2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Grinding Sound at Start up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 06:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jlog
Probably bearing on belt tensioner..that's what mine was.
What? Whole different subject.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:40 AM
It's not the Starter because I just had mine replecsed due to intermittent starting issues. I had the noise before it was replaced so I was hoping a replacement would fix this as well. It has not. So it has to be something else.

Old 02-08-2020, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Rampo
The sound I'm hearing is the grinding noise you would get if you accidentally turned the key to "Start" while the engine was already running. The sound starts instantly after the engine starts, and only lasts about a half second.
Wanted to check in (3 years later) and see if you figured out what was going on? My 2008 Honda fit is making this exact sound on a cold start . . .

Old 10-30-2020, 01:52 AM
Shot in the dark

This is a shot in the dark but here goes. My 2014 MT fit is making this noise under these same conditions.

My 2011 F150 with the 3.5L eco boost engine had exactly the same symptoms on cold start ups. Its a well documented problem on this engine beginning from its first year (in 2011) until i believe around 2015 (not sure about this though). It was the timing chain slapping around for half a second because the chain tensioner let's off when the engine cools down under the right conditions. If you read the forums about the issue, some guys had that noise for over 100,000km with no issues, while some guys would eventually have an engine light go on because the timing chain stretched enough to throw a code.

Ford originally replaced the chains but the noise would come back. Eventually they figured out around 2015 that they needed to replace the phasers and the chain to solve the problem.

I'm probably wrong but the noise and initiation conditions are uncanny. I thought I left this problem behind when I sold the Ford.

Old 11-10-2021, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
My wife's 2014 CRV does the same thing. I'm waiting for a recall or something. Is this your noise? (This video is a 2012 but our '14 has the same issue).

2012 Honda CR V engine grinding noise at start up (Resolved, fix in description!) - YouTube
My 2013 Honda CR V does the same. Did you ever get it resolved?

Old 11-11-2021, 06:11 AM
5 Year Member
Thought it might be best to connect the two threads....

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...going-bad.html

Old 11-11-2021, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hogwylde
My wife's 2014 CRV does the same thing. I'm waiting for a recall or something. Is this your noise? (This video is a 2012 but our '14 has the same issue).

2012 Honda CR V engine grinding noise at start up (Resolved, fix in description!) - YouTube
This video had a solution posted in the description posted in the description:
"Issue was with the "cam actuator gear assembly" part #14310R44A01, Act. Assy., 46T VTC All was covered under warranty. (It was a gear about 3 -- 4" in diameter with an enclosed "hub" that has the parts that rattled during start up) There is now a Honda Bulletin for this, apparently it affects the Accords with 4cyl too."

That part costs a pretty penny at $115 on rockauto.
I found a video showing testing of a vvt solenoid:

Based on design differences I'm unsure if the solenoid on the fit could be tested in the same fashion. I'll check out the manual, though i suspect they'll say 'Hook up your Honda diagnostic tool and select VVT Solenoid operation test'.
​​​​​​All the same, a more awake mind might come up with something!

As for the timing chain issue, although my chain experience has been with older vehicles, with failing guides and thusly slack I was able to notice a distinct amount of delay between pressing the throttle and getting response. We have that inherently with our electric throttles.. so such a symptom may be more discreet here. When opening the throttle from a stop, a discerning person may still be able to feel it. Nothing for a split second, then suddenly a significant amount of power brought on abruptly.

I certainly wouldn't envy someone with chain issues as they suck to repair and would be costly to outsource labor on. BUT if the chain has slack due to mechanical failure, it would be present at all times. Probably best identified by test driving another car in good health and noting response when accelerating somewhat hard from a stop. If there's some kinda system at work that has to heat up/get oil before tensioning the chain and the fault goes away once operating temp is reached, i'd be relieved but unsure how to address it.

Old 07-28-2022, 12:48 PM
Fix my one $4 Grinding noise when start

Originally Posted by jtm893
Greetings everyone. I am new to the forum, and I had a question to ask regarding the subject line about. My vehicle is an 08 6 speed MT Fit with 106,000 miles.

At cold start up, the vehicle makes a loud grinding noise for about half a second. Oddly, the vehicle doesn't make the noise until it is cold again, but this is a broad statement in itself. From what we I have been experiencing, the sweet spot is about 8-10 hours. If I start the car again within the 8-10 hour period, there is no sound at all and the vehicle starts up normally. If I let the vehicle sit for over 10~ hours, the sounds happens again at start up.

Does anyone know what is causing this issue? Is this a common problem on earlier fits?

I had same problem , fix my one spend $4 only I did extend wire starter to wire harness 실린오일

Old 08-03-2022, 04:57 PM
My car, a 2008 Fit 5 speed manual, does the same thing. Its the starter, if you take it apart and lube it, it is quiet for 2 years, then gets noisy again.

Old 10-02-2022, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AnalogDog
Ugh...sounds a bit like a dry start. My wife's 2004 Corolla also does this when it is cold.
Reviving this thread because I've been able to address it effectively. Not a fix.

I let the fuel system pressurize before starting the engine and the sound is minimized if not removed. Key to On II, all warning lights come on and you hear the fuel pump do its thing, then start the engine. I believe it's a dry start as quoted above, at least in my case. As such I figure if there's an issue, it's with the fuel system holding pressure at the rails.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:39 AM
Banned
it's perfectly normal and nothing to be worried about. It may be more common as the car ages due to (expected) wear in the pumps and valves making up the ABS system.

Last edited by daniolmu; 10-06-2022 at 09:12 AM.