2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken rocker arm bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 12:05 PM
Broken rocker arm bolts?

Found an open LMS recall on my '09 Fit last week (second owner, the previous owner didn't address everything as well as I thought), set up an appointment with the dealership to have them inspected and, if necessary, replaced. The service manager called the first day and said they needed to be replaced under the recall, but they also found that the rocker arm bolts/screws had broken. His head mechanic said that he'd only seen that once or twice before in the 200 or so of these LMS recalls he's done over the last 4 1/2 years.

Just got the car back last night and it's running a bit better, owing partially to the valve adjustment. But I'm wondering if the broken bolts/screws indicates a deeper problem, something that can come back to bite me later on. Has anyone else ever run into this?

Old 09-22-2015, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
they also found that the rocker arm bolts/screws had broken.
I haven't seen that in my little corner of the planet, but I did see an occasional spring broken during those recalls...and I can't picture how one of the springs could cause an adjuster to break.

Where did the adjusters break off?
Any stripped threads?
Stretched threads?

Some gorilla got overzealous trying to tighten the adjusters?

Any pics of the broken parts?

Old 09-23-2015, 03:53 AM
Originally Posted by ezone
I haven't seen that in my little corner of the planet, but I did see an occasional spring broken during those recalls...and I can't picture how one of the springs could cause an adjuster to break.

Where did the adjusters break off?
Any stripped threads?
Stretched threads?

Some gorilla got overzealous trying to tighten the adjusters?

Any pics of the broken parts?
Unfortunately, no. I asked them to hold onto the bolts and springs for me to look at in person and to take pics, but the service manager I talked to forgot to hold onto them before sending them out to qualify for the recall. The bolts were in bad enough shape though that they needed to overnight them from another dealership. I'll call them and ask to talk to the guy who did the work, he might be able to give me a better idea of what it all looked like.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
I'll call them and ask to talk to the guy who did the work,
It's not a big enough deal to bother them with, it was more for my own curiosity than anything because I have not seen the issue here.

If it's fixed, it's fixed. Enjoy it.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by ezone
It's not a big enough deal to bother them with, it was more for my own curiosity than anything because I have not seen the issue here.

If it's fixed, it's fixed. Enjoy it.
Yeah, it was more for my own curiosity as well, but as the shop had already sent the springs and bolts into Honda for the recall to be covered, it was no big deal. I was just glad all of it was taken care of under the recall. Plus I got a valve adjustment in the process, which I'd been considering anyway, so it worked out in the end.