system.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by DrewE
My guess would be the antilock brake system priming itself. If so, it's perfectly normal and nothing to be worried about. It may be more common as the car ages due to (expected) wear in the pumps and valves making up the ABS system.
I'll look into this. The only other thing that makes sense is the starter going out. Oddly, I can't find a thread about it on the forums, but there are many threads on other Honda vehicle forums that have exhibit similar symptoms.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by jtm893
I'll look into this. The only other thing that makes sense is the starter going out. Oddly, I can't find a thread about it on the forums, but there are many threads on other Honda vehicle forums that have exhibit similar symptoms.
If it's the starter, it would be making noises when you actually turn the key, either with or without the engine cranking. The ABS noise I think generally happens a moment after the engine starts—certainly not synchronized with the key all the time.

I had a starter wear out on one of my cars. In that case, it was the overrun clutch (a one-way clutch lets the engine turn faster than the starter motor when it starts running) that would not grip when it should, so the starter motor itself would whirr away but the engine wouldn't crank at all. There are other ways for them to fail, of course, and clicking/buzzing/grinding noises are possible if the pinion isn't engaging the flywheel properly for whatever reason.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
Neither started not ABS? sound reasonable at all.

You either have a belt slipping, or your engine is suffering insufficient oil lubrication/pressure at start up. Either way is not good.
Make sure your oil is fresh and at the right level.

Listen for the source of the noise. Go from there.
Nothing normal about the noise at start up.
P.S. there could really be dozens of reasons, but it's pointless to try to diagnose over the internet (put a video if you want more feedback).
Water pump and alternator would also be suspected until ruled out.
Good luck.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=jtm893;1276675]Greetings everyone. I am new to the forum, and I had a question to ask regarding the subject line about. My vehicle is an 08 6 speed MT Fit with 106,000 miles.

I bet the problem is with your 6th gear... it shouldn't be there

Old 11-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator
lol nice catch

Old 11-16-2014, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
same here

Has been happening to me towards the end of last winter, when away when it got warmer, and has been happening every morning since the temps in NJ have dropped below 60 overnight..

when it happens the engine turns over quick, so I believe it's the starter...

Old 12-31-2015, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
Greetings everyone. I am new to the forum, and I had a question to ask regarding the subject line about. My vehicle is an 08 6 speed MT Fit with 106,000 miles.

At cold start up, the vehicle makes a loud grinding noise for about half a second. Oddly, the vehicle doesn't make the noise until it is cold again, but this is a broad statement in itself. From what I have been experiencing, the sweet spot is about 8-10 hours. If I start the car again within the 8-10 hour period, there is no sound at all and the vehicle starts up normally. If I let the vehicle sit for over 10~ hours, the sounds happens again at start up.

Does anyone know what is causing this issue? Is this a common problem on earlier fits?
This thread is old BUT i having your problem too.My Honda FIT is 2010 AT and is the sport model.Here is a video of my car doing the noise.Is this the same noise your had???Did you find the problem of the noise???Anyone know what can it be???The noise is around .03-.05 seconds in the video clip.ALL help is welcome.Here is my thread....

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1330745

Attached Files
File Type: avi
VID_20151229_070210.avi (1.45 MB, 2111 views)
Old 01-02-2016, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member

At cold start up, the vehicle makes a loud grinding noise for about half a second. Oddly, the vehicle doesn't make the noise until it is cold again, but this is a broad statement in itself. From what I have been experiencing, the sweet spot is about 8-10 hours.?
My wife's 2014 CRV does the same thing. I'm waiting for a recall or something. Is this your noise? (This video is a 2012 but our '14 has the same issue).

Old 01-06-2016, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
I have an 09 Fit and I'm noticing this too... what's the root cause and fix, do we know? my extended warranty just expired like a month or two ago

Old 10-18-2017, 04:44 PM
Ugh...sounds a bit like a dry start. My wife's 2004 Corolla also does this when it is cold.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
Check the cylinder compression and perform a leak down test. Check the inside of the cylinders for any signs of carbon build up. Check the spark plugs. Make sure the oil is sufficient in level and condition, and the factory specified filter is used.

Check for abnormal sound while operating both cold and hot using stethoscope and by doing a test drive. Check the timing. If sounds persist, remove the valve cover and visually inspect the valve train and the camshaft. Make sure the valve clearances are within spec.

Next would be the timing chain wear and tensioner operation inspection. Then more...

Good luck.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
My 2010 does this every morning during the cold months. During Summer it never happens. Sounds like the starter to me. I can avoid the grinding noise by doing a quick key turn on and off 2-3 times; just enough to turn the starter, but not long enough to let it start. On the 3rd try, I let it start, and there's usually no grinding noise.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member
My 2008 Fit Sport started doing this, and my 2010 Fit Sport that I just bought on Thursday did it as well. Only on cold mornings. All signs point to the VTC Actuator.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
My 13' Sport made the same sound couple of winters ago. Haven't heard this since then...

Old 10-30-2017, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rampo
My 2010 does this every morning during the cold months. During Summer it never happens. Sounds like the starter to me. I can avoid the grinding noise by doing a quick key turn on and off 2-3 times; just enough to turn the starter, but not long enough to let it start. On the 3rd try, I let it start, and there's usually no grinding noise.
The sound I'm hearing is the grinding noise you would get if you accidentally turned the key to "Start" while the engine was already running. The sound starts instantly after the engine starts, and only lasts about a half second.

Last edited by Rampo; 11-01-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
So we're thinking its your starter then? starters got its little actuator gear guy that pops out to spin the flywheel or flexplate. an issue there would explain it occurring at start up and also being short term.
If youre curious you could try putting some gear marking compound on the starter gear or the flex plate and cranking the engine. The ac delco brand stuff is a bright yellow thatd make it real obvious if the gears are making good contact

Old 01-06-2019, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah it's a sticky engagement mechanism or solenoid. Mine started making the noise last winter (09 with 130K at the time).

Replacing the solenoid and lubricating the mechanism would be the solution, but I think it's easier and better (maybe about the same cost) to replace the starter.

I found a rebuilt nippon denso starter on Amazon for not too much, but I got lazy and never installed it. It stopped making the noise after it warmed up a bit outside. It's made the noise a few times so far this winter. When it becomes more frequent I'll swap the starter.

The shop manual calls for removal of the intake manifold to gain access to the starter. Some have finessed its replacement without doing this. I bought a set of manifold gaskets just in case.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:22 AM
Probably bearing on belt tensioner..that's what mine was.

Quick Reply: Grinding Sound at Start up?