1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Replace 2007 FIT Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 12:08 PM
Replace 2007 FIT Rear Shocks

Hello,
I need to replace my rear shocks and have already bought some KYB replacements. I have been unable to find a start to finish DIY on how to do this. I did find the air shocks thread - but for me - I need more info. The air shocks thread did a good job of explain gin how to take the old ones out - but from there it is a completely different job. Big remaining questions are:

- What prep if any do I need to do to the new shocks to get them ready and in? Like transfer of nuts or bushings and Is there a special way to "extend" the new shock?
- Will three be any need to compress the extended shock to get it installed? Will this require special tools?
- What are the required torque setting and for which bolts?
- Will the car need an alignment afterwards? Just had one when I put on new tires last week?

Sorry of these things should be obvious - just never done this.

Thank you.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mkok
Hello,
I need to replace my rear shocks and have already bought some KYB replacements. I have been unable to find a start to finish DIY on how to do this. I did find the air shocks thread - but for me - I need more info. The air shocks thread did a good job of explain gin how to take the old ones out - but from there it is a completely different job. Big remaining questions are:

- What prep if any do I need to do to the new shocks to get them ready and in? Like transfer of nuts or bushings and Is there a special way to "extend" the new shock?
- Will three be any need to compress the extended shock to get it installed? Will this require special tools?
- What are the required torque setting and for which bolts?
- Will the car need an alignment afterwards? Just had one when I put on new tires last week?

Sorry of these things should be obvious - just never done this.

Thank you.
Have you done any suspension work before? Any Honda's?

Old 03-29-2014, 09:38 PM
No suspension work. Pulled and replaced some wheel bearings - replaced calipers, etc -- That is the closest to the shocks I have come. I have always been able to do any job I set out to do - but I like to have instructions - especially from people who have done it. Usually I just hit hit the Haynes manual or youtube - but Haynes doesn't have a First Gen manual and there is nothing on youtube.

Is the 07 FIT set up just like another year/model honda (civic etc)?

Old 03-29-2014, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit rear is different then my past experience on 92-00 Honda civics. I just went at it with my coil-overs. Didn't run into any trouble with the rear. The front was a different story for the driver side. But that doesn't pertain to your situation.

Since you are only replacing the struts it's fairly easy.

Just jack up the rear and use jack stands on both sides. Remove the wheels. Place your jack under the spring perch with some light pressure. Then hit the top mount bolt. After hit the bottom strut bolt. If this doesn't pop out SLOWLY let the jack down. Strut should just come out. Then follow on the other side. Easy man. The nice thing about most Honda I've felt is it an easy look at and do process.

If you attempt the fronts please be cautious of the driver side axle popping out of the housing. But until you get to that point I will save the speech.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. You'll be ok with it.

Good luck!

Old 03-29-2014, 11:24 PM
I swear there is a DIY floating around here somewhere. I only know that because I used it when I swapped springs and struts last year sometime. I remember that you have to pop off the plastic piece that covers the rear struts from within the cabin and use a hex key and a wrench of some sort to remove the nuts from both struts. Then you have to jack up the rear end and remove both rear wheels. After that you can continue to jack up the rear end which will lower struts right out of their respective holes. After you do that you have to remove the lower nuts of the struts. Replace with new struts, and reinstall in reverse order. I don't remember the torque settings. There shouldn't be a need to get an alignment because everything in the rear end pretty much stays in place, but whenever you mess with suspension stuff you should get an alignment. I'll try to find the DIY and post the link.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:52 PM
Found it (kind of): https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...07-08-gd3.html Just skip to step 16 of the first post. I'd say read the entire thread first, paying special attention to posts 58, 128, and 134.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
I just skimmed it quickly, but it looks like Tofuman did a nice job on that DIY.