2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sun Visor upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 06:10 AM
5 Year Member
Sun Visor upgrade?

I've got a Base 2012 Fit that carried my stepson (lead foot) back and forth to college faithfully and remarkably still runs great. He is not easy on a car. I got it because of Honda reliability and the simple design - no direct injection and 5 speed A/T. He'll be away for about 5 months and I'll start driving it to baby along my 2005 Nissan Altima a few more years. There are only two things I would improve. The Base doesn't have a center arm rest and I know how to upgrade that. But the one thing I don't know what to do about, are the sun visors. They work fine when the sun is in front of the car, but to me, are useless if the sun is on the left. When I move the visor to cover the side window, it angles way up and doesn't cover the window much. Has anyone found a good solution? Other than that, I'm always impressed when I drive it. Just to show how driving style affects mileage, he averages about 28 MPG and I average about 37. Both of us are mostly rural and highway driving. Thanks for any feedback.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
The GE Sport model has the same poor sun visors. There is a thread on here somewhere about the visors. You can buy extenders on Amazon, not sure how well the work, though.

I wonder if the visors were improved on the new model?

Old 02-17-2015, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
Tint the top quarter of the front windshield. Get something really dark and you won't have to worry about the sun visor gaps.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mr.Hollow
Tint the top quarter of the front windshield. Get something really dark and you won't have to worry about the sun visor gaps.

mine is tinted about 10- 11 inches or so and it is still a problem when the sun is at a certain angle

Old 02-18-2015, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member
I have the same car (2012 base automatic), and the same complaint. I hope someone has a link to a good visor replacement. When the sun is on my left, I usually put on a ball cap and cock it radiacally down and to the left. If I don't have the cap along, I put my left hand up to cover my face. Very high tech. I also notice the same kind of mileage variation depending on driving style. Hope someone has a good solution for you/us.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:16 AM
Me too

I too am looking for a solution to this, all the extenders sold on Amazon review poorly

Old 03-12-2015, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
This bugs me too. When you swing the visor to the side it is at such an angle that it is too high to block the sun. I find myself trying to sit up super straight just to get my eye into the shade.

I've been thinking that a wedge shaped bit of aluminum (a kind of angled spacer) that attached to the roof mounting points for the visor and provided a horizontal surface for the visor to attach to might do the trick. Then when you swing the visor around to the side it wouldn't swing up at that angle, the visor would stay at the same height and would actually be useful on the side.

I just don't have the time to to make it happen. If there is someone enterprising here, you could do the leg work and get a machine shop to make a prototype and test it. You could then have them produce a few dozen then sell them to us here for a nice profit. I'd buy a set.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
I wedge my visor under the headliner by the winder. I'm sure this stresses the hinge a bit but it hasn't broken in 103k miles. It still leaves a gap though and the sun always manages to find it's way into my eyes.

It looks like the brand "Visormate" has good reviews on amazon. Looks like just a piece of plastic with some velcro straps.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00

Is what I use. Toss the green part, can't see through it. I put 5 to 700 miles a week on it and this thing is great for blocking the sun on the side windows.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Whoever engineered the visors did a crappy job. I'm taking care of the side window sun issue by getting the windows tinted and also installing some window visors. Can't wait for it to be done!

Old 07-12-2015, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ukemike
I've been thinking that a wedge shaped bit of aluminum (a kind of angled spacer) that attached to the roof mounting points for the visor and provided a horizontal surface for the visor to attach to might do the trick. Then when you swing the visor around to the side it wouldn't swing up at that angle, the visor would stay at the same height and would actually be useful on the side.
This is exactly what I was thinking about. How to make a Shim for the hinge side that changes the angle of the visor's swing arm.

Anyone out there with a 3d printer want to give this a try? all you'd need is the angled printed piece and longer screws.

~SB

Old 07-25-2015, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks reelbigfish241

I've taken reelbigfish241's suggestion and got brave. I've wedged the visor under the headliner which drops it down at least an inch or two. I then put a piece of shirt cardboard into the visor sleeve that I can pull out to cover the distance from the end of the visor. I sit with the seat all the way back so the back of the window is where I get hit with the sun. Stepson has been hiking for 6 weeks and made it through Maine. He's doing great and continuing on. I've cleaned the Fit, replaced the radio with a Pioneer with Bluetooth audio and Siri Eyes free, changed the auto trans and radiator fluids, air and cabin filters and gotten an armrest. Averaging 35 MPG. Also the original squirreliness driving on the highway seems to be gone. It's been aligned twice and on the second set of tires so that may be why. Nice car. Made a good choice when we got the Fit over the Accent or Versa. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 12-06-2015, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
anyone post pictures of their setup? looking for ideas. im pretty visual.

thank you