2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical problems.... maybe....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Electrical problems.... maybe....

So I was in a slight accident a couple of weeks ago. I hit a curb and the back of my car hit another car (stupid ice). My drivers side front tire and wheel had to be replaced. And there was a dent on my back passenger side door, right where it met up with the body of the vehicle (which was also dented).

I have had my car back since last Friday (5 days) and have noticed a couple of weird things.

1. When i have my front wipers going the back will randomly wipe even though it is in the off position. It isn't a consistent thing and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it - at least that I could tell. It would just randomly swipe once here and there. I saw it happen 3 times over a 2 day period. I had the wipers going pretty steady because it was snowing.

2. This is related to the first one and may be nothing. I just sat in my car and let my front wipers go for about 5 minutes to see if the back would go again - it didn't. but I did notice that the interior light would flicker occasionally. This isn't something I have seen it do before but I usually don't just sit there with my wipers going and that light on. So I don't know if this is anything or not.

3. My fuel gauge. I just filled the car up 9.6 gallons. However, my fuel light usually goes on when I have around 1.5 gallons left (tank is only 10.6 gallons). It obviously didn't go on and the bar thing was showing that I wasn't at empty - maybe 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch above the empty mark. So assuming that the gas pump didn't lie about the amount of gas I put in the tank, my gas gauge was telling me I still had plenty of gas left in there - definitely more than a gallon worth.

So.... My question is, are these things I should be worried about? (or am i just going nuts). What is causing it? Could this have been caused by the accident somehow?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
1. its normal for rear wiper to automatically wipe when you have front wipers on and u have gear on reverse.

2. you have it on Park? again it will auto wipe if u go on reverse with front headlights on. did u have other accessories on? assuming u have the heat on, the wipers on, the interior lights on, maybe even the radio... and maybe defroster. while you're idling you're using your battery charge, and the alternator will kick in to charge your battery. That will cause the flicker.

3. They say the E light goes on when you have 1.6 gallons of gas left on your 10.6 gallon tank. Some hypermilers say they can squeeze in 12 gallons in their tanks buy continuing to fill past the first two clicks. Maybe you overfilled. The E light doesn't turn on at 9 gallons exactly. Mine usually goes off when i fill with 9.2-9.5 gallons filled up.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
To point 1 - as noted by xxryu139xx This is normal in reverse. Mine has done so since new. With the windshield wipers on, if you shift to reverse the rear wiper will wipe.

To his point 2, I've never had my rear wiper wipe in park with the headlights on. Only when I shift to reverse.

To your point 2, normal again. I asked my dealer about this when I bought the car, and learned that when the electrical system is loaded (usually when my AC compressor or rad cooling fan cut in) my lights will go dim for a second.

To point 3, I can't speak to this. I've never had my gas tank low enough for the low fuel light to come on.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you for your responses.

1. I guess I should have clarified, although I am not sure why everyone is assuming I was in reverse.... So just let me say - my car was NOT in reverse. I was driving - going forward and noticed it happening in my rear view mirror. I double checked to make sure the back was off, kept an eye out for it after I saw it happen the first time because it was weird to me. I have had the car for 4 years and have never seen that happen before. Granted that could just be pure luck. Just to be clear - I was not going in reverse.

2. I kind of figured that was the case... but wanted some other peoples input.

3. I let the gas go until the it clicked off - so it is possible it overfilled but it wasn't because I intentionally did anything. I will have to see what it does next time but that may take awhile.