2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabled with hand controls, I've got a question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
Disabled with hand controls, I've got a question

I have a GE '09 Sport. I love it, but I'm starting to out grow it. I may start looking into a larger Honda, but I need to find out which other Honda models my current Fit hand controls will work in.

Anyone know off hand if a crossover sized Honda would have the same space configuration in the cockpit (steering wheel size/length, pedal locations, tilt steering mechanism) as my Fit?

If not, think a dealer would know, or should I call a mobility company that installs hand controls?

Thanks!
Lisa W

Old 12-25-2016, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Wish I could be of more help but what I will say is, just go to the dealership and find the car you like. And THEN tell the salesman that you will buy the car IF he can make it work for you in the new car.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't done it in a long time, but I have dealt with a few various handicapped modifications and repairs/maintenance.

More than once I have swapped hand controls (lever type) from one car to another completely different car.
Mounting the upper handle part in a location that was acceptable to the driver was the only thing that required some thinking.

The length of the rods that attached to the pedals were very adjustable, seemed like they could be adjusted to work with just about any car in that regard.

Your controls may be different but that was my experience.

I believe all Hondas have tilt column these days, and most can adjust in and out as well as up and down.