2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All speakers out -- no audio.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:17 AM
All speakers out -- no audio.

Hi all,

I was hoping you could help me with my audio issue. I have a 2009 Honda Fit Sport w/ Navi. My front left tweeter was out so I opted to buy a new set of speakers and tweeters to give the Fit a little upgrade (I know updating the head unit is typically better, but I like the stock Navi... for now). I ended up buying the Metra 72-7800 Speaker Connector Harnesses for Select Honda Vehicles to hook in my Infinity Primus speakers.

Harness Adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Front Speakers/Tweeters:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rear Speakers
Amazon.com: Infinity Primus 6.5" 2-Way Loudspeaker-Each (Black): Electronics Amazon.com: Infinity Primus 6.5" 2-Way Loudspeaker-Each (Black): Electronics

I am a noob at this kind of stuff and just dabble every once in a while, but I hooked everything up (only replaced the rear speakers because my fronts and tweeters don't come in until this week) and the speakers sounded great. It lasted for a few half hour trips and then on my way home all 6 speakers just stopped. There is still power to my Navi/HU, but all audio has ceased to exist. I'm not sure if I could have shorted the system, maybe knocked loose some wiring, or what. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Stephen

Old 03-30-2015, 02:54 PM
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in but my first guess is those speakers are pulling too much power and overloading the head unit. You may need to look into a new head unit.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Did you check fuses?

Old 03-30-2015, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Did u solder?

Old 03-31-2015, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by DavefromCA
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in but my first guess is those speakers are pulling too much power and overloading the head unit. You may need to look into a new head unit.
Thanks for the suggestion, that was one of the things I was considering, but have yet to look into. When I get the chance, I plan on re-checking all the wiring and making sure there is not a short somewhere.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by MNfit
Did you check fuses?
Another thing I have considered, do you know the best place to find a fuse diagram for the Fit? I was googling it yesterday, but didn't have too much luck initially.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
Did u solder?
I used a harness instead of soldering.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Losing all of the audio at once would tend to indicate a problem with either the harness that contains the speaker wires or the headunit itself. If you shorted something, it is possible you took out the amp in the HU. Usually you get lucky and blow the fuse, but I've see it happen where the amp was cooked. Check all the fuses first and then go from there.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Xdeciph16
I used a harness instead of soldering.
U will still have to solder the harness to the radio harness. If u just taped it it will fall off.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by p220sigman
Losing all of the audio at once would tend to indicate a problem with either the harness that contains the speaker wires or the headunit itself. If you shorted something, it is possible you took out the amp in the HU. Usually you get lucky and blow the fuse, but I've see it happen where the amp was cooked. Check all the fuses first and then go from there.
Thanks for the advice, I checked out the fuses and they all seem to be in good shape.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
U will still have to solder the harness to the radio harness. If u just taped it it will fall off.
Oh all right, thanks. The positive and negative leads from the harness to the speaker seemed very snug. I'll look into this.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:30 PM
All right all, thanks for your help in initially diagnosing this issue! Here is what I just discovered...

I unhooked my left rear speaker and then turned on my engine and presto I had audio again. Granted, it did reset all of my presets on my radio, but I can live with that. So based on that information I am thinking either a short or the new speakers are drawing too much power so I'm going to test these speakers out and hold them away from any metal that could cause a short and try to play my stereo for longer than the two 30 minutes segments that it lasted last time.

If you all have any suggestions based on this new information I'm all ears, thanks again!

Old 04-01-2015, 05:26 AM
5 Year Member
Happened to me in my Accord: passenger speaker was causing a short (never found exactly where!) and the radio would not allow any output to protect itself. I removed the door panel, repositioned the speaker, and everything has been OK since.

As for the power, if you have 4 ohms speakers (I think car stereo are made for 4 ohms speakers), you will be fine. You would have a problem if you used lower resistance speakers (2 ohms for example).

Old 04-01-2015, 08:26 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Frenzal
Happened to me in my Accord: passenger speaker was causing a short (never found exactly where!) and the radio would not allow any output to protect itself. I removed the door panel, repositioned the speaker, and everything has been OK since.

As for the power, if you have 4 ohms speakers (I think car stereo are made for 4 ohms speakers), you will be fine. You would have a problem if you used lower resistance speakers (2 ohms for example).
Awesome, thanks for the input! I still need to check to make sure they run all right for an extended period of time without being put near any metal. However, I think I read something similar that the stock stereo was made for 4 ohm speakers, but the ones I purchased were actually 3 ohms...

Old 04-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Glad you may have found your problem. However, you should check all of the specs of the speakers you put in, as well as the head unit specs. That can tell you right away if you are overloading the unit.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by DavefromCA
Glad you may have found your problem. However, you should check all of the specs of the speakers you put in, as well as the head unit specs. That can tell you right away if you are overloading the unit.
Thanks Dave, I appreciate it. Do you all happen to know what the head unit specs are for an 09 Fit Sport with Nav? I was able to find some stuff, but not necessarily all the numbers I would have expected.