2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement cost for rear shocks on 2009 Fit Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Replacement cost for rear shocks on 2009 Fit Sport?

My 2009 Fit Sport has 68k miles on it and, after taking it for oil service to the dealer in LA, I was told that the two rear shocks have a small leak and need replacing (but it can wait a few months apparently...). I was quoted $711 for the replacement and wheel alignment. I tried to inspect this myself and don't see any signs of leaking (shocks are dry as a rock) and no bouncing.

Am I getting upsold on something that I don't need? And what is a fair price for this service?

Thanks!

Last edited by ralphch; 01-07-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
I was told that I need to replace the two rear shocks since they have a small leak. They said it's not urgent.
NOT URGENT is the key. Most of those shocks will normally show a light film of oil when the car is in the air and the shocks are fully extended, someone may just be seeing this normal dampness or stain while working under the car.

Prove the work needs to be done first.

If one or both rear shocks were truly leaking, there would be oil and/or much dirt collected on the lower shock body....and the rear of the car would usually bounce excessively after a significant amount of oil has been lost from the shock(s). (Get a flashlight, stick your head under there and look)

Google 'shock absorber bounce test', read how to do it, and try it on the rear of your car. If it doesn't bounce excessively and one side of the car doesn't bounce more/easier than the other, they are probably fine.

Many of Hondas struts and shocks can outlast the cars they are bolted to....but a few don't.
I personally don't like to recommend replacement until they are verified bad and truly needed. My GFs 07 Fit has over 200k on the originals.

I'm in Los Angeles. Is this a fair price?
I suspect it's more like needless expense and overzealous upselling IMO, unless they are really bad and in need of replacement.
Again, prove the work needs to be done first.

For rear shocks alone, price seems really high......if it were in my area of the country....but you're in LA so labor cost will be higher just because of your location.

The rear shocks from the dealer will be about 150 each or higher depending on their markup system.

What's their hourly labor fee? Multiply that x1.2, that's the "book" time to replace both rear shocks according to Alldata.
Add some dollars for tax and other fees like: shop supplies, the owners' daughters' college fund, owners boat slip, cabana boy, etc.

Get a written, detailed estimate before you considering doing it.

IMO, unless the car is actually in need of wheel alignment, skip the wheel alignment. The job of replacing rear shocks on that car does not require wheel alignment.

/skeptical

Old 01-07-2017, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Hi ezone, thanks so much for your advice. After starting this thread, I tried these things and did not find any noticeable issues: the shocks look bone dry on the outside and I'm not getting any bounce. Maybe I should stop worrying, wait a few months and do another inspection at another shop on my next oil change.

If I end up needing shocks in the future, should I just buy them online and have a local shop install them? I saw the KYB Excel-G shocks mentioned and they seem to be a lot cheaper than the OEM ones. Which ones would you recommend?

I don't have the skills to work on my car, but definitely don't want to throw my money away.

Thanks again

Old 01-07-2017, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
but definitely don't want to throw my money away.
If you don't NEED them (and it sounds like you don't), keep on driving and enjoy the $700+ you didn't spend. Buy yourself dinner and a movie or something.
I don't have the skills to work on my car,
You spend that 700 on a set of tools, a nice jack and safety stands and learn?

If I end up needing shocks in the future, should I just buy them online and have a local shop install them? I saw the KYB Excel-G shocks mentioned and they seem to be a lot cheaper than the OEM ones. Which ones would you recommend?
Hard for me to say. I work for a dealer, I can't comment much on aftermarket parts.

You can always find cheaper....that applies to just about anything. You may get what you pay for though. Research.

KYB is one of Hondas OE suppliers (but I can't be sure who made the shocks on your particular car), so I might be comfortable using the brand if I were looking to get an original type equivalent. Research first, they have far more choices than just a stock replacement part, probably with varying quality levels too.

Many shops don't allow you to bring your own parts.
Some may, but may not warranty anything.
Some might jack up labor fees to cover lost parts profit.
Inquire with your shops before you go this route.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks ezone! Really appreciate the advice! Will definitely post back if anything changes with my shocks.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:10 PM
and thanks to ezone from this lurker too!