2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Advice on 1st non-original tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 05:21 AM
I need to replace two tires on my '11. The front tires are in great shape, but I had some road debris force me to replace two, at different times. In spite of my front tires being relatively new, when I have no choice but to replace the rear, I'm going to get four. It just makes sense to me, plus I like symmetry!

Old 04-09-2016, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Tire experts also suggest to keep all tires of the same make due to different tread patterns that vary in performance . Tirerack talks of this . So , purchase 2 new of what you have at this time or 4 new and sell the other .

Old 04-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Odie
Tire experts also suggest to keep all tires of the same make due to different tread patterns that vary in performance . Tirerack talks of this . So , purchase 2 new of what you have at this time or 4 new and sell the other .
I have Toyo Versados on the front. The first one was all I could find when I got a flat a road trip. Bought the second one to match, but I don't think I want to get two more. I'll probably go with Avid Ascends or the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I had Pilot Sports on the car before, though, and they haven't gotten the greatest wear in terms of mileage, plus I had two sidewall cuts---something that has never happened to me in 40 years of driving.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
I can't wait to be rid of my Avid Ascends.

Though I'll be replacing them with a set of proper snows & proper summer tires.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by McSnarkson
...Tires with less tread (but not down to the wires) will grip better than new tires on dry pavement...
This gives me pause. I am trying to imagine an old, bald tire, or even an old, worn tire. I suppose you want to argue that the contact patch of a "slick" offers more grip. Why are we even having this discussion about street tires?

...Replace all of the tires on one axle if funds are tight...
Crazy people violate this rule.

..I recommend all four if you can swing it, and don't forget to rotate those tires...
This.

I'll state my view simply: To all and everyone, spend your hard-earned and pitifully few dollars. Buy tires early and often. Forego the Saturday at Disneyland. Buy tires with the money you save. Stop kidding yourself that an automobile is a music listening booth. Yank out your expensive aftermarket woofers and tweeters. Sell them like a crackhead sells stolen property. Buy tires with the money. Spend lots of money on tires. Get a reputation as a man that no woman will marry because you spend all your money on tires. Become devoted, like a monk. A tire monk. Eat white rice and live frugally so that you can spend your paychecks on tires. If people say things about you and your tire buying practices, consider that they are jealous. They lack wisdom. Ignore them. Buy more tires. God expresses his love for humanity by giving us the gift of tire technology. All is well. Buy tires. Selah.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
This gives me pause. I am trying to imagine an old, bald tire, or even an old, worn tire. I suppose you want to argue that the contact patch of a "slick" offers more grip. Why are we even having this discussion about street tires?

Crazy people violate this rule.

This.

I'll state my view simply: To all and everyone, spend your hard-earned and pitifully few dollars. Buy tires early and often. Forego the Saturday at Disneyland. Buy tires with the money you save. Stop kidding yourself that an automobile is a music listening booth. Yank out your expensive aftermarket woofers and tweeters. Sell them like a crackhead sells stolen property. Buy tires with the money. Spend lots of money on tires. Get a reputation as a man that no woman will marry because you spend all your money on tires. Become devoted, like a monk. A tire monk. Eat white rice and live frugally so that you can spend your paychecks on tires. If people say things about you and your tire buying practices, consider that they are jealous. They lack wisdom. Ignore them. Buy more tires. God expresses his love for humanity by giving us the gift of tire technology. All is well. Buy tires. Selah.
Or, get a reputation as a woman who settles for nothing less than the best!

Old 04-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
I can't wait to be rid of my Avid Ascends.

Though I'll be replacing them with a set of proper snows & proper summer tires.
What do you dislike about your Avids?

Old 04-09-2016, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
Not particularly quiet, nor comfortable.

Very little grip to satisfy my enthusiast's desires from the car.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Not particularly quiet, nor comfortable.

Very little grip to satisfy my enthusiast's desires from the car.
Perhaps they'd be fine for someone who just drives in a "spirited" manner? For road trips and around town?
We don't have the weather here to warrant switching between summer and winter tires, so All-Season is the way I have to go. We do have rain, that's for sure.
There are so few choices in the 175/65r15 size, which is what I want to stick with....

Old 04-09-2016, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
Or, get a reputation as a woman who settles for nothing less than the best!
My kinda woman. Please don't tell me you're married.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:07 PM
You... I like you.

Too many people I've seen will dump money into appearance items but balk at putting quality parts that they use all the time. Using quality tires, brakes, and suspension components is one of the best upgrades you can do to a car.

Last edited by McSnarkson; 04-21-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:36 AM
My kinda woman. Please don't tell me you're married.
Not telling!

Old 04-10-2016, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
Not telling!
Hard to get? Hmm. I like you even better. It's amazing how tires can bring the right people together, don't you agree.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
You... I like you.

Too many people I've seen will dump money into appearance items but balk at putting quality parts that they use all the time. Using quality tires, brakes, and suspension components is one of the best upgrades you can do to a car.
I learned the hard way not to skimp on brakes and tires...more than once.