2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 12:45 PM
Purchasing Concerns

I'm looking at purchasing a used 2012 Honda Fit (Sport) with 11,000 miles from a Honda Dealership. I've talked to the dealer for a couple of days and they won't seem to budge on the price. I've asked a few other local Honda Dealerships, and they said their fees are the same regarding the documentary fee ($799.00).

I find that to be quite high and I'm almost positive it's basically only profit for the dealership. The current price they are asking is around $16,500 out the door. I might be terrible at negotiating, but I've been very stern that I want to pay $16,000 out the door. I find that to be reasonable for the year, miles, and warranty (certified pre-owned Honda). It is only $500, but saving anything possible is worth it!

It's been on their lot for 2 months roughly and they've recently reduced the price which is what interested me. Please correct me if I'm wrong if that's still a high price to pay.

In addition, is there anything I should look out for when inspecting the vehicle for a second time? I just know general things to check for via YouTube videos. My concern is why did the last owner sell the vehicle after making sure it was maintained inside and out? The report is 100% clean and has been maintained from all of the service records I've seen. I know that not all accidents are reported and there could be something hidden as well.

With it being a certified pre-owned Honda gives me "some" piece of mind.

Any advice is appreciated!

Old 05-27-2015, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
At first I thought the actual vehicle price was high, but according to Kelley, they're in the ballpark for a 2012. The good news is that Hondas hold their value so well. As far as the doc fees, I found an old article dated 2011 showing the average documentation fee in Florida was $607, with a high as much as $999 Average Dealer Documentation Fees by State . So unfortunately the doc fees are in the ballpark as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about the vehicle's condition. People get rid of cars for all sorts of different reasons. In terms of mileage, months, and deductible, the CPO warranty is actually better than the new car warranty. Everything is brought up to new car standards and the car will be like brand new when you take delivery.

Definitely sucks that the doc fees are so high. It is big profit for the dealer, but the fee they quoted looks about average. It still doesn't hurt to keep pushing for a discount though.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:49 PM
I'd pass on a Fit for that much money. There are nicer cars, IMO, for that kind of price. A CPO warranty is nice and all, but a Fit is about as reliable as a car as you'll ever find so how often do you think you'll be using it? Hardly ever. Despite what they say, it didn't cost them much to certify a Fit with that low of mileage.

If it were me, I'd find one with a little more mileage on it for less. I paid $12,000 for my 2012 Fit Sport with 45,000 miles on it. The car makes far more sense at that price point than it does at $16,000. For that kind of money I'd be shopping Civics, Mazda3s, etc., and not a Fit.

If you don't like the price, state your demands and walk out the door. The dealership is gambling on you being weaker than they are and coming back. $500 over the span of 3-5 years (the traditional length of a car loan) isn't much money though.

Last edited by n0thing; 05-27-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:34 PM
I paid 15k for my 2013 Sport with 16k miles on it Sep 2014. I too was a bit leery of a low mileage car that appeared to be in perfect shape but found out the previous owner was having a baby and needed a bigger car. I haven't had any problems at all with the car. I think my doc fee was around $400.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:01 AM
I wouldn't worry about the condition and maintenance of the car if it seems to be in good shape. 11,000 miles is barely broken in; if it's mostly highway driving (doubtful), that could be only a single oil change except for the "you should change it yearly" clause.

Even if that price is in line with the market, it seems crazy to me when a brand new Fit can be had for essentially the same list price. I looked at a similar set of circumstances when I was shopping for my Fit (in 2012)...and quite quickly decided that, somewhat unexpectedly, the new Fit was a better deal than a used Fit.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:11 PM
I'd give them a 12k number and work your way up. Usually used cars are bought between 40-60% of retail. That's why used cars are a HUGE money maker for dealers, someone already paid the depreciation on it....

Old 06-02-2015, 08:10 PM
Fits generally hold their value and are high priced at dealerships. Try using Craigslist and widening search locations. Great choice by the way: 2012s and 2013s are very good years for the Fit, they had all the issues worked out. Good luck!