2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Help a girl out<3

Old 01-24-2017, 11:36 PM
Help a girl out<3

i made an account because today at my work someone backed into my milano red 2013 fit the guy totally smashed my rear window and the tailgate itself caved in. i want to replace the entire tailgate myself but i cant seem to find any diy, tutorial or anything on the forums and internet and youtube showing how to replace it :'(. i know it cant be that hard and i really want to do it myself instead of getting it done by a body shop. the guys' insurance company is paying for the repair to fix it entirely but.....i was thinking i could take the cash and fix it all myself, that way i can keep some of that money for my s2000 fund. please, please, please help meh. i'd upload a pic but idk how. to give you an idea it kind of looks like the picture in this link but really not as bad. the bumper is totally fine and the outside body panels are fine(quarter panels). only the tailgate itself is caved in and needs a replacement. CompleteVMS ? Motor Accident Claims Repairs, Car Camera, Accident Reporting, Vehicle Servicing, etc ? Honda Fit

Old 01-25-2017, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
You need to at least consider having your Fit professionally repaired.. Body work isn't easy to do correctly..

Old 01-25-2017, 12:53 AM
It isn't that damaged... Shouldn't it just bolf off and bolt a new(used) one back on? Like removing a door and putting another one on? Thank you for your input but I'd appreciate if someone had experience or knowledge that can help me out. Like, a diy or tutorial. I might just do it myself and post the results this weekend if I don't get any help and make a tutorial for you all incase it ever happens(hopefully not).

Old 01-25-2017, 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
You need to at least consider having your Fit professionally repaired.. Body work isn't easy to do correctly..
I've considered it, but fixing it myself will be so great knowing I did something to my own car with my own hands don't you think?

Old 01-25-2017, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
I'll go out and look at my Fit tomorrow in order to see how involved that type of repair is likely to be.. I'm thinking that a professionally done repair is going to make your car more valuable if you choose to use it as a trade in...

Old 01-25-2017, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Wily. Good advice. If she were to buy a new door all the little bits would have to be transferred from old if still working/not broken. A two person job at least unless she can hold the door in one hand and wrench it with the other.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Hey Wily. Good advice. If she were to buy a new door all the little bits would have to be transferred from old if still working/not broken. A two person job at least unless she can hold the door in one hand and wrench it with the other.
aww, I can't believe I didn't think of that. I would totally need a helping hand. Too bad I'm single 😪... Maybe I'll ask my neighbors if they'll help, or my brother if he isn't too busy. Do you guys think it's an easy job, just unloosening the old trunk off and fitting a new one? As long as it's functional I don't mind if the color doesn't match my car(lol)

Old 01-25-2017, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
are you saying that the first picture of the red Fit with the entire back end smashed in is your car???? Sure doesn't look like a do it yourself job to me. I'd be very worried about rear axle damage and parts of the jigsaw puzzle not fitting together very well when additional displaced items are discovered after the liftgate is removed.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:21 PM
There could be misalignment you don't see and it might not fit right.

If you want to start working on your own car, don't start with something hard.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Changing the rear gate is about a 20 minute job, just did mine a couple months ago.

1. You have to open the driver side panel behind the tail light. There is a wiring harness for the hatch down through the rear pillar to that cavity. (You can see it on the left at the top with the hatch open. ) I used a step ladder to hold up the hatch. Grab the rubber seal and rock it back and forth you might need a small item like a butter knife to help squish it to get it out of the hole, then reach up in the tail light cavity and wiggle the cable form the top tip you can feel the wire follow it to the connector there is a little release tab that lets the connector pop open. Tie a piece of heavy string to the harness, its to make it easier to pull the new one through. Then pull the harness up and out at the top. Untie the string leaving it in the pillar.

2. Remove the bottom end of the struts that hold the hatch up. There is a little clip you pry out then they pop off.

3. You'll need a second set of hands here.. Remove the 4 bolts holding the hinge to the body, the hatch is very light so you only need a interested neighbor kid if necessary..

4. Reverse the process. When you put the hinge bolts in just tighten them lightly, then let the hatch down to see if all the gaps around the edge line up, you'll also be aligning the door to the hole, there is just a little slop in the hinge holes. , if they do line up nicely your gold, if not you need to have the rear checked at a body shop. The bumper cover hides a lot. Also the fit rear hatch doesn't line up perfect, I'm talking the gaps look good at about 5 feet.. Then open gently and final tighten them.

I used a little touch up paint then some grease on the holes and bolts of the hinges,there
were traces of rust under mine.

Take it easy and use your cell phone camera if you want to remember how something looked before you take it apart.

