2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filler cap stuck, need Channelocks!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Oil filler cap stuck, need Channelocks!

Did my oil change yesterday. The biggest PITA was removing the plastic oil fill cap. Had to find my old Channelock pliers to twist it loose. Apparently evil Honda designers weren't paying much attn to this detail. The straight grip on the top sits turned so that straight pliers can't get on it. And it sits partway beneath the windshield to further block access, makes filling oil even more fun without dumping it all over the motor, even with a funnel. Klutzy sloppy design! Seems the clearances or the O-ring are a couple of thousandths too snug, and it just bakes itself in place. Always just hand tightened it after filling. So I'm getting a billet aluminum cap to replace it, used to have one on my old Civic which worked great. Had a positive stop at the end of the threads, zero issues with getting stuck. Granted, the Civic had an aluminum valve cover instead of the Fit's plastic one, but this should be easier to remove. Anybody have a favorite they like? Considering this for instance:

Amazon.com: Billet Engine Oil Fuel Filler Tank Cap Cover For Honda Acura Civic TL Color Blue: Automotive Amazon.com: Billet Engine Oil Fuel Filler Tank Cap Cover For Honda Acura Civic TL Color Blue: Automotive

Old 09-20-2015, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Some people seem to gorilla everything they touch, never understanding, "Quit tightening when it stops moving".

I use the channel locks myself.
Overcomes the effects of carpal tunnel syndrome from trying to remove overtightened oil caps....

Old 09-20-2015, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Reconsidering the aluminum cap. Transmits heat real good, so you get to burn your fingers while cursing as you try to remove it! Found local auto parts carry Stant replacement caps with grips on top for less than $5. That's the main issue, you just can't grab the stock one and twist it easily. Not an over tightening issue. Just seems to bind up from heat. And you've just drained oil from the motor while it's hot, who ever adds oil when it's cold?!

Last edited by gkitf16; 09-20-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:45 AM
5 Year Member
My J's cap never tried to burn me. Granted, you'll pay a bit more than $9 for it, but its a nice piece, and I don't have to worry about quality control:

Name:  62F3XIY.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  421.7 KB