2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with clutch hydraulic failures?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
Experience with clutch hydraulic failures?

2009 Fit here with 50k miles. I noticed the clutch fluid reservoir is at the minimum level.

The clutch slave cylinder is dry. Clutch pedal area is dry. The master cylinder is an unknown without removing cowling items to inspect it. (Which it will probably come to.)

Has anyone else had a master cylinder leak or failure? I'm surprised with this relatively early failure. The fluid is not contaminated and still looks new.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
Mine's an '09 Sport MT with about 150k miles and the clutch is still working well (but a heat shield fell off the catalytic converter yesterday. Rust. First I've heard of this sort of thing). So, yes, your situation sounds unusual.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
I inspected the clutch master cylinder this morning. I used the factory service manual to remove the airbox (Hint, take out the battery first.) and used a cell phone camera.

The master cylinder is dry as a bone. I followed all lines to the slave, all dry. The rubber boot on the slave cylinder is torn, but is dry. I lifted up the interior carpet under the pedals, dry.

I'm going to top off the reservoir and keep an eye on it. The clutch functions fine so I'll wait and see.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:28 PM
It would seem to me that as the clutch plate wears (gets thinner) over time, additional fluid would be taken into the slave cylinder. Maybe that's what you are seeing?

Old 05-06-2016, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gderf
It would seem to me that as the clutch plate wears (gets thinner) over time, additional fluid would be taken into the slave cylinder. Maybe that's what you are seeing?
I think the pressure plate travel would remain the same regardless of wear. I could be wrong, though.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
I Just had my first hydraulic clutch-related issue this week. 2009 fit w/ ~83,000 miles. Everything seemed fine until one morning last week it was hard to get into gear. I had to mash the clutch all the way into the carpet to change gears up or down. I guess looking back it could have been getting progressively worse over time, but I really hadn't noticed. Seemed to happen overnight. Anyway, the fluid was below the minimum mark and it had slowly been drawing in air. After bleeding and bleeding and bleeding some more, I got all the air bubbles and dirty black fluid out, and it shifts better than it ever has. No evidence of a leak, so who knows where it went or if it will happen again. I'll just have to do a better job making sure the reservoir is topped off. Good luck to you.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by teamkitty
I Just had my first hydraulic clutch-related issue this week. 2009 fit w/ ~83,000 miles. Everything seemed fine until one morning last week it was hard to get into gear. I had to mash the clutch all the way into the carpet to change gears up or down. I guess looking back it could have been getting progressively worse over time, but I really hadn't noticed. Seemed to happen overnight. Anyway, the fluid was below the minimum mark and it had slowly been drawing in air. After bleeding and bleeding and bleeding some more, I got all the air bubbles and dirty black fluid out, and it shifts better than it ever has. No evidence of a leak, so who knows where it went or if it will happen again. I'll just have to do a better job making sure the reservoir is topped off. Good luck to you.
This sounds identical to my car, except I caught it before air entered the system. At least the fix is cheap. (1 bottle of brake fluid.)

Old 05-25-2016, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Dont know if our cars do it,, but,, On some master cylinders there is a weep hole that routs the fluid leaking from the interior seal on the master cylinder to a channel in the body so the fluid does not stain the carpet. O unless you have a really clean garage floor that would show a drip of break fluid you never know till it quits working that there is a leak.