3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Soft clunk/noise when accelerating from cold start

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 08:49 PM
Soft clunk/noise when accelerating from cold start

Have another question come up about my new 2017 LX. I have noticed a single soft clunk like sound from under the car or rear suspension when I go above about the 15mph after the car has sat for some time (ie mornings or after work). It is almost like something settling in place since I don’t hear it again duuring the same drive. It does not sound metallic or a harsh, more like something rubber or plastic. It is subtle and can only be felt slightly. I haven’t asked the dealer since it would be difficult to replicate unless I left it overnight.

Last edited by nduncan; 10-16-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Parking brake? I think it was discussed before but wasn't 100% confirmed.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:14 PM
I don’t normally use the hand brake since it is parked level in the garage or parking structure at work. Unless you a referring to having it in P for longer periods as well.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
The cables to your rear drum brakes can corrode and seize if you don't engage the parking brake regularly. Wonder if you're already starting to get corrosion if you never use the parking brake, and that's the noise you're hearing - the cables are releasing. I'd get into the habit of using the parking brake any time it's parked (not just now and then) to prevent further issues.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:01 AM
The car has less than 1000 miles as a reference. I hadn’t used the parking brake much on my previous car (Sentra) and had not noticed any trouble at 140,000+ miles.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
OK, the car has very little mileage, so what? What were you planning to do if you don't get the answer you like here? Live with the problem until your car goes out of warranty?

The parking brake is there for a reason. It puts less strain on your transmission when parked, helps adjust the rear brakes when used consistently, and also prevents your vehicle from rolling away if it's hit or if the transmission fails for whatever reason. Doesn't matter if your car is on level ground or not, the parking brake holds the car in place much better than any transmission could. Cheap insurance if you ask me, but hey, it's your car.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bargainguy
OK, the car has very little mileage, so what? What were you planning to do if you don't get the answer you like here? Live with the problem until your car goes out of warranty?
Calm down ... I can see his point. I don't know many people who use the parking brake with an automatic, stress or no stress -- it just doesn't happen much in the real world. Why would the ebrake make noise if it was never used?

Nduncan, try using the parking brake a few times then maybe go back to your previous practice to see if it still makes a noise. I used to get a little pop sometimes on launch when my car was new but it went away after a month or so -- and I have an MT so I use my brake all the time.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
I'd ask the dealer, as they might just know.
From a warranty standpoint at least also you'd be documenting a problem. In case it get's worse.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bargainguy

The parking brake is there for a reason. It puts less strain on your transmission when parked, helps adjust the rear brakes when used consistently, and also prevents your vehicle from rolling away if it's hit or if the transmission fails for whatever reason. Doesn't matter if your car is on level ground or not, the parking brake holds the car in place much better than any transmission could. Cheap insurance if you ask me, but hey, it's your car.
This reminds me when I got my car aligned. I have a dash cam and when the tech got in the car he ranted about "Who puts the parking brake on in an automatic!??" I had to laugh watching the footage. I guess it's a throwback when I did have a stickshift as a daily. I always put it in 1st and put the parking brake on.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:52 AM
I plan to take it to the dealer, but wanted to see if there were similar experiences to make finding the issue simpler since I only notice it once on driving after the car sits for several hours. I always use the parking brake on inclines, but didn’t see the benefit on level ground.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:01 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
spare tire loose? something in the trunk? could also be springs making the noise. how about something under the seat, in the door pockets?

cars make all sorts of noises. if it's not clanking or ratting, chances are u are okay.
wait until you start hearing the VTC noises. you'll have a heart attack.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:27 PM
My Sentra had all kinds of noises from the CVT as it aged. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was the CVT and is probably just fine. It is starting to get pretty cold at night by me so it could be more pronounced right now. I have had good experiences with an Accord and currently an Odyssey as well so I am not too concerned about Honda taking care of it if there does turn out to be a problem.