2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

HELP! My axle popped out when i was changing struts, what do i do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
HELP! My axle popped out when i was changing struts, what do i do?

Can someone please help me, my axle from the transmission side popped out when i was changing my struts, I am not sure what to do, i have that big 32mm socket to take out the axle completely, but the issue is there is no strut on there and it is unable to bolt up because of the angle of the axle being popped out, so i do not believe i will be able to take out the axle completely to guide it in.

has this happened to someone? what did you do exactly to fix it?

Old 08-23-2016, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
Can someone please help me, my axle from the transmission side popped out when i was changing my struts, I am not sure what to do, i have that big 32mm socket to take out the axle completely, but the issue is there is no strut on there and it is unable to bolt up because of the angle of the axle being popped out, so i do not believe i will be able to take out the axle completely to guide it in.

has this happened to someone? what did you do exactly to fix it?
Fixed! Thankgod. Had to unbolt it from the arm and wiggle and shove until the CV joint got back on

Old 08-23-2016, 07:36 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, i mentioned dis too MANY times on this forum already, but use ur hydraulic or even ur scissors jack to support the lower arm when doing strut swaps. makes it a lot easier to put it back together too if working by urself cause you can raise it into the tower holes.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:10 AM
Thx so much for all the useful info here.

I had the same issue.....Inner driver CV joint pulled out while replacing struts.
Ultimately was able to get it back in, but it was a real PITA. Here' my experience:

I tried to turn and push it in w/ the boot on, but it would only go in part way (if your solo, put it in neutral for a manual, get under the car and rotate the inner cup right next to the tranny by hand until, you can push the axle in to the point where it engages, but it probably wont go further.

After a half hour of not getting it to go beyond partly in, I finally ended up cutting off the CV boot from the transmission to really see what was going on. Be careful doing this, have a clean surface underneath, as the bearing wheels are liable to fall off their rods on the axle, and grit must absolutely be kept off of them.

Even w/ the boot pulled back, I tried several times to get it beyond the partly-in point, it seems that the bearings tend to misalign off their rods, preventing further insertion. It eventually just went in. The steering was straight forward and the control arm jacked up to having the axle parallel to the drive when it finally did, but it did take several tries....patience.

There are suggestions if you have an assistant to have both wheels jacked up and rotate the opposite wheel while trying to reengage, but make sure you have the tranny in a 5th gear (I think park on an auto), as in neutral, the rotation will not translate across it.

Bottom line to prevent this in the first place when replacing struts is to make sure the top of the wheel assembly is not able to flop outwards. A couple well-placed cinder blocks, or some other method will avoid this.

Hope this helps, Steve

Last edited by shloukin; 11-01-2019 at 12:50 AM.