Good Luck

Old 01-25-2017, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
I would think this would be very possible to do.
You would definitely need somebody to help. If not two others. One to hold up back after the hydraulics are unbolted and one on each side to loosen bolts or hold that side while you work on the other.
Just make sure to pull the washer fluid hose and pull and unplug the harness on top part of window. The plug is inside hidden under the panels. Use a 6pt socket(not 12) when loosening the bolts because they are stupid tight on there just like the hood latches. I have to wonder if they use a loc-tite or specialize bolts/nuts for these. Kind of like the bolts the hold seat belts and seats in...

Last edited by Dean; 01-26-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:13 PM
THANK YOU, I owe you one
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Changing the rear gate is about a 20 minute job, just did mine a couple months ago.
THANK YOU, I owe you one
1. You have to open the driver side panel behind the tail light. There is a wiring harness for the hatch down through the rear pillar to that cavity. (You can see it on the left at the top with the hatch open. ) I used a step ladder to hold up the hatch. Grab the rubber seal and rock it back and forth you might need a small item like a butter knife to help squish it to get it out of the hole, then reach up in the tail light cavity and wiggle the cable form the top tip you can feel the wire follow it to the connector there is a little release tab that lets the connector pop open. Tie a piece of heavy string to the harness, its to make it easier to pull the new one through. Then pull the harness up and out at the top. Untie the string leaving it in the pillar.

2. Remove the bottom end of the struts that hold the hatch up. There is a little clip you pry out then they pop off.

3. You'll need a second set of hands here.. Remove the 4 bolts holding the hinge to the body, the hatch is very light so you only need a interested neighbor kid if necessary..

4. Reverse the process. When you put the hinge bolts in just tighten them lightly, then let the hatch down to see if all the gaps around the edge line up, you'll also be aligning the door to the hole, there is just a little slop in the hinge holes. , if they do line up nicely your gold, if not you need to have the rear checked at a body shop. The bumper cover hides a lot. Also the fit rear hatch doesn't line up perfect, I'm talking the gaps look good at about 5 feet.. Then open gently and final tighten them.

I used a little touch up paint then some grease on the holes and bolts of the hinges,there
were traces of rust under mine.

Take it easy and use your cell phone camera if you want to remember how something looked before you take it apart.

Good Luck

Old 01-25-2017, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dean
I would think this would be very possible to do.
You would definitely need somebody to help. If bot two others. One to hold up back after the hydraulics are unbolted and one on each side to loosen bolts or hold that side while you work on the other.
Just make sure to pull the washer fluid hose and pull and unplug the harness on top part of window. The plug is inside hidden under the panels. Use a 6pt socket(not 12) when loosening the bolts because they are stupid tight on there just like the hood latches. I have to wonder if they use a lactate or specialize bolts/nuts for these. Kind of like the bolts the hold seat belts and seats in...
thank you kindly for your advice. I'll be posting the after picture for you all, you're all helping me so much! you should feel great knowing you helped someone today and helped them learn something. I will now have confidence in life to do this again and teach others!<3 ~Veronica

Old 01-25-2017, 08:20 PM
Not so bad eh? Don't do anything creepy with my plate 😡

Old 01-25-2017, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
That damage doesn't look as bad as I was thinking it would.. If you can get someone to assist you, it should be fairly easy.. Two heads are better than one..

Old 01-25-2017, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
I totally agree. That is a LOT less damage than the red Fit you had posted in the original link. Very repairable, and reasonably easy for a do-it-yourselfer. Go for it.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
Hatch Replacement

Good luck on your repair, and kudos to you for wanting to DIY!!
I didn't really learn about my first car UNTIL I started working on it. Get the most competent help/advisor that you can!

Old 01-27-2017, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
My daughter now who holds a master degree and is now 35 years old started working on her own cars at around 16 years old. She has always done almost everything herself. She has replaced two engines on two different vehicles and does all routine maintenance herself. She just replaced an in tank fuel pump for my wife.

One time a few years back she took her car in for a front end alignment. They put the car on the rack and the service adviser said:

" Your ball joints are worn. We need to replace them before we can do an alignment"

She said:
"which ones are worn?"

The adviser replied:
"The 2 lower and the 2 upper. All 4 of them"

She said:
"I just replaced the 2 lower ones 2 weeks ago. That is why I wanted the car aligned."

The advised said:
"Well, they did not replace them. Who did the work?"

She said:
"I did".
"Take my car off of your rack and I'll take it to an honest place for an alignment."

So the more you learn or personal experience you develop, the better off you will be when you do take your car in for work somewhere."

Old 01-29-2017, 06:05 AM
5 Year Member
I can see why it happened. Someone slipped on the banana peal